JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sat in a MCS base model and felt fine in seats and I am 6'2" and 230lbs.
We take a different size jacket, my friend! As a 40reg/32 the seats allow me to rattle about just a little too much. GEtting the optional cloth/leather or full leather brings with it the VERY welcome and necessary adjustable lumbar support. The factory JCW equipment is sweet and looks great together. Have the dealer comp you the sport suspension, at least. It is a LOT of fun, and the JCW badging does lend a lot of street cred, it's a good package. While you can likely replicate the performance for less in the aftermarket, it simply wouldn't be a JCW.

I just went and made one on the site, opted only for the Multi-Function Steering Wheel (cruise), red cloth/leather seating and red color line, better radio, heated seats, and a sport suspension (basically the stuff it's hard to add in the aftermarket). If I were serious about the suspension, I'd either add the JCW suspension or get the base and swap it out for aftermarket. The sunroof is great, but too much weight up high and too pricey. The standard halogen lights are OK, and while the xenons are great, I'd be adding a light bar anyway, so why spend twice?

So... what color are you going to get?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:15 PM
digi0123
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granted the Mini is a BMW product...but it is not a BMW...if you smell what I'm stepping in.....it's a Mini..nothing close to it on the road and you certainly aren't going to meet this type of crowd at a BMW car show. Get the JCW, get the bells and whistles and live your life....can't take it with you....going to be some day when you wished you had.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:35 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Mini..nothing close to it on the road and you certainly aren't going to meet this type of crowd at a BMW car show
PERFECT! +1!

Gotta admit, the Mini crowd will keep me coming back....

Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 PM
CooperS56
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NO it is not worth the money, get a nice exhaust and a CAI and save your self the time and money...and the exhaust will probably sound even better

Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
JoeXD
1st Gear
I just turned in an '06 Cooper S on a new JCW. Chili Red, hood stripes, sunroof, Ipod adapter, cruise, heated seats, etc. Prior vehicles -- Taurus SHO, Honda CRX, deathtrap Opel sport coupe, Infiniti J30, Audi A6 Biturbo, Toyota Tacoma stripped-down pickup, Triumph TR-6.

When I bought the S, I resisted the "look at me!" stuff, because I thought it didn't fit what was essentially a fun and eccentric little car. Then I took a driving course at Mid-Ohio in it, on the track with a bunch of Audi S4's, and realized that it's a serious performance machine. So I decided to treat myself to what appears to be the ultimate Mini.

After a couple of weeks, I'm more than pleased with my decision. The extra power and torque are apparent, and I really love the Ipod thing. But part of what you're paying for is the look. The wheels are gorgeous, the tailpipes are great, and the differences in bodywork, while subtle, are really well done.

Is it worth the extra dough? Probably not, but it depends on what you have to spend. I'm amazed that people shell out forty grand or more for a tricked out pick-up truck. I just wanted the damned thing, and low thirties is not a huge amount to spend on a car these days.

To each is own, I say. Cheers to all, entry level, S, Clubman, you name it.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
JoeXD: I do believe you've nailed it. Well spoken.

Welcome!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM
JoeXD
1st Gear
Thank you sir! A welcome is always welcome!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:23 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edge
As I've posted before, I personally believe that a regular Cooper S, with the dealer-installed JCW Stage 1 tuning kit, JCW big brake kit and the JCW suspension is more of a "true to JCW" car than the factory JCW with the base suspension.

This is coming from someone who has spent a lot of money on JCW bits (albeit 1st Gen), so I watch it closely.

I agree, m y kit exactly...

JCW Stage I kit, JCW springs (didn't want the whole kit, love the S suspension with the JCW springs), JCW big brake kit and ground effects for looks.

I would love to have a factory JCW but at the time, I really wanted an automatic.

Mark