JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW New shoes - Michelin Pilot Super Sports...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Formel1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New shoes - Michelin Pilot Super Sports...

went to 215/45/17, and I must say, I've strayed away from Michelin in recent years, and the tread design is less than spectacular, but these things are great for the money. What a difference in ride and cornering (of course, I'm coming from the run flat bricks that slide all over the place). Can't wait til it rains and see how they do in the wet. If anyone is on the fence, my vote is for the SuperSports..

Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Got those exact tires sitting in my garage waiting for my car....glad to hear you like them so much. Can't wait to try them out.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I had them on my A4 Avant. GREAT tire.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Formel1
went to 215/45/17, and I must say, I've strayed away from Michelin in recent years, and the tread design is less than spectacular, but these things are great for the money. What a difference in ride and cornering (of course, I'm coming from the run flat bricks that slide all over the place). Can't wait til it rains and see how they do in the wet. If anyone is on the fence, my vote is for the SuperSports..
I love my Dunlop run flats. Are the michelins really that much better?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:18 PM
OKCdancer
3rd Gear
I went from the Dunlop RF to the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus, All-Season tires, and YES, THEY ARE REALLY THAT MUCH BETTER! I changed them out after only 1900 miles and glad I did!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrjm
I love my Dunlop run flats. Are the michelins really that much better?

Sorry, there is absolutely nothing to like about the Dunlop run flats (or any of the other OEM RF's that come on MINI's) compared to a set of dedicated conventional summer performance tires. Runflats do what they do by having very stiff sidewalls. Sometimes people mistake that for a firm handling aid, but they are really just HARSH compared to non-RF's, and their tread compounds are much harder in general than other stuff out there. Performance tires should have some compliance dialed in, ultra-stiff suspension and tires as good handling parameters went the way of the dodo years ago.
If you ever get a chance to drive someone's MINI with a good set of non-RF's (I'm running Hankook Ventus V12's on mine) you will quickly see that they grip better, ride smoother, and provide better feedback.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Formel1
2nd Gear
Like we say in the racing world...it's all about sticky tires and downforce...

Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Sorry, there is absolutely nothing to like about the Dunlop run flats (or any of the other OEM RF's that come on MINI's) compared to a set of dedicated conventional summer performance tires. Runflats do what they do by having very stiff sidewalls. Sometimes people mistake that for a firm handling aid, but they are really just HARSH compared to non-RF's, and their tread compounds are much harder in general than other stuff out there. Performance tires should have some compliance dialed in, ultra-stiff suspension and tires as good handling parameters went the way of the dodo years ago.
If you ever get a chance to drive someone's MINI with a good set of non-RF's (I'm running Hankook Ventus V12's on mine) you will quickly see that they grip better, ride smoother, and provide better feedback.
Ok. I think I might try the RE 11's

Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
How much did you pay if you don't mind disclosing? I have my eye on the exact same tire, same size.

And +1 on the Dunlop run flats being lousy. It took my wife about 3 weeks to destroy 2 (in 2 separate incidents) on pot holes. The dealer had to replace 2 of them before they sold us the car!!! And when you can buy 4 for nearly the price of 1 in a non runflat it's a no brainer. My bike pump and plug kit will work just as well on a non runflat as it will on a run flat.

Last edited by smoke05S; 12-11-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
$172 from TireRack plus a $70 rebate card

Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Formel1
2nd Gear
I got mine for about $720 out the door for the set, including the $70 rebate card ($800 out the door)

Old 12-13-2011, 04:59 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
I got mine for about $720 out the door for the set, including the $70 rebate card ($800 out the door)
Is that for RE11's 215/45/17 with a W or higher
Speed rating?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 AM
Formel1
2nd Gear
This was for Michelin Pilot Super Sports...Y rating... :D Of course, my Mini will never reach W rated speeds....

Old 12-14-2011, 06:07 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Does anyone have additional feedback on the Michilen Pilot Super Sport 215/45/17 on an R56?

Any tramlining or wandering feel? Any loss of steering response from the taller/softer sidewall? I'm sure they are much quieter and smoother, and provide outstanding grip in rain, but don't want to compromise on performance.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Formel1
2nd Gear
Coming from run flats...no issues on loosing any performance. Those RF's are dead bricks, especially after 10K miles, the compound changes and they are slick bricks in corners. The Super Sports are sticky and corner great. Are they shaved DE/AX tires (R1R's or 888's)? No, but give great performance for DD and weekend warrior fun...tread design is less than spectacular, but work well (kind of remind me of the old Michelin F1 tires). Haven't noticed any drop in sensitivity in steering etc., except my kidneys don't get punched when I go over a bridge expansion joint anymore...LOL

Old 12-14-2011, 05:00 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Coming from run flats...no issues on loosing any performance. Those RF's are dead bricks, especially after 10K miles, the compound changes and they are slick bricks in corners. The Super Sports are sticky and corner great. Are they shaved DE/AX tires (R1R's or 888's)? No, but give great performance for DD and weekend warrior fun...tread design is less than spectacular, but work well (kind of remind me of the old Michelin F1 tires). Haven't noticed any drop in sensitivity in steering etc., except my kidneys don't get punched when I go over a bridge expansion joint anymore...LOL
My "summer only" run flats are worn past the wear indicators and stick like glue. I love them. I REALLY hope when I go to the non-run flats I'm not disappointed. I have my eyes on the Potenza RE11's.

Ray

Old 12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
This was for Michelin Pilot Super Sports...Y rating... :D Of course, my Mini will never reach W rated speeds....
I'm sure you meant "H" rating because "Y" rating is for a higher speed (186 vs 168) then W. My car came with W's so that is what I should put back on. I have no intention of ever trying to drive it that fast.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 PM
rxya11
Neutral
anyone with Michelin Pilot tires notice decrease MPG compare to stock run flats? I recently got rid of my run flats and average MPG dropped from 30 to 26 with same driving habits. is that normal???

Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Well do you live in a colder climate? It's normal for MPG's to drop when the weather is colder. Also your speedo/odo will read differently this will affect how you calculate MPG's. I just got my RE11's. I haven't mounted them up to the car because of snow and freezing temps. I'll let everyone know my results when I do.

Ray

Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 PM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JackMac
Does anyone have additional feedback on the Michilen Pilot Super Sport 215/45/17 on an R56?

Any tramlining or wandering feel? Any loss of steering response from the taller/softer sidewall? I'm sure they are much quieter and smoother, and provide outstanding grip in rain, but don't want to compromise on performance.
Had this exact tire installed ~800 miles.
They are replacements for Continental DW that were on the treadbars at 18K miles.
So far, the Michelins seen to tramline less than did the Continentals.
I have nothing bad to say about the Contis.
I can’t put a finger on it, but there was ‘something’ about them that led me to go with the Michelins this time.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:29 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mrrjm
Well do you live in a colder climate? It's normal for MPG's to drop when the weather is colder.
True.

Also your speedo/odo will read differently this will affect how you calculate MPG's.
Not true.

Even if you don't add air as the temp drops (you should be adding or removing air for ever 10 degree change in temp.) there won't be enough of a change to the overall diameter to make a 4 MPG difference.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 AM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by quality_sound
True.

Not true.

Even if you don't add air as the temp drops (you should be adding or removing air for ever 10 degree change in temp.) there won't be enough of a change to the overall diameter to make a 4 MPG difference.
Yes that is correct. However the 215/45/17 tire has a different overall diameter then the 205/45/17 which will change the way the speed/odo reads. If he is checking his mpg on just one tank of gas that isn't scientific enough to say he dropped 4 mpg. I would like to know a lot more data like how many tank fulls, do you top off the tank or nickel & dime it, weather conditions, do you warm the car up, do you go to the same station same pump, does anyone else drive the car, etc.. Or is this from the display avg mls per gallon.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Ahhhh, yes. Your post didn't read like that. I use an iPhone App (Road Trip) that tracks ALL of that for me. Makes it very easy to see real-time changes. I moved from the free version to the paid version to get more info tracked and more cars being able to be tracked. It's really sweet.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
maxg765
Neutral
I'll buy your used run flats

Hello

SInce many here are "upgrading" if you kept your used Dunlop SP Sport 1 DSST run flats plus if they are in good condition with at least 50% tread left I would consider buying them. The newer the better. I'm looking for at least 2 but would buy 4 if the price and condition is right.
Have a 2009 JCW in case anyone is wondering.

I'm considering changing to non run flats but will go the use route if I can find a good pair for less then 4 new alternates.

I'm in South Florida and would consider pick up or shipping.

You can PM or email me
maxg765 at gmail dot com

Thanks

Max

Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
Why go with the 215's if they are available in 205?

Quick Reply: JCW New shoes - Michelin Pilot Super Sports...