JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW My 2008 MCSa transformed after JCW mods

Old 04-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Arnel
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2008 MCSa transformed after JCW mods

Got the JCW stage 1 tuning kit and JCW suspension kit installed last week by Morrisstown MINI and the car has been completely transformed. $4200 total for all the parts, labor, and alignment. Was charged 5 hours for the tuning kit labor and the $470 special for the suspension labor. I know, I know, this visit was not cheap. But for the peace of mind for the warranty, to me it's worth it.

First impressions, it's got more pep. Even in non-sport mode, it gets moving quicker when you tap the gas. Then in sport mode, it holds the revs higher before going into the next gear. And then there is the exhaust note. SWEET! To me, not too load and not too soft. It's just right. BTW, I just turned 40. So my tastes are changing. :-) I don't like it too too loud anymore. And then to the suspension. It's alot stiffer and tighter. It might be too much for most people. But I love it!

And back to the exhaust. Total love the look. I'm so glad the tip recall doesn't apply here. It sticks out alot. And I love it that way. Screw the people burning their legs. LOL.

That's it for now. Need more seat time.

Some pics:

Old 04-04-2009, 08:49 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the JCW auto brotherhood, man I didnt get the full JCW suspension but I did get the tune kit and JCW rear sway bar plus the strut brace on my 09 auto. Car tracks straight and true now, the torque steer is more manageable, and talk about silly-sick quick!!!

Now, if I could keep the cops from pulling me over out of curiosity...

Oh and my tips stick out a LOT further than yrs...

Enjoy! You will!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Juiceman
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sequence
Welcome to the JCW auto brotherhood, man I didnt get the full JCW suspension but I did get the tune kit and JCW rear sway bar plus the strut brace on my 09 auto. Car tracks straight and true now, the torque steer is more manageable, and talk about silly-sick quick!!!

Now, if I could keep the cops from pulling me over out of curiosity...

Oh and my tips stick out a LOT further than yrs...

Enjoy! You will!
Hmm thats strange you got the JCW stage 1 kit. Miniusa configurator will not let you add a stage1 kit unless you have a manual gear box.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Juiceman
Hmm thats strange you got the JCW stage 1 kit. Miniusa configurator will not let you add a stage1 kit unless you have a manual gear box.
I think they changed that several months ago (made JCW kit for the MCSa that is). Maybe the configurator didn't get updated, but dealers can do it.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Juiceman
4th Gear
Thanx for the info.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 AM
darmog
4th Gear
Grats. I just got the tuning kit installed yesterday myself. Did a little shakedown drive this morning on some 2-3rd gear twisty mountain roads. Luv the exhaust sound and extra oomph when you step on the gas. The JCW suspension and aero kit are next on the list. Just not sure which one to go with first.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 AM
sequence
6th Gear
No worries. Once they redesigned the JCW exhaust mount points late last fall, it was available for all 09s (except Clubman, and I hear that's coming soon.)

Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Juiceman
4th Gear
Now you guys have the stage1 kit installed do you really feel a big difference in power? Reason I am asking I getting ready to place an order for a new MCSa. I just wish I had some info on the 2010 changes coming????

Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 AM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
Now you guys have the stage1 kit installed do you really feel a big difference in power? Reason I am asking I getting ready to place an order for a new MCSa. I just wish I had some info on the 2010 changes coming????
I wouldn't expect any noticeable differences in power. MINI might say a 5-7 horsepower improvement, but I don't think it is going to be earth shattering.

As for the JCW kit, I've said this before so here's the quick list: test drive if you can, if not, don't expect anything huge in terms of difference. Expect great, liveable sound, flat, smooth torque curve and eagerness to rev past 5500 rpm. In the automatic, I bet the differences are more noticeable.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 AM
sequence
6th Gear
I drove mine pre- and post-kit installation and the two differences that are noticeable are the auto's aggressive shift point remapping via the ECU flash (y'll get a CD specific to yr. VIN#) and that the power doesnt drop off at 5000-5500K-- def more ooomph on the top end. With the auto there's a slight lag when upshifting, esp in 2-3rd and 3-4th, but it's no big deal, just keep yr. foot on the gas to keep the boost constant--and watch for THE MAN.

And altho I drive in manual mode most of the time, it's really fun now just to put it in D, Sport mode on, DSC off, and let her rip; that's how the guys at the track do it. That's where one feels the shift point remaps.

Also, y'll get a genuine Certificate of Authenticity signed by Michael Cooper himself, it's so much more cooler, in a in-my-hands tactile sort of way, than a special VIN #--that's all the factory guys get.

Last edited by sequence; 04-05-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:21 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MPowerF1
I wouldn't expect any noticeable differences in power. MINI might say a 5-7 horsepower improvement, but I don't think it is going to be earth shattering.
It's a little more HP, 189 vs. 172, same with the torque. It's not earth shattering, but it is noticeable-- and a ton of fun!

Old 04-05-2009, 11:57 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
I ordered my engine kit last friday. I can't wait to get it installed! I was quoted 3hr of labor at my dealer, which works out to $500.

Next on the list after this is the JCW full brake kit, then suspension but I've not decided on which suspension yet.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Arnel
2nd Gear
It's not a HUGE difference in power. I would say it's about a 10% gain in HP. Again, not huge. But it is noticable. You do feel it on the butt dyno. :-) I think the biggest benefit is that the car is alot more responsive. More aggressive with throttle inputs. To me, the get up and go is greatly improved. For top end highway pulls, you're really not gonna feel much. 10%, 172hp to 189hp, is just not noticable here.

I still think it's worth it because the characters of the car has changed away from the "grocery getter" mild ride. You're paying for an increase in "fun factory". It just went up a few nothces. :-)

Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 AM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
It's a little more HP, 189 vs. 172, same with the torque. It's not earth shattering, but it is noticeable-- and a ton of fun!
I was referring to the upcoming mid-life update coming to the MCS which is expected to carry a small performance increase. Clearly the JCW is a ton fun...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
i got the stage 1 and jcw suspension right when i bought mine. I also got the strut brace in the bonnet.

however i just test drove the new vert which didnt have the stage 1 and stock sport suspension.

It is definitely different on the butt dyno. Just seems like there is more response right away and more fluid throughout the acceleration with the Stage 1 kit. I thought the suspension would be too stiff, but not for me. It is a huge difference.

I DID make the mistake of driving the 09 JCW car, but it had the sport suspension. Again this car you can feel even MORE difference.

welcome to the club.

Last edited by MINIspud; 04-06-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:23 AM
asaulo1
5th Gear
I am curious as to how much different the auto tranny reacts with the JCW tune? Is it quite noticeable? thanks.

I drove mine pre- and post-kit installation and the two differences that are noticeable are the auto's aggressive shift point remapping via the ECU flash (y'll get a CD specific to yr. VIN#) and that the power doesnt drop off at 5000-5500K-- def more ooomph on the top end. With the auto there's a slight lag when upshifting, esp in 2-3rd and 3-4th, but it's no big deal, just keep yr. foot on the gas to keep the boost constant--and watch for THE MAN.

And altho I drive in manual mode most of the time, it's really fun now just to put it in D, Sport mode on, DSC off, and let her rip; that's how the guys at the track do it. That's where one feels the shift point remaps.

Also, y'll get a genuine Certificate of Authenticity signed by Michael Cooper himself, it's so much more cooler, in a in-my-hands tactile sort of way, than a special VIN #--that's all the factory guys get.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by asaulo1
I am curious as to how much different the auto tranny reacts with the JCW tune? Is it quite noticeable? thanks.

I got my Stage I kit installed a week after they released the kit for the automatics.

Just for the record, there is a NOTICEABLE difference.... it's just like installing a pulley on the supercharger on the older minis.... a definite seat of the pants increase.

After that, I too installed a cross brace, JCW brakes, JCW suspension (springs only), JCW aerokit (for looks), 22mm rear sway bar and the car now runs the way it should have from the factory.

Having said that, I'm still waiting to see if someone comes out with a reprogramming kit to make it even better.

Mark

Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
I have had the kit on my 07 for sometime now,and am more than pleased with the results.Q

Old 04-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Azfast1
Neutral
I just had the stage 1 kit installed on my 09 Mini automatic by Mini North Scottsdale. They had a special for $1900 installed thanks to a customer ordering the kit then backing out! Very happy with the extra power and subtle exhaust difference. Lots more fun!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:08 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Azfast1
I just had the stage 1 kit installed on my 09 Mini automatic by Mini North Scottsdale. They had a special for $1900 installed thanks to a customer ordering the kit then backing out! Very happy with the extra power and subtle exhaust difference. Lots more fun!
Somebody told you a lie. They can't order a kit for a customer and then use it on another mini.

The software is programmed... anotherwards, VIN specific. Once ordered for a VIN number, it can ONLY go on that car.

Still a good price. Though I bought mine the first day they came out, I paid 1700 installed.

The more you drive it, the better it gets.

Mark

Old 04-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Azfast1
Neutral
"quote"
Somebody told you a lie. They can't order a kit for a customer and then use it on another mini.

The software is programmed... anotherwards, VIN specific. Once ordered for a VIN number, it can ONLY go on that car.

Mark
Sorry your are wrong in your accusation. They can order a replacement disc with your vin number info and program it correctly which only took them 2 days to get.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Azfast1
"quote"

Mark
Sorry your are wrong in your accusation. They can order a replacement disc with your vin number info and program it correctly which only took them 2 days to get.

Okay, well if they're ordering a replacement disc, then they basically ordered you the kit anyways. I just meant they couldn't use someone else's software on your car.

Regardless, end result is the same... you got a great kit at a great price.

Mark