Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Clubman R55 - DIY dimmed tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:00 AM
worrycz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman R55 - DIY dimmed tail lights

Hi Guys,
I have been reading this forum several months and now it is a right time to add something from my side. I would like to share some photos of DYI dimmed tail lights. Due to the fact that I live in Europe and some restrictions are slightly different to yours (US) we cannot drive with red-dimmed tail lights. But... sometimes you have to help yourself to stand out of the conformity and do something outstanding :-)

I was looking for some mods available on the market but I did not find any dimmed taillights. There are some LED aftermarket lights but - honestly - super ugly ones. The only way is to DYI. Hereby I will describe mine way.

I decided to disassemble lights, paint all chrome parts to matte black and change flasher cover to dimmed version (friend of mine produced a few dimmed sets for me). And I succeeded ! Please see some pics below:

1) Original setup

Original light with yellow flasher

2) First step is to cut outer part - front lights are sealed (you can use heat gun) rear lights are glued. Dremel helped a lot :-)

Be patient, cut entire light right between outer plexi and black body

3) Disassemble all parts

disassembled parts

4) Used masking tape (3M the best) + brush all chrome parts you would like to have in black with sandpaper (used 800)

5) spray over brushed parts - take you time..

Better to spray several times thin layer..

6) re-assembly started

Looking good :-)

7) Almost there..

Looking super good !

8) Completed dimmed tail light (used epoxy to glue both parts together)

Oh my gosh ! :-D

9) Original vs. dimmed

Just how it looks..

10) On the car - original vs. dimmed

Looking really cool !

11) Done !

One of a kind !

So this is it ! I am super happy with the final look !

End of my story - if you will have some questions - feel free to ask ! I will be happy to help anybody.

PS: sorry for my English

Last edited by worrycz; 12-22-2016 at 01:49 PM.