JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Stock vs. Sport Suspension vs. JCW Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 AM
orhanz33
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock vs. Sport Suspension vs. JCW Suspension

Can anyone share their thoughts on these setups as far as Performance, and clarify whether my information is correct.

Stock -> Sport Suspension (adds Dampers and thicker Rear Sway Bar +17" wheels, DSC)

Stock -> JCW Suspension (adds Dampers, Springs, thicker Front and Rear Sway Bars)

Sport Suspension vs. JCW Suspension
  • Both use same Dampers and Rear sway bar
  • Sport suspension includes: 17" wheels + DSC
  • JCW suspension includes: a thicker Front Sway Bar, JCW Springs
  • Neither kit is adjustable

Last edited by orhanz33; 06-16-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:49 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
First of all, the sport package doesn't include the sport suspension. Supposedly the dampers and springs are slightly different, but who knows.

The JCW kit has a 18.5mm rear sway vs the sport's 18mm vs stock's 17mm and has different dampers from the SS setup.

Last edited by thevelourfog; 06-16-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Berilon
2nd Gear
The Sport Suspension does not include the 17" wheels or the DSC. DCS and the wheels are part of the Sport Package

Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
First of all, the sport package doesn't include the sport suspension.
It does on my order guide.

Sport Package:
Sport Suspension
DSC
17"
Stripes
$1500

Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Ok I just checked miniusa and it seems that it is part of the Sport Package now, it used to be a $500 option... At least it was a month ago when I ordered.

Last edited by thevelourfog; 06-16-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Doc Cooper
3rd Gear
Ok I just checked miniusa and it seems that it is part of the Sport Package now, it used to be a $500 option... At least it was a month ago when I ordered.
Which dealer did you order from? I'm looking into MCS or even JCW package.. Not sure all these little tuning is worth it at dealer price. I pretty much mod my car so suspension wise I would probably get aftermarket( coilover or not, I don't do autox or track so something fun on the road without killing my back would be nice)

Sways and tower bars are something I would totally get. Aftermarket price vs Mini' upgrade version... Any noticeable different in terms of real world performance?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:14 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I ordered from assael monrovia. I was also looking into the JCW suspension, but I'm also thinking about just doing a rear sway to start with JCW springs to come later, since I don't want the car lowered too much and the spring rates are probably easy to live with.

I didn't notice a difference with or without the SS in testing, so I didn't bother ordering it. I haven't driven a car with the JCW suspension, so I have no idea what the difference is.

Originally Posted by Doc Cooper
Which dealer did you order from? I'm looking into MCS or even JCW package.. Not sure all these little tuning is worth it at dealer price. I pretty much mod my car so suspension wise I would probably get aftermarket( coilover or not, I don't do autox or track so something fun on the road without killing my back would be nice)

Sways and tower bars are something I would totally get. Aftermarket price vs Mini' upgrade version... Any noticeable different in terms of real world performance?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:16 PM
MakoBimmer
4th Gear
I have been going through turmoil deciding about whether to get the Sport PACKAGE or go Ala Carte to my liking. After reading umpteen million threads on this site AND talking to my MA, I have decided to skip the sport package AND sport suspension all together.

Reasons why:

Runflats are just horrible for handling, noisy and are heavy and expensive to replace. I have had them on numerous BMWs and they are the first mod I make. Why dump money into a package that I know Im going to modify right away with better non RFTs?

The OEM wheels are HEAVY in 17" size...why pay $500 more for them when lighter wheels can be had that look way more stylish for not a whole lot more money. So I am putting that $500 into upgrading my wheels. The 16" S winders are going to be my winter wheels anyway...so it works out perfect for me.

The sport Suspension is a hoax...it basically adds an extra 1mm to the ASBar...for $500? Go aftermarket and get something thicker and better quality!

The options I am deleting are those that I can easily modify in the future. My MA told me that I would be really hardpressed to tell a huge difference in the handling of the MCS with and without the SPORT PACKAGE.

I am only getting the LSD and still on the fence about DSC. I actually turn DSC off in my M Roadster because it spoils the fun when I want to let the rearend loose on my car. The only time DSC has ever actually helped was in the winter snow once...other than that, I think its another basically useless option that I am going to leave turned off most of the time. I may purchase it though to increase resale value for the future.

Just my thoughts....

Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i placed my order back in january. it was part of the package.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
In that case, I was mistaken.

Originally Posted by mellowmcs
when i placed my order back in january. it was part of the package.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Tex Susbo
2nd Gear
Skip the Sports Pkg and Susp

+1 on Mako's idea. I just did. Skipped the Sports package added LSD and DSC. I'll add sway bars, non-RFs and lighter rims after market.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:56 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by MakoBimmer
I have been going through turmoil deciding about whether to get the Sport PACKAGE or go Ala Carte to my liking. After reading umpteen million threads on this site AND talking to my MA, I have decided to skip the sport package AND sport suspension all together.

Reasons why:

Runflats are just horrible for handling, noisy and are heavy and expensive to replace. I have had them on numerous BMWs and they are the first mod I make. Why dump money into a package that I know Im going to modify right away with better non RFTs?

The OEM wheels are HEAVY in 17" size...why pay $500 more for them when lighter wheels can be had that look way more stylish for not a whole lot more money. So I am putting that $500 into upgrading my wheels. The 16" S winders are going to be my winter wheels anyway...so it works out perfect for me.

The sport Suspension is a hoax...it basically adds an extra 1mm to the ASBar...for $500? Go aftermarket and get something thicker and better quality!

The options I am deleting are those that I can easily modify in the future. My MA told me that I would be really hardpressed to tell a huge difference in the handling of the MCS with and without the SPORT PACKAGE.

I am only getting the LSD and still on the fence about DSC. I actually turn DSC off in my M Roadster because it spoils the fun when I want to let the rearend loose on my car. The only time DSC has ever actually helped was in the winter snow once...other than that, I think its another basically useless option that I am going to leave turned off most of the time. I may purchase it though to increase resale value for the future.

Just my thoughts....
That is very well thought out plan IMO. Skip the wheel upgrade and go aftermarket. Skip the SS and get a rear ASB aftermarket. If you really want to go for it get the JCW susp, which includes coilovers and asb's and lowers the car a little bit.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:00 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
STOCK----STIFF
SPORT----STIFFER
JCW-------HOLY SH** it's STIFF BATMAN

Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 AM
orhanz33
1st Gear
I'm sorry i mixed up sport suspension with the sport package. I meant sport suspension only (not including DSC + 17" wheels)

Can anyone clarify what the $500 Sport Suspension option includes?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by orhanz33
I'm sorry i mixed up sport suspension with the sport package. I meant sport suspension only (not including DSC + 17" wheels)

Can anyone clarify what the $500 Sport Suspension option includes?
It includes antisway bars (front/rear) that are 2mm thicker than stock (18mm rear on the SS). Most aftermarket people just get a 19mm rear bar and that's even better than the SS bar. Nobody even makes a front asb aftermarket. There are those who claim the SS also has slightly stiffer springs and dampers but that's really questionable IMO.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
The stock suspension, it should be remembered, is quite firmly damped and fully sufficient for spirited - even aggressive - street motoring. Only if you intend to do competition - track or autox - does it really make sense to look at sport, JCW or other upgraded suspension.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:10 AM
luckyduck
2nd Gear
I skimped on the suspension and audio. I will go aftermarket for both (and new wheels/tires). No sense in paying $500 just to rip all the stuff out when you upgrade it later. I see it as saving $500 on the package is $500 towards basic coilovers.

Now you want a headache, just read and search through all the suspension threads. Good God, I'm more lost now than I was when I first started reading. I have read on here that the part numbers are different for sport and non-sport supsension components.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
any difference in struts for stock vs sport?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:59 AM
orhanz33
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
It includes antisway bars (front/rear) that are 2mm thicker than stock (18mm rear on the SS). Most aftermarket people just get a 19mm rear bar and that's even better than the SS bar. Nobody even makes a front asb aftermarket. There are those who claim the SS also has slightly stiffer springs and dampers but that's really questionable IMO.
So the Sport Suspension option is just a slightly thicker Front + Rear Sway bar. Thanks.

Do you know what the JCW suspension option includes?

Old 06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
orhanz33
1st Gear
can anyone confirm stiffer springs and dampers on the sport suspension.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 AM
SparklingMini
2nd Gear
I have the stock suspension with 17 wheels and it is too soft for my taste. I wish I had the firmer bushing and thicker sway bar.

I don't think Mini offers buyers just the upgraded Sport Suspension dealer installed...do they?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 AM
jpmkam
Neutral
Originally Posted by orhanz33
So the Sport Suspension option is just a slightly thicker Front + Rear Sway bar. Thanks.

Do you know what the JCW suspension option includes?
I'm interested in what the JCW suspension includes as well. Is that installed at the factory, VDC or dealer when ordering a new JCW MINI?

Old 07-29-2008, 01:54 PM
melman8r
2nd Gear
Does anyone know if the JCW springs are linear or progressive? Can the springs be ordered separately?

Old 07-29-2008, 02:19 PM
bugawako
1st Gear
I recently got rid of my OEM springs for H&Rs. Not only did I get rid of the gap, but the handling greatly improved! There is no more lean on corners! I'm now going to delay the sway bars for other mods.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Tennessee Cutty
2nd Gear
with the sport package on my non S I got 16" wheels not 17's and yes I got the sport suspension

Quick Reply: JCW Stock vs. Sport Suspension vs. JCW Suspension