Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Door Mod: LED Puddle Lights and Map Compartment Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 08:48 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Door Mod: LED Puddle Lights and Map Compartment Light

The idea here was to add in a set of brighter puddle lights in the door sill, using blue LEDs (to match the rest of my interior).

To do this, I constructed a number of small "can lights" using brass tubing. the LEDs were set into the can and sealed with clear silicone. the tubing was then inserted through closed-cell foam blocks and the whole assembly was attached to the inside of the door with more silicone. This seals the entire assembly and prevents any moisture from getting up inside the door:

While I was in there, I realized I had two extra LEDs (I got spares in case I broke any) and I put that last set into the bottom edge of the map pocket:

As you can see, the 4 puddle lights are much brighter than the OEM white light. These are wired right into the existng puddle lamp wires, so they dim along with the rest of the cabin lights:

Not everyone's cup of tea, I realize, but it's different, anyway, and it's got me a number of comments so far.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:55 AM
jeffc
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow they actually looks really good. Is there a on and off switch or do they only come on when the doors open.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:01 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
They're wired so that they come on when the rest of the cabin lighs come on. I considered wiring the map pocket lights to a switch, but I'm always wary of lights inside the cabin while I'm driving, y'know...

Old 11-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Looks good, Matt.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:08 AM
jimz68
6th Gear
Great idea! Looks awesome!
Jim

Old 11-23-2006, 10:30 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Free room and board if you come do mine!

Old 11-23-2006, 10:34 AM
schooner2
4th Gear
I was wondering where you got the leds from? Thanks

Old 11-24-2006, 12:36 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I get all my LEDs from Oznium.com. He sells ones pre-wired with an attached resistor, so installation is very simple:

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

Old 11-24-2006, 01:26 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can ImagoX come over to my house to play?????

Very nice look. Wish I were as handy with electrical stuff.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:29 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, the blue is not my cup of tea but I like the concept. Looks very nice!

Old 11-24-2006, 02:38 PM
cooper99
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lights look amazing. Please come to the next Outmotoring modfest for we can meet.

Old 11-24-2006, 03:34 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Thanks, guys for the compliments. I usually go to the MODfest, yeah - I'll hopefully see you there in December.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:01 PM
RoadFly
2nd Gear
ImagoX,

Very nice ! One question what size of LED did you use 3 or 5 mm. Looks like I have a small project for my vacation in 2 weeks.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:24 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I used the 5MM ones, but I WOULD have actually used the 10MM ones from Oznium instead, because the 10MM are much more "directional" and would have resulted in more discreet "spots" when lit. I ended up not using the 10MM ones though because:

1. it would have resulted in HUGE holes in the door plastic and it's a bit tight inside the door and

2. Oznium doesn't make pre-wired 10MM LEDs and I didn't want to hand-solder 8 of the buggers.

In the end the 5MM ones worked perfectly - the foam blocks securing the cans fit just right with a bit of trimming and the lights still are spotlit enough. I set the LEDs just inside the cans, but probably could have got more of a "spot" effect by moving them 3mm or 4mm back into the can. Next time...

Old 11-24-2006, 06:26 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
What's a puddle?

Old 11-24-2006, 06:32 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
"Puddle lights" are what downwards-facing door-sill or frame-mounted lighting is sometimes called, MSFITOY. The OEM one is sometimes called the "courtesy light".

Old 11-24-2006, 06:33 PM
RoadFly
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
probably could have got more of a "spot" effect by moving them 3mm or 4mm back into the can. Next time...
Ahh good info thanks. What about these blocks you used, are they soft foam or a stiffer type, where did you pick those up, a craft type of store?

Old 11-24-2006, 06:51 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
LOL... they're discarded foam blocks that were my son's toy. They were all chewed up and desined for the trash and I rescued them. I'm not sure where my wife bought them but they're dense foam, the same kind that you sometimes sold as "tub blocks" for the bath. Just check at KB Toys or Toys R Us and look for the kind that are really dense. I cut them to shape with a steak knife and drilled the holes for the tubing with a standard drill bit a few mm smaller than then tubing.

If you can't find them I have a whole bagful left.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:53 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Excellent "MOD"

Old 11-24-2006, 06:53 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Nice work...looks great!!

Old 11-24-2006, 06:56 PM
RoadFly
2nd Gear
LOL too funny I'll let my wife know I need bath toys for X-Mass Thanks, Gage

Old 11-24-2006, 07:03 PM
vm
4th Gear
Great mod. Are you using the factory door lights location? I have an '03, that's why I ask.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:05 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
That foam's good for all kinds of things. I used blocks of it under my MP3 player bracket to cushion it aginst the dash (they seem impervius to summertime heat) and I also used it to space out 2 cold cathode bars inside the engine bay - they're dual-purpose spacers and shock-absorbers.

As for the location, I still have the OEM light in there, it's just disconnected. I drilled 4 holes in the sill equidistantly spaced and taking into account the supports inside the door liner then put the cans on those holes.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:02 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
im very interested in how you mounted and sealed the LEDs to keep moisture from them, Im working on a LED project to replace the fender reflector lights, but i want to make sure there outdoor/moisture safe. Can you give me more info or PM me.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I can put it in here...

I'm VERY wary of moisture as well, so first I sealed up the entire end of the brass tube (where the wires are inserted) with clear silicone. I put it on the wires themselves and pulled the LED into the tube, dragging the silicone behind - that way the entire interior of the tube was sealed but the LED itself wasn't obscured with slicone.

Then I pushed the tube through the foam block. I drilled a hole in the senter of the foam a few millimeters smaller than the tube so the assembly would sit inside very tightly. I pushed the "can" through, allowing only about 1mm-2mm of the tube to protrude through the "bottom" of the foam. This would be my "lip" to aid in installation in the door peice.

To attach the blocks, I drilled holes in the door sill the same diameter as the tube, then put silicone on the "bottom" edge of the foam (the side that would, in effect, be "glued" to the plastic with the silicone). I spread the silicone evenly around the tube, keeping it about a millimeter away from the brass. A quick press and I could see silicone oozing through the hole, indicating that I had a 360-degree seal. A quick swab with a Q-tip cleaned up any residue protruding into the can opening.

I let the silicone cure for about 3 hours and wired everything up and I was done. The doors don't geta LOT of moisture but they must get some since I notice my interior door sills are wet after a rain. I plan to check the can lights every season or so just to be sure, but I doubt they'll leak - the OEM light is only a plastic lens clipped into the bottom edge of the door and I think my lights are MUCH better sealed then those are.

The LEDs that shine up into the map pocket aren't sitting insode anyhting - all I did was drill a hole about 4.5mm or a bit larger in the plastic, so the LED had to be wiggled a bit to push it into the plastic (be careful to not bend or break your resistor or the solder. Since the resistor had heat-shrink material aorund it, it was slightly larger than 5MM, so that served as a "stop". I then put a generous blob of silicone over the entire back side, smoothing it down with a coffee stirrer (the kind from McDonalds that looks like a tiny oar - I have hundreds of thethings for modeling work). It then serves as glue and sealent simultaneously.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Door Mod: LED Puddle Lights and Map Compartment Light