JCW New JCW Garage for the Gen 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by R99
The JCW seats will not be cloth as standard.

The stock option are the seats pictured above. These are alcantara centres with the red accents. Red will be the only colour choice for the accent.

The only way to ditch the red accents will be to take the full leather option. This will give you leather centres and replace the red accents with a darker coloured alcantara.
Trolling around, I found that the Alcantara with cloth will be standard, while the leather added to the bolstering area will be an option. BUT, they will both look the same, according to MINI in the interview that Gabe gave on tape, in Detroit. I can't see a $2k option price, as there's not that much leather. When the time comes, we'll just have to evaluate if the leather option will be worth it.

I'm more interested in what the 3-gauge option will be?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:14 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by hemisedan
I'm more interested in what the 3-gauge option will be?
Somewhere it said oil pressure (or temp), boost, and a timer. What are we doing here, boiling eggs or what? I'd pass on that and consider the HUD. I kinda wanted that.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Somewhere it said oil pressure (or temp), boost, and a timer. What are we doing here, boiling eggs or what? I'd pass on that and consider the HUD. I kinda wanted that.
Well we know the HUD on a JCW F56 will have rev lights and a gear indicator...wouldn't it be cool if it was possible to have oil pressure, boost, and the timer to be optionally displayed as well with the HUD?

Old 02-05-2015, 01:39 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
I, personally think the MINI HUD looks very cheap. If it was on the windshield, that'd be cool, but they put a plastic pop-up and call it HUD.
I agree, to some extent on the timer, but remember MINI's roots in Rallying. A timer/stop watch is essential for timing distances. Usually by a passenger. I do like the oil pressure and boost gauge though. Maybe trade the timer for a temperature gauge?

Old 02-05-2015, 06:23 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mkortering5
Where did you find it on the .de site? The JCW config isn't an option under the main navigation!

Chomping at the bit for this thing!
What is your secret R99?!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Flboy10
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
What is your secret R99?!
Go to the Config and click on Cooper 3 door. Then you gotta toggle to Automatic and the John Cooper Works shows up. I guess you can only build it in Automatic right now.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:48 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Flboy10
Go to the Config and click on Cooper 3 door. Then you gotta toggle to Automatic and the John Cooper Works shows up. I guess you can only build it in Automatic right now.
a-HA! Thanks, Flboy10

Definitely seems like it's not "all there" yet...some elements are missing like swatches for the body color. You can click on them and the car will change, but no swatch, if that makes sense...

Last edited by siriuszero; 02-05-2015 at 06:58 PM. Reason: thanks to fyboy10!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
This actually gives a clear view on what the Dinamica/cloth standard seats will look like, compared to the Dinamica/leather upgraded seats:

Attached Thumbnails New JCW Garage for the Gen 3-dinamica.jpg   New JCW Garage for the Gen 3-dinamicaleather.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by siriuszero
This actually gives a clear view on what the Dinamica/cloth standard seats will look like, compared to the Dinamica/leather upgraded seats:
The cloth are pretty sweet if included in the $30.4k price. They look similar to my Recaros which were a $2900 upgrade over the standard sport seats (I don't even know if you got leather standard on the 2014 JCW). Considering you get those and LED lights and better wheels standard, as well as the body, brakes, guages, and turbo this car looks like a bargain to me. I think anthracite headliner comes with it too.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:32 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
From what I heard, the cloth and Alcantara seats have red bolsters just like the leather JCW seats. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what was told on the Detroit Auto Show interview. Those cloth seats that you super here are cloth optional F56 seats that I've seen on the configuration sight.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:45 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Oops, I retract my statement after looking more closely at these seats. They do look like the MINI S optional at no cost seats. But these have the built in headrest with the JCW logo. So stand correct. Actually, I rsther like these better, especially if one goes with the Rebel agreen or one of the Blues. Not bad at all.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:06 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Flboy10
Go to the Config and click on Cooper 3 door. Txxxby._.Top..govヨ xxx Assert.hen you gotta toggle to Automatic ansfx rFUN Zzz fifth b Ttc k thaTVol gd the John Cooper Works shows up. I guess you can only build it in Automatic right now.
That's exactly it....good color selection...

Old 02-06-2015, 04:22 PM
mkortering5
2nd Gear
FYI, you may want to call your dealers. Mine just let me know he has the "tentative JCW order sheet" in hand. Stopping by tomorrow to spec it out...

Pepper white/red roof
black track spokes
pano roof
cold pack
roof rails
visual boost

I'll post any info I find out about the seats...

Old 02-06-2015, 04:27 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Oops, I retract my statement after looking more closely at these seats. They do look like the MINI S optional at no cost seats. But these have the built in headrest with the JCW logo. So stand correct. Actually, I rsther like these better, especially if one goes with the Rebel agreen or one of the Blues. Not bad at all.
Right, the standard Dinamica/cloth seats are the same shape as the Dinamica/leather seats seen at NAIAS, just different finishes. Both have Dinamica, a kind of alcantara type material, but the trim and seat back is either cloth or leather.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:55 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Pricing

Just saw the MotoringFile piece on the factory JCW and pricing. If I remember correctly from Gabe's interview with some MINI exec, that the new Rebel Green was to be a non metallic color. So, assuming the way I do I thought that this would be a free, no cost color. NO IT IS NOT. Rebel Green optional cost
$1,000. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I agree with most of the other options, as with MINI you can option it the way you want, not like VW which offer hardly any options. Even with their new to the us R series, only in 5-door and automatic. Europe gets the manual and 3-door.

What's also going to give VW R and Golf fits is the announcement of the Ford Focus RS with all wheel drive that has been updated to handle the 320+ hp that it will generate, and with a manual shifter, no automatics yet. Guess Ford in this case, does have a better idea.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:04 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Just saw the MotoringFile piece on the factory JCW and pricing. If I remember correctly from Gabe's interview with some MINI exec, that the new Rebel Green was to be a non metallic color. So, assuming the way I do I thought that this would be a free, no cost color. NO IT IS NOT. Rebel Green optional cost
$1,000. Doesn't make any sense to me.
I think it's more because it's a limited color - only available on JCW Hardtops. Lapisluxury Blue is another example of a limited color demanding a higher price.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:27 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkortering5
FYI, you may want to call your dealers. Mine just let me know he has the "tentative JCW order sheet" in hand. Stopping by tomorrow to spec it out...
FWIW, my dealer just called me to ask if I might be interested in May'15 JCW allocation slot....

a

Old 03-14-2015, 05:32 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I, personally think the MINI HUD looks very cheap. If it was on the windshield, that'd be cool, but they put a plastic pop-up and call it HUD.
Very sad, very true.

BMW windshield HUD is absolutely awesome, but significantly more expensive and furthermore requires custom pricey windshields.
Plastic pop-up is ... sad.

I agree, to some extent on the timer, but remember MINI's roots in Rallying. A timer/stop watch is essential for timing distances. Usually by a passenger. I do like the oil pressure and boost gauge though. Maybe trade the timer for a temperature gauge?
Timer is fluff.
Oil temp, oil pressure, and boost is all you need, and I could live with just 2 out of 3.

a

Old 03-14-2015, 05:53 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by afadeev
Very sad, very true.

BMW windshield HUD is absolutely awesome, but significantly more expensive and furthermore requires custom pricey windshields.
Plastic pop-up is ... sad.

Timer is fluff.
Oil temp, oil pressure, and boost is all you need, and I could live with just 2 out of 3.

a
In person they are really cheap plastic gauges. If you don't like the hud......
Better to install your own. Imo

Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Lazygreek
Neutral
So, I ordered a Jcw on Friday 13th,

White silver/red roof - manual
No stripes (will get custom strips to mimick the concept car)
18 wheels
Premium
Wired
Rally lights
Dampening suspension
Cornering lights
Leather/dinamica seat with red glowing dash trim

I'm supposed to hear from the dealer soon about eta on the manual.

Question is, I haven't done much research yet. Has there been tuning upgrades for Jcw cars in the past for a little more hp?

Old 03-16-2015, 01:27 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Lazygreek
So, I ordered a Jcw on Friday 13th,

White silver/red roof - manual
No stripes (will get custom strips to mimick the concept car)
18 wheels
Premium
Wired
Rally lights
Dampening suspension
Cornering lights
Leather/dinamica seat with red glowing dash trim

I'm supposed to hear from the dealer soon about eta on the manual.

Question is, I haven't done much research yet. Has there been tuning upgrades for Jcw cars in the past for a little more hp?
That sounds like a great looking car. I saw a WS/Red Coupe in Tempe and almost bought it last year. The Burger Tune clip on tuner thing does work for the JCW, somebody said they had one. It only costs $400. Here's predicting you'll be very surprised how fast this car is when you get it. Mine's listed as 208HP and supposedly dynos at 230. Yours is listed at 230HP, who knows what it dynos at?

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 03-16-2015 at 01:34 PM.