JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW MCS vs JCW

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 PM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MCS vs JCW

I just recently got an 07 MCS and would love to bring it current to the JCW claimed 208BHP. How hard would it be?

I've read somewhere that the power difference is due to turbo, cam, and software? Is that true? I was thinking about just a tune and maybe a bigger turbo, but I really do not want any more extra lag.

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
My understanding is there's a bit more to it than that, as the 6-speed transmission and exhaust system are also different between the Cooper S and the factory JCW.

Personally, I don't know how much all the necessary parts would run to do a "user-upgrade" from Cooper S to factory-JCW-equivalent; it may be cost-prohibitive...? I can tell you this much, though: there's no additional lag with the factory JCW turbo!

One of the dealer-installed JCW engine upgrades won't get you 208 Hp by itself, but a tune in conjunction with that might get you in the ballpark...? You'd have to investigate further.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
There's alot of information in this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-thread.html

Dave

Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I would think an intercooler, catless downpipe with exhaust, a good cold air intake, and an ALTA Accessport tune should get you really close to factory JCW specs. Probably about $2500 or so worth of mods.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All you really need to match stock JCW output would be a JCW exhaust and an RMW tune. Cost is about $1200. This is the route I went, but it's not quite as fun to drive as a stock JCW. Then again, the JCW wasn't even announced yet when I ordered my car.

To get it higher than a stock JCW would require a lot more. You'd need a downpipe and intercooler.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:42 PM
ej827
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by reRESERVEDMD
I just recently got an 07 MCS and would love to bring it current to the JCW claimed 208BHP. How hard would it be?

I've read somewhere that the power difference is due to turbo, cam, and software? Is that true? I was thinking about just a tune and maybe a bigger turbo, but I really do not want any more extra lag.

Thanks!
The JCW has more than 208 HP. It's under rated from the factory. People on this forum have dynod their JCW and have 200 to 205 at the wheels. That means its more than 208 HP to the crank.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
JCW is a completely different beast.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chris G
JCW is a completely different beast.
How so?

Dave

Old 11-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Different engine internals, different turbo, different tranny, and now the newer ones have a different interior trim options I believe. Sure, you could build your Cooper S to be similar to a JCW but you risk running into warranty issues, etc.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:50 PM
vettestripes
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Different engine internals, different turbo, different tranny, and now the newer ones have a different interior trim options I believe. Sure, you could build your Cooper S to be similar to a JCW but you risk running into warranty issues, etc.
Really? JCW has forged block? I did not know anything about that?

Old 11-14-2010, 07:03 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I did a little research, the differences in the engine are that JCW has forged pistons and a bigger turbocharger. All the other engine internals are the same as the S

Dave

Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Don't get me wrong guys, I love my regular S. But, the JCW is badass. I priced out a 2011 Cooper S how I wanted it and it was $28k. I priced out a 2011 JCW and it was $31k - I barely had to add any options because the JCW was standard with them. I'm just saying that if someone is seriously considering the JCW over the regular S, the difference in price would definitely justify the JCW.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 AM
phinzup
3rd Gear
This is the exact reasoning I had for my purchase this weekend. I had driven an S and drove the JCW. I could not justify going "down" (yes, that's relative, and not quite accurate.The S is an awesome car) to an S after driving the JCW. Top it off (ha, I'm funny) with the unique-to-the-JCW red roof and mirrors, and I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the S. I'm waiting on my '11 PW/Red JCW to arrive. The truck picks it up on Monday morning in Raleigh, NC, and it will be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm dying here. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by phinzup
This is the exact reasoning I had for my purchase this weekend. I had driven an S and drove the JCW. I could not justify going "down" (yes, that's relative, and not quite accurate.The S is an awesome car) to an S after driving the JCW. Top it off (ha, I'm funny) with the unique-to-the-JCW red roof and mirrors, and I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the S. I'm waiting on my '11 PW/Red JCW to arrive. The truck picks it up on Monday morning in Raleigh, NC, and it will be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm dying here. I can't wait for it to arrive.
Please post some pictures - I've been wanting to see a PW with a red roof/caps.

What made you decide JCW over the S?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 AM
phinzup
3rd Gear
What made you decide JCW over the S?
Power, sound, the wheels, the dark gauges, the Championship leather... After I drove the JCW I couldn't look back. My words in a text to my wife after I drove it were, "The JCW is evil incarnate." It made my blood run faster. I originally was getting the Eclipse Gray/Red, but the Raleigh dealership was being recalcitrant, saying they were working a deal on it, but they had PW. I looked at the pictures and said, "That looks like a race car. I'll take it."

Here are pictures of the car at its current home in Raleigh. I'll take better pictures of the car once it's in my stable.

Attached Thumbnails MCS vs JCW-2103672829.jpg   MCS vs JCW-2103673041.jpg   MCS vs JCW-2103673073.jpg  
Old 11-14-2010, 10:32 AM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
phinzup, interesting to see the paint on the walls match your car.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Power, sound, the wheels, the dark gauges, the Championship leather... After I drove the JCW I couldn't look back. My words in a text to my wife after I drove it were, "The JCW is evil incarnate." It made my blood run faster. I originally was getting the Eclipse Gray/Red, but the Raleigh dealership was being recalcitrant, saying they were working a deal on it, but they had PW. I looked at the pictures and said, "That looks like a race car. I'll take it."

Here are pictures of the car at its current home in Raleigh. I'll take better pictures of the car once it's in my stable.
Looks awesome. I would like to see more interior shots, especially of those gauges. Makes me want to trade my S in

Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM
phinzup
3rd Gear
This is the best couple of shots of the gauges for now. Again, more when I have it in my hot little hands.

Attached Thumbnails MCS vs JCW-2103672963.jpg   MCS vs JCW-2103673187.jpg  
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 PM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by devicemanager
phinzup, interesting to see the paint on the walls match your car.
LOL. I hadn't really noticed that, but you're right. That's pretty funny.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
This is the best couple of shots of the gauges for now. Again, more when I have it in my hot little hands.
Well done. Looks sooooo awesome. I wish they weren't $30k+

Old 11-14-2010, 02:56 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Very nice

Great color and a "Great car"

Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I'd really like to get an '11 JCW, but I don't think I can deal with the MINI ownership experience again. The dealer is too much of a hassle to get anything fixed and I shudder to think of what the out of warranty expenses are like...

Oh yeah, the JCW I'd want would also be like 35k, way too much I think for what you get. Still a great car...

Old 11-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Bullitt44
"Bullitt"
The forged pistons are a big deal and the my JCW has been nothing but a delight. I had a service loaner S while mine was in for an annual service and it was not even close.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bullitt44
The forged pistons are a big deal
Not necessarily, here a real good write up explaining the differences between cast and forged pistons.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...s-pistons.html

Forged pistons are a bit stronger, but have other disadvantages. It seems that it is a personal choice of the individual engine builders to decide what to use. John Cooper Works decided, for what ever reason, to use forged pistons. But I haven't heard of any hot rodded Cooper S cars that suffered catastrophic piston failure.

Dave

Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt44
The forged pistons are a big deal and the my JCW has been nothing but a delight. I had a service loaner S while mine was in for an annual service and it was not even close.
They're not a "big deal." Cooper S has forged pistons too....same manufacturer (Mahle), same materials, just a different crown design to give the JCW motor lower compression. Everything else internally is shared Cooper S to JCW.

FWIW, I have a JCW turbo on my Cooper S and it is making more power than a tuned JCW. Works flawlessly too....considering the price difference between a JCW and S is about 7k....doing this for ~2k is quite the steal.

Last edited by ThumperMCS; 11-15-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: JCW MCS vs JCW