JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Had enough, 2010 R57 JCW/Timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:02 AM
R57gator
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had enough, 2010 R57 JCW/Timing chain

Well where should I start.
Hope scoop melting, just bought a titanium shield from nm installed tonight.
Bought a high dollar catch can, not installed. BSH ?..... (worried they will blame me) yet.
Have a maintenance warranty done twice over so BMW has no excuses. The car has never seen a bad day. The car is always been garaged . I stated the Damn thing sounds like it's gonna blow up . Had the timing chain replaced in less then six months ago. No clue why this is happening, but don't wanna pass the buck. The car has less than 28, 000 on it.
I stated to the dealer (Seattle Mini) this isn't good. I understand that it's over three. Really, C'mon and no reply or return call. Does anyone have this going on?
Hello please help!
Jeez

Old 03-05-2015, 06:08 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
to be honest i could barely understand what you were saying.. hopefully your phone calls to the dealer are a little clearer

Old 03-05-2015, 06:54 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:56 PM
R57gator
Neutral
Oh yeah oil level always checked. I'm trying to eliminate the known issues with this vehicle.
The car is in proper condition, but the R57 is out of warranty now due to years not miles. I'm sorry I wasn't perfectly clear. I'm hoping BMW will still work out these issues with me, but you never know.
Considering the top notch maintenance the car has had I just have trouble throwing money away on daily basis. I really like it, but I feel as if I keep going backwards due poor engineering.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:06 PM
R57gator
Neutral
Sorry yes the timing chain was replaced about six months ago. Walnut blasting is not exactly going to fix the ongoing process of carbon build up through the direct injection. Hence the oil catch can I'm going to install to reduce at least some of the residual oil build up through the turbo and intercooler from the pcv system. I've heard also about water/alcohol? Injection that might also help with carbon build up.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 PM
R57gator
Neutral
Originally Posted by kyoo
to be honest i could barely understand what you were saying.. hopefully your phone calls to the dealer are a little clearer
I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. I did respond to the lack of clarity hoping to make the issues I'm dealing somewhat clearer. I thank you for your time.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Hi I would maybe start with a nice test drive of a similar vehicle I don't think it needs to be JCW. Then I would of course be sure the car was the same as when I got it and make an appointment with another MINI dealer. Ask for their slowest day of the week. Remember the service staff are your representative with BMW so you want to keep things as friendly as possible. The dealer is generally happy to do warranty work. You do need to ask very carefully to have things fixed, there are situations where if the customer does not ask they will simply skip a defect, this is not the dealer but BMW rules. So be sure to say you want any problems found in any of the work brought to your attention and repaired. As far as carbon build up and walnut blasting BMW has as far as I know taken the sad position that it is maintenance, because this gets into a huge emissions certification problem I think I would just pay for that. So if I understand correctly you have two main issues. One you have had the hood scoop melt which would be generally an issue of over heating of some sort, so a full check of the cooing system is in order this would include the oil filter housing and turbo cooling lines (oil and coolant) as well as the thermostat and an evaluation if any lasting heat damage was caused. Two you have had a timing chain replaced and think that there may be continuing issues. The techs are good at these but sometimes the tension on the chain can get a bit off and it may need to be reset. Finally if you feel that the performance is not on par with a similar model you will want to say so and have a complete checkup as well. If none of this brings your smile back, Mini resale prices are in my opinion to high. The new Cooper S is a new engine so could be an option although for the price I would have to compare it with a lot of good cars.