JCW Anyone with an aftermarket exhaust for their JCW?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 05:01 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone with an aftermarket exhaust for their JCW?

Hi folks,

someone posted a thread last year about this and the only options I knew of at the time was a VIP unit, which the company told me has the same sound signature as stock, or have it done custom.

Does anyone know of another aftermarket that will fit with the rear valence/exhaust tips on the JCW? I just can't stand this dead quiet exhaust anymore on our R60 JCW....

thanks!

Jeff

Old 06-20-2014, 05:39 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed about our quiet JCW exhaust note - I'm thinking about the Milltek.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 AM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Is there a resonator that could be removed?

Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dozuki01
Agreed about our quiet JCW exhaust note - I'm thinking about the Milltek.
OH! do they make one that will mate up to the rear valence/exhaust tips on the JCW? I didn't know that...

Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM
Mini-LSE
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot
Hi folks,

someone posted a thread last year about this and the only options I knew of at the time was a VIP unit, which the company told me has the same sound signature as stock, or have it done custom.

Does anyone know of another aftermarket that will fit with the rear valence/exhaust tips on the JCW? I just can't stand this dead quiet exhaust anymore on our R60 JCW....

thanks!

Jeff
I am looking for the same thing. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there any exhaust tips that will fit thu the rear bumper kit on the JCW?

Old 08-09-2014, 07:55 PM
StuRat
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Here is a clip of my nm Engineering prototype exhaust for the JCW Countryman. It sounds great. The way it should have sounded from MINI. I can definitely feel a throttle increase and a bump in mileage... a must mod for sure. Keeps the stock tips on the bumper so everything looks OEM...

Old 08-10-2014, 04:41 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by StuRat
Here is a clip of my nm Engineering prototype exhaust for the JCW Countryman. It sounds great. The way it should have sounded from MINI. I can definitely feel a throttle increase and a bump in mileage... a must mod for sure. Keeps the stock tips on the bumper so everything looks OEM...
http://youtu.be/NNOAS0RDCrQ
I do like it very much. since it is a prototype, do you have any idea when it will be available for sale?

thanks.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:27 PM
JCWCM
2nd Gear
I remember posting about it last year, and got active trying to solve for it.

First I had Quicksilver in the UK make one - it was the first off the the line and needed some adjustment when it arrived because the pipes extended through and beyond the OEM tips in the bumper, so needed trimming. It was around $1600, but my wife made me take it off after 2 days because it droned too much. But it did make it pop a little when I lifted the throttle at low revs.

I went back to standard, but got itchy feet pretty quickly, so finally got 'permission' to try again. I have a full SuperSprint system on my M3 with no drone and it's spectacular, so had high hopes their CM JCW system would be the same. This time I went all out - hi-flow cat made to order, a straight through connecting pipe that deleted the second cat, and a back box. I also got a Defenders of Speed CAI (before Clint closed it), and a Berger JB+ tune.

All in, it's spectacular. It's significantly more punchy EVERYWHERE, has a really ripe, rich exhaust tone that grows, get's pretty angry over 4k revs, and pops like the Quicksilver did. But it's not too loud, and there's no drone so it keeps everyone happy. And it looks entirely stock.

The exhaust was pricy though - around $4k all in - the hi-flow cat alone was about $2k. I know, everyone will say 'that's not worth it', but I disagree, this system was the difference between me keeping the car, or selling it - I was pissed about about it sounding like a Corolla.....so now it doesn't.

Windows down, every day. And yes, I know I need to make a clip.

FWIW, I got the SS from Phillip at BMP Design, and he is a legend. Highly recommended.

Hi folks,

thanks!

Jeff

Old 08-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
thanks for the update...... You are not going to hear me say "it's not worth it". Everybody has their "thing" that they are willing to drop a lot of coin on (my problem is I have too many "things"!). If it sounds spectacular and you get more punch and most importantly a completely new and enjoyable experience out of the car, then it's worth it, IMO.

I am concerned that this will remain a "cottage" industry. There are just too few JCW R60's out there for multiple vendors to spend the R/D to get systems mass produced and affordable.

As I mentioned before, VIP out of Phoenix has one for $1300, but they tell me it has the same sound signature as stock JCW, so that's not really an option for me.

Such a bummer too. My wife is insanely jealous of the great sound my R56 JCW makes (on the stock exhaust and now even better with the Alta). It just defies understanding why they did this to a JCW model....

Old 08-11-2014, 06:44 PM
StuRat
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I do like it very much. since it is a prototype, do you have any idea when it will be available for sale?

thanks.
It should be coming out real soon. I did an as-built for them since the JCW is slightly different from the S. Even the hangers are spaced differently and I told them where to cut the pipes to match the OEM tips on the bumper... Call nm and ask for Jerry and he can fix you up. Tell him you heard mine....

Old 08-12-2014, 08:28 AM
JCWCM
2nd Gear
Here's the SuperSprint option if you want an alternative. Definitely not 'cottage industry'!

http://www.supersprint.com/en/IT/pro...093E280BA.aspx

I got my pieces through Phillip at BMP Design in Texas. The back-box alone was a little over $1200, and you can see in the pics is really nicely made.

thanks for the update...... You are not going to hear me say "it's not worth it". Everybody has their "thing" that they are willing to drop a lot of coin on (my problem is I have too many "things"!). If it sounds spectacular and you get more punch and most importantly a completely new and enjoyable experience out of the car, then it's worth it, IMO.

I am concerned that this will remain a "cottage" industry. There are just too few JCW R60's out there for multiple vendors to spend the R/D to get systems mass produced and affordable.

As I mentioned before, VIP out of Phoenix has one for $1300, but they tell me it has the same sound signature as stock JCW, so that's not really an option for me.

Such a bummer too. My wife is insanely jealous of the great sound my R56 JCW makes (on the stock exhaust and now even better with the Alta). It just defies understanding why they did this to a JCW model....

Old 06-21-2015, 03:45 AM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone tried the VIP exhaust for JCW? $1,249
http://www.vipcustomparts.com/JCW%20...an%20parts.htm

If so, any concerns with the statement: "(DP series) For off road use only or competition. Not emissions, DOT, CARB, or EPA certified. Not intended or applicable for use on public streets or highways."

"(DP series) This is our Mandrel bent performance exhaust for the JCW Countryman/Paceman. Made from 2.5 inch 304 stainless steel exhaust tube. This works with your JCW tips and rear valance. The exhaust note is a deep tone. This is one of the finest exhaust systems that you can purchase. Don't settle for half an exhaust system for your JCW Car, Go with our full flex joint back system. 100% stainless steel. Simple installation. Our system is around 11 foot long and is shipped to you in three sections. Our system is from the turbo's down pipe back, removing the second cat. The system does not remove or effect the oxygen sensors in anyway, just offers you the most performance out of your JCW Car. Requires cutting the O.E.M. exhaust system after the front flex joint (slip-on)"

Old 06-21-2015, 04:06 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TJANK
Has anyone tried the VIP exhaust for JCW? $1,249
http://www.vipcustomparts.com/JCW%20...an%20parts.htm

If so, any concerns with the statement: "(DP series) For off road use only or competition. Not emissions, DOT, CARB, or EPA certified. Not intended or applicable for use on public streets or highways."

"(DP series) This is our Mandrel bent performance exhaust for the JCW Countryman/Paceman. Made from 2.5 inch 304 stainless steel exhaust tube. This works with your JCW tips and rear valance. The exhaust note is a deep tone. This is one of the finest exhaust systems that you can purchase. Don't settle for half an exhaust system for your JCW Car, Go with our full flex joint back system. 100% stainless steel. Simple installation. Our system is around 11 foot long and is shipped to you in three sections. Our system is from the turbo's down pipe back, removing the second cat. The system does not remove or effect the oxygen sensors in anyway, just offers you the most performance out of your JCW Car. Requires cutting the O.E.M. exhaust system after the front flex joint (slip-on)"
Hi TJ,

that wording is applied to (I think) ALL aftermarket exhaust systems, even on motorcycles. I think it's boilerplate language so the vendors don't get in trouble with the EPA since virtually all of these systems would not pass emissions testing. I know of a number of people who live in states with mandatory emissions testing yearly, and they have to swap out their exhaust and put the OEM back on to pass the test, then put the aftermarket back on.

I talked to the folks at VIP about this exhaust and they told me it has the same tone and volume level as the JCW OEM....does add a few RWHP due to backpressure differences, according to them. I figured....what's the point, if it sounds the same as stock......that's a lot of money for the same sound signature, for me anyway.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:23 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Not a jcw, but same chassis/awd system and... faster.

My custom exhaust system.

Paid about $600 for the system.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Markbett
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fed up

So I have a '13 sPaceman JCW with the JB+. The whole "sport mode has me completely disappointed. Seems to me, that it does nothing with the exhaust note, and only a little steering stiffness, but that's about it. So I started looking into exhaust modifications and (no offense to anyone here but) there really is very few stepping up the plate and offering solid reasonable solutions, pictures, materials, processes etc..Before's/ after's??? Additionally, since the Mini is fairly low on the priority list for many aftermarket manufacturers, finding solutions online is equally frustrating.
My JCW is equipped with a resonator, it sits between the catalytic convertor and the muffler, (real close to the Cat). I don't know if all Mini's have a resonator but I'm betting they do. The purpose of the resonator is to reduce or "tone" the exhaust. There is a benefit of noise reduction in the cabin and back-pressure, but the main purpose is to "tune" the exhaust note. So starting with the least expensive item, I'm going to remove my resonator and replace it with straight pipe. I'm aiming for a slight increase in HP and a slightly louder tone out the back. My thinking is, I added the JB+ tuner which means more air flow in, needs more air flow out. I'll do before and afters and document the whole thing. Worse come to worse, I'll put the resonator back in. But I doubt I'll need to. If the "tone" is not what I'm looking for, I'll add the Borla Exhaust S-Type part # 11804. $650.00 and I'll drop it in myself.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:59 PM
kanakaboy92
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Markbett
So I have a '13 sPaceman JCW with the JB+. The whole "sport mode has me completely disappointed. Seems to me, that it does nothing with the exhaust note, and only a little steering stiffness, but that's about it. So I started looking into exhaust modifications and (no offense to anyone here but) there really is very few stepping up the plate and offering solid reasonable solutions, pictures, materials, processes etc..Before's/ after's??? Additionally, since the Mini is fairly low on the priority list for many aftermarket manufacturers, finding solutions online is equally frustrating.
My JCW is equipped with a resonator, it sits between the catalytic convertor and the muffler, (real close to the Cat). I don't know if all Mini's have a resonator but I'm betting they do. The purpose of the resonator is to reduce or "tone" the exhaust. There is a benefit of noise reduction in the cabin and back-pressure, but the main purpose is to "tune" the exhaust note. So starting with the least expensive item, I'm going to remove my resonator and replace it with straight pipe. I'm aiming for a slight increase in HP and a slightly louder tone out the back. My thinking is, I added the JB+ tuner which means more air flow in, needs more air flow out. I'll do before and afters and document the whole thing. Worse come to worse, I'll put the resonator back in. But I doubt I'll need to. If the "tone" is not what I'm looking for, I'll add the Borla Exhaust S-Type part # 11804. $650.00 and I'll drop it in myself.
Any follow up to this? Have you removed the resonator? I did this on my R56 fJCW, and really liked it. I haven't decided if i want to do it on the R60 though. Interested in hearing how the JB+ and res delete work together.

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:51 AM
Markbett
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not yet. Traveling a lot for work, should get to it, next month when everything gets back to normal. (whatever that is)

Old 08-25-2015, 09:58 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Anyone with an aftermarket exhaust for their JCW?

i have had my milltek dp back system for 3.5 years

very happy with it

100% bolt on using stock mountings

good sound and adds power especially in the lower rev range

Old 09-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Levers_and_Gears
Neutral
Installed a Megan Racing titanium roll tip setup about three weeks ago. Definitely not a bolt-on installation and will require some serious modifications to the splitter support brackets to get it to work. However, it sounds awesome getting wound out in tunnels.