JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Just bought an '06 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 PM
FlzRider
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought an '06 JCW

Brought home my new-to-me '06 JCW with 10k miles last weekend. I had a few questions...

Everything I have read about the JCW matches up with what I see on the car with the exception of the suspension. The spring color is black all-around, does this mean it does not have the JCW suspension? I have the original window sticker and it has the kit listed as:

Combo #6 John Cooper tuning kit $6300
-JCW Engine kit
-JCW Sport brake kit
- LSD (listed as std. option above)

Are there other variants of the John Cooper tuning kit that would have included the suspension as well?

I haven't checked everything under the hood yet, but I do see the JCW airbox, valve cover sticker, intercooler cover, and strut bar. I'll have to check the head markings and injector color later.

Here is how she currently sits.....I am fixing a few things left over by the previous owner.

Attached Thumbnails Just bought an '06 JCW-mini-check-up.jpg   Just bought an '06 JCW-mini-check-up-1-.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 06:07 AM
sandm4130
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome and congrats.

Personally the best color in my opinion.

I can say with confidence that the JCW kit does not include the suspension for $6300. I have a factory ordered JCW and no suspension was included.

The car should have the sports suspension if it was direct from the factory otherwise it could be stock.

If the exhaust has a continous pipe running from the headers then it would be a factory car otherwise the kit was installed by the dealer.

From your detailed listing of the parts the strut bar is also just an accessory as well.

enjoy

Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 AM
FlzRider
3rd Gear
The fact that the JCW package is on the window sticker would imply that the kit was factory installed as opposed to dealer installed correct?

So are you saying there are indeed multiple variations of the JCW kit?

Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM
sandm4130
1st Gear
The window sticker is what it is.

The kit is offered complete (as a kit) as well as in individual components.

I would check out your local dealers parts website for a listing of the components.

There are no variations to the kit itself just in who and where it was installed.

There should also be a certificate with the kit to prove its authenticity.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
FlzRider
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sandm4130
The window sticker is what it is.

The kit is offered complete (as a kit) as well as in individual components.

I would check out your local dealers parts website for a listing of the components.

There are no variations to the kit itself just in who and where it was installed.

There should also be a certificate with the kit to prove its authenticity.
The previous owner wasn't able to find any certificate, he doesn't remember if he ever got it. Is there a way to get a copy or another one issued?

I do, however, have the original window sticker, which like I said before has the JCW kit on it. This means the kit was installed at the factory, correct? This also means it wasn't pieced together, it was the entire kit, right?

So assuming the above, why does the car not have the JCW suspension?

Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
sarafil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FlzRider
The previous owner wasn't able to find any certificate, he doesn't remember if he ever got it. Is there a way to get a copy or another one issued?

I do, however, have the original window sticker, which like I said before has the JCW kit on it. This means the kit was installed at the factory, correct? This also means it wasn't pieced together, it was the entire kit, right?

So assuming the above, why does the car not have the JCW suspension?
The "JCW Kit" was offered two different ways: as a dealer installed accessory (so you could buy it in pieces) or installed from the factory as a package that included the engine tuning kit, the JCW brakes, and the LSD.

The JCW suspension is a separate option, it was never included as part of the JCW package and was always a separate, dealer-installed accessory.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sarafil
The "JCW Kit" was offered two different ways: as a dealer installed accessory (so you could buy it in pieces) or installed from the factory as a package that included the engine tuning kit, the JCW brakes, and the LSD.

The JCW suspension is a separate option, it was never included as part of the JCW package and was always a separate, dealer-installed accessory.
This correct. I have the factory JCW package and later added the suspension (nice upgrade by the way). Add a 19mm rear bar and it's just about perfect!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the R53 JCW FlzRider did you sell the R50?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:28 PM
FlzRider
3rd Gear

Ahhh, I see. I was under the impression it included the suspension as well.

Originally Posted by davisflyer
This correct. I have the factory JCW package and later added the suspension (nice upgrade by the way). Add a 19mm rear bar and it's just about perfect!
Is the JCW suspension springs, shocks, or both? Do you happen to have a P/N for the kit?

Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Congrats on the R53 JCW FlzRider did you sell the R50?
Nope, the R50 is still part of the family. It wouldn't be worth it to sell it due to the new CVT tranny we installed in it this past summer.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:14 PM
cessna
1st Gear
I also own 06 jcw car.Did call my local dealer because I did not receive cert.for jcw.The dealer told me they only give cert. with dealer installed kits factory is factory if you take your key to the dealer and the plug it in it shows right on the screen that its a jcw car.I was just concerned if there was a way to tell without the cert.they were able to give me a very detailed list.try that route.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
The "JCW Kit" was offered two different ways: as a dealer installed accessory (so you could buy it in pieces) or installed from the factory as a package that included the engine tuning kit, the JCW brakes, and the LSD. The JCW suspension is a separate option, it was never included as part of the JCW package and was always a separate, dealer-installed accessory.
+1
Originally Posted by FlzRider
Is the JCW suspension springs, shocks, or both? Do you happen to have a P/N for the kit?
You need to take your keys in to dealer for suspension upgrade, because depending on what options your MINI has determines what spring rate you get. There is 3 different springs that have seperate spring rates depending on weight of MINI.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The JCW suspension kit is shorter+stiffer spings and matched shocks.
The JCW springs are red.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM
It Works
6th Gear
Welcome to the world of '06 JCW owners!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
Congrat on the JCW.. I find it interesting.. you said it only has 10k on it? Its hard to find a 06 with 10k. yet we just got a 06 JCW last month, and it only had 9200 mi on it.. I see from your picts, that it has the leather,chrono pack ( which is not a popular option ) HK and looks like anthricte interior, chrome trim.. Even the R90 wheels... your looks like our twin... except our is CR/B.. wierd.. and cool at the same time..

Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
FlzRider
3rd Gear
Alright, I am all caught up now on the suspension issue. As for what the engine upgrade consists of, is it just the intake, exhaust, cylinder head, pulley, and coated supercharger (which was standard on 05+ cars anyway)?

Originally Posted by azminiman
Congrat on the JCW.. I find it interesting.. you said it only has 10k on it? Its hard to find a 06 with 10k. yet we just got a 06 JCW last month, and it only had 9200 mi on it.. I see from your picts, that it has the leather,chrono pack ( which is not a popular option ) HK and looks like anthricte interior, chrome trim.. Even the R90 wheels... your looks like our twin... except our is CR/B.. wierd.. and cool at the same time..
Nice, post some pics!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
Here ya go

Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM
It Works
6th Gear
SID!

Originally Posted by azminiman
Here ya go

Old 04-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Swimbaxter
4th Gear
Springs - Can I get some help

I need some help from current JCW owners. I have a set of JCW springs and wanted to see if I could establish if they are for a sunroof or non sunroof car. I would like to ask anyone who has JCW red springs to look at their markings and let me know what markings and options you have. Here is a link to mine https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-springs.html

Thanks in advance for the help.