Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear fog light question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Rear fog light question.

Hey,

I called a couple dealers and asked them how much a rear fog light install would be and they all quoted me around $600. I asked why would it cost so much and they told me I need a complete retro fit kit and a set of brand new toggles, and I was thinking this all false information they are giving me. Since my car is a 06 this means that the rear fogs are already pre-wired is that correct? And also that the toggle switch fits right into my existing toggle panel correct? Thanks!

Joseph

Old 03-07-2007, 05:57 PM
jdor1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do it yourself

I had the same problem. I attacked it myself. It's a pretty easy install. Somewhere on this forum or motoring file is a post with the pictures of how to do it.

All you've got to do is buy the rear light and the toggle panel that is appropriate for your car (DSC or ASC, ect...) The easiest part is putting the rear fog light in. Simply pop off the black plastic plug and feel around inside for the prewired fog light wire. It's in there. Hook it up and press in the light.

The next part is a bit trickier but it's not insurmountable. It involves getting into the center stack to remove the old toggle switch. This is where you'll want the detailed instructions with pictures. One thing to watch out for is to be careful removing the wiring from the old toggle. There is a plastic connector that locks the wire harness to the back of the toggles. DON'T snap it off. You'll need to get the whole bit rewired.

Then reverse the process and put the center stack back together. You may need to go to the dealership for them to "turn on" the new toggle. I can't remember if that's right or not since I did this a couple of years ago.

Anyway, total cost is the cost of the light, the toggle switches and some time and any dealer time to turn on the toggle. This is in the range of $150. Well worth the effort.

There's the added benefit of learning how to get into the center stack to add an ipod adapter or do other things back there.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Install instructions can be gleaned here. Note that with '06, the downtubes don't come up and out, but you should be able to move them out of the way enough to get the new toggle bank in.
And get an auto-up circuit to install at the same time!

Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 PM
minjae
6th Gear
good thing mine already came with one. that would be too much hassle for me. but goodluck!!

Old 03-07-2007, 08:17 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Its very easy I did it myself, Ran me $95 for the Light and switch panel from http://www.customminishop.com/ Talk to Brad. and then another $79 for the dealer to program. It will take you all of about 15-30 mins to install yourself, If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
I got quoted by another dealer that the programming would be around $128-$130 for rear fogs, and I asked how much would it be if I also have them program the alarm at the same time they said that they won't add any additional cost. So would rear fogs and alarm $128-$130 programming be a decent deal? Also if I want the rear fog icon on the toggle bank the only way is to order a complete new toggle bank and toggle switches? I was quoted that the complete toggle bank would run around $190. Sound about right?

Old 03-07-2007, 10:08 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Just do it yourself, You will save money.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Complete toggle bank is closer to $70 at Classic MINI. $190 installed would be about right. The toggle bank is all one piece, though you can recoup some cost by selling the single toggles (and the associated white pieces) seperately for those who want toggles without function.
Alarm program should be 1/2 hr labor - $130 sounds steep. Same for the rear fogs, so if you do both, that's acceptable.
Where do you live?

Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Hey Eric want to take a road trip?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:49 PM
vazquezgordo
3rd Gear
I had mine installed for 99 dollars and parts ordered from classic MINI. All came down to less than $200. My MINI is 2006

Old 03-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Carol@PaloUberMini.com
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UK LAW

Its a law in the UK that all vehicles are equipted with rear fogs built into the rear lamps, for heavy rain or fog.Why not just get the real thing and swap out the us rear tails for the UK tails, we could bring them in from our London Palo Uber Mini store if enough of you wanted them, they are very cool, and do work very well. Lucas actually purveys to mini for the bulb....
bryce smythson, palo uber mini.com

Old 03-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
I'm out here in Los Angeles.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
I had the rear fog installed about six months ago and the total cost of parts, installation, and programming was around $250. I don't know what your dealer is thinking charging $600.

If you want, you can PM me and I will send you the OEM part numbers etc from my installation.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:30 PM
PhysicsGeek
2nd Gear
Stick in a reverse light and use the switch blank for something else. I was in your boat, but then I decided I wanted the reverse light instead of a rear fog. Just another idea for you. I picked up kit from

http://www.myminiparts.com/search.ph...=&sprice=&pg=3

See midway down the page. Cheap and easy install. You could do another brake light if you prefer that.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:56 AM
limegremlin
1st Gear
Rear 'fog' light

When I got my 2005 MC I negotiated this as part of the deal and had it wired to the backup lights so it comes on automatically. I couldn't figure out a need for a rear light if I wasn't backing up. I don't find the added lighting that much in my apartment garage anyways.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
ITS SURE LOOKS BETER THEN THE BLACK PLASTIC GRILL

Old 03-18-2007, 06:26 AM
mistro
6th Gear
Careful, sometime the dealers are right! Not all 05 came with the wiring. Early 05 did not have it and then it is a b!+@# to retrofit, including removing the rear bumper and all the trim along side the passenger side plus everything else mentioned previously. My Sept 04 build 05 MCS did not have the wiring I added it but the cost was it took a Saturday to do. The retro fit kit is only $20 or so but to get it installed...

Old 03-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Careful, sometime the dealers are right! Not all 05 came with the wiring. Early 05 did not have it and then it is a b!+@# to retrofit, including removing the rear bumper and all the trim along side the passenger side plus everything else mentioned previously. My Sept 04 build 05 MCS did not have the wiring I added it but the cost was it took a Saturday to do. The retro fit kit is only $20 or so but to get it installed...
I have an April build date 2006 R53.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:13 AM
mistro
6th Gear
You are fine then. Tougest thing are the downtubes, but cost easily in $100 to $150 range. Do it!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Super Coop
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm one of the "lucky" ones with an early '05 that was not prewired, but even so, taking out the right side interior panels was not that difficult.

My DIY install coincided with a trip for an oil service and the dealer programmed the light for free.

I thought that was pretty dang nice of them.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 165 Likes on 131 Posts
What Dealer performed the work ?

Originally Posted by Mishka
I had the rear fog installed about six months ago and the total cost of parts, installation, and programming was around $250. I don't know what your dealer is thinking charging $600.

If you want, you can PM me and I will send you the OEM part numbers etc from my installation.
Hi,
I called a dealer near me in RI, They quoted me $625.00US. Seems bit high to me too. Who did your work ?

I found some high intensity RED LED's which use low amperage and may be tied into some existing lines w/o causing issues with the stack. Here is a photo of the lights made by PIAA. I suppose I could install them in the outboard areas in rear bumper facia. They run $58.00US each.

http://www.eautoworks.com/viewcart.php?addCart=28023

Last edited by Eurothrasher; 05-12-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: ~ FOUND SELLER / DISTRIBUTOR ~ e auto works inc.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My apologies for resurrecting another dormant thread.

I've been thinking for a while now about adding rear fog lights and swapping in a full toggle panel.

I just e-mailed a contact at a local MINI dealer to ask about pricing, and she wrote back saying, "Hi Tim,
I am sorry but they do not make a rear fog lamp kit for any of the Mini’s..."

It certainly looks like the rear fog lamp itself is available from places like OutMotoring, among others.

Does anyone who's added the full toggle panel (DSC plus front and rear fogs) have the part #?

Thanks!

PS -- Build date is 05/05, so I should be pre-wired....

Last edited by TimL; 11-09-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like I found the answer:

Originally Posted by GBMINI
This link has quite old part numbers now, but I think they're still valid:
http://www.gbmini.net/wp/2003/10/rea...grade_details/

A full toggle bank if you have DSC, front fogs, rear fogs, is 61 31 6 917 993.

As to whether or not the rear fogs are pre-wired ... probably, depending on the build date. Pre'05 MINIs always had that wiring (and the bulbs!)
We'll see what the dealer says about availability....

Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
MiniGB06
2nd Gear
Has anyone programmed it themselves? If I could borrow the programming tool from someone locally and do it myself I'm thinking it would be worth the time. I already have the lamp in place, just need the toggles and the programming change. The toggles are dead easy to remove-- I just put in the patented Ian Cull Auto-Up Circuit (Now available from FES Auto!) and the hardest part was getting the knee bolster out from under the steering wheel.

1/2 hour of time from any local dealer is really pricey!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TimL
Does anyone who's added the full toggle panel (DSC plus front and rear fogs) have the part #?
RealOEM says the part number is 61316958036: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=61&fg=35

I got my toggle panel with a discount from Classic MINI: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/classicauto
I told them what I needed and they picked out the correct part.
This is their new contact info: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ne-number.html

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Rear fog light question.