JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Clutch differences and Clutch Stop Options

Old 01-09-2015, 09:31 AM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch differences and Clutch Stop Options

I own a 2012 MINI JCW. My wife has a 2013 MINI JCW. They have a VERY different clutch feeling.

I'd describe it like this:

2012: Resistance (push back) all the way through the pedal travel to the floor (100% of the throw).

2013: Resistance (push back) 75% of the pedal throw (towards the floor). After that, the pedal becomes "lighter", like it's assisted, for the last 25% of the pedal travel to the floor.

We both hate how her clutch feels/drives. She wishes she could get hers to feel more like mine. It's very hard to get a good feel on her clutch because right when the clutch is about to engage, the clutch become heavy (when you are lifting up your foot to engage the clutch, the assistance seems to come off and the pedal becomes "heavy" again) right at the wrong time in the pedal travel.

We've taken it to the dealer to see if there was a problem but they assured us this is how the 2013's drive. They even brought us a 2013 roadster so we could feel its clutch, and it matched my wife's 2013 clutch feel (lighter/assisted the last 25% of the throw).

I thought a clutch stop might help as the clutch seems to be fully disengaged before the last 25% of the throw. I ordered the $10 BMS clutch stop, but this does not even come close to stopping the pedal throw (and when I tried to remove it, I broke it, plastic POS).

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for a clutch stop that will work on my wife's 2013?

Does anyone have experience driving both years? Can you confirm that we are not crazy and that the clutches are different?

TIA!

Old 01-09-2015, 01:43 PM
1guru2
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by igzekyativ
I own a 2012 MINI JCW. My wife has a 2013 MINI JCW. They have a VERY different clutch feeling.

I'd describe it like this:

2012: Resistance (push back) all the way through the pedal travel to the floor (100% of the throw).

2013: Resistance (push back) 75% of the pedal throw (towards the floor). After that, the pedal becomes "lighter", like it's assisted, for the last 25% of the pedal travel to the floor.

We both hate how her clutch feels/drives. She wishes she could get hers to feel more like mine. It's very hard to get a good feel on her clutch because right when the clutch is about to engage, the clutch become heavy (when you are lifting up your foot to engage the clutch, the assistance seems to come off and the pedal becomes "heavy" again) right at the wrong time in the pedal travel.

We've taken it to the dealer to see if there was a problem but they assured us this is how the 2013's drive. They even brought us a 2013 roadster so we could feel its clutch, and it matched my wife's 2013 clutch feel (lighter/assisted the last 25% of the throw).

I thought a clutch stop might help as the clutch seems to be fully disengaged before the last 25% of the throw. I ordered the $10 BMS clutch stop, but this does not even come close to stopping the pedal throw (and when I tried to remove it, I broke it, plastic POS).

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for a clutch stop that will work on my wife's 2013?

Does anyone have experience driving both years? Can you confirm that we are not crazy and that the clutches are different?

TIA!
Here is what I have experienced. I had a 2012 Clubman S manual for about 4 months before my 2013 JCW Hardtop I had ordered arrived from the UK. The 2012 was very hard to drive in that the clutch seemed to engage all at once at about mid travel. The 2013 JCW is a dream to drive in comparison to the 2012.It has what I would call a wider friction zone as far as travel is concerned compared to the 2012. I do know that the 2013 JCW clutch is a different part # than any other according to my SA. They recommend that clutch for any replacemant clutch in any model according to a service bulletin they showed me.

Edit: I went out and pushed on my 2013 JCW clutch to see what you were describing. What you are feeling in the last 25%, when pushing in the clutch,
is the total release of the clutch as the diaphragm fingers on the pressure plate are totally compressed or flattened out to release the clutch disc. When engaging the clutch the fingers are pushing against the throw out bearing until the clutch is fully engaged, giving you the power assist feeling. As for the 2012 it was beast to drive compared to my 2013 JCW.

Last edited by 1guru2; 01-09-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:42 AM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
anyone else?

Old 01-12-2015, 08:41 AM
nekky
2nd Gear
I personally *love* the clutch on my 2012 N14 JCW. Pressure and travel are both perfect, and no annoying clicking / spongy sounds like a Honda K-series clutch.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMS clutch stop for the win. Takes second to install and is easily removed. Highly recommended. I'm running it on my 13' fJCW and the clutch feels fantastic.

http://burgertuning.com/clutch_stop_mini_cooper.html

Old 01-20-2015, 02:48 PM
yeslikethewhiskey
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ovrclck
BMS clutch stop for the win. Takes second to install and is easily removed. Highly recommended. I'm running it on my 13' fJCW and the clutch feels fantastic.

Do you have any pictures or anything showing the difference? I'm interested in this as well. Also, how noticeable is the change?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:50 PM
igzekyativ
5th Gear

I tried the BMS and it did not make a difference on the clutch throw. Maybe I put it in the wrong spot? Can you take some pictures of where you have it installed? Plus the POS plastic broke when I tried to remove it.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yeslikethewhiskey
Do you have any pictures or anything showing the difference? I'm interested in this as well. Also, how noticeable is the change?
Immediate. I no longer have to push all the way down. Helps for faster shifting.
I tried the BMS and it did not make a difference on the clutch throw. Maybe I put it in the wrong spot? Can you take some pictures of where you have it installed? Plus the POS plastic broke when I tried to remove it.

How many rubber washers are you using? I find two is the sweet spot.
It only goes in one way. On my previous 2010 MCS, I actually had to snip half of the rubber post for the stop to fit in all the way. On my '13, the post did not need any modifications.
I can take some pictures tonight after work.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:35 AM
yeslikethewhiskey
1st Gear
Immediate. I no longer have to push all the way down. Helps for faster shifting.
Finally got mine in the mail. Definitely worth $10. Took 30 seconds to install.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 AM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
Can I get some pictures of it installed?! On a 2013 would be prefered. When I installed it, it was nowhere near shortening the throw..

Old 01-30-2015, 12:35 PM
yeslikethewhiskey
1st Gear
Can I get some pictures of it installed?! On a 2013 would be prefered. When I installed it, it was nowhere near shortening the throw..
I will try to get some pics later. Although mine is a 2010. Should be the same I'd imagine.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
BMS clutch stop installed in a 2013 fJCW R58. 2 rubber washers installed. Removed 1

Makes for a very pleasant clutch pedal throw feel.

Clutch differences and Clutch Stop Options-image-1664322854.jpg

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 02-05-2015, 12:12 PM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
I am still convinced that I put the BMS stop in the right place on my wifes 2013 fJCW R56 and the clutch pedal never hit it.

Anyone else have photos?!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
I am still convinced that I put the BMS stop in the right place on my wifes 2013 fJCW R56 and the clutch pedal never hit it.

Anyone else have photos?!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:34 PM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
thanks, i'll have to take a look tonight

Old 02-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
No problem.

Sent from my SM-N900T using NAMotoring

Old 02-05-2015, 10:32 PM
1guru2
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Been driving manuals since 1955, and I must say that the clutch in my 2013 JCW Hardtop is the best and most drive-able I've ever owned. Maybe I just drive different than most folks. I never take my left heel off the floor when operating the clutch pedal, I just rock my foot back and forth as required. It's just so much easier to me to find the "sweet spot", and it's repeatable every time. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:38 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1guru2
Been driving manuals since 1955, and I must say that the clutch in my 2013 JCW Hardtop is the best and most drive-able I've ever owned. Maybe I just drive different than most folks. I never take my left heel off the floor when operating the clutch pedal, I just rock my foot back and forth as required. It's just so much easier to me to find the "sweet spot", and it's repeatable every time. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth!
That's how my grandfather taught me to do it 35 years ago. And been doing it that way since. Also have a 2013 MCS.