Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Alta Tach Pods/Cronos Package

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:21 AM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta Tach Pods/Cronos Package

Quick question for my more experienced Miniacs here... I have a Cronos package so obviously dual gauges on my column. Do the Alta gauge pods work on this? I was looking at getting a boost gauge for my R53 as well as a wideband, and was wanting to mount them there. Unless anyone has any better advice, I am all ears as to what to do. Thanks in advance guys.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:25 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
I believe for the ChronoPac you'll need something like the Craven Speed Z bracket,
http://www.detroittuned.com/gauge-mounts/
Then I believe you can use anyone's gauge cups.
They can be reversed for upper or lower mounting options.
Name:  IMAG0522-1.jpg
Views: 6351
Size:  56.8 KB
Name:  IMAG0537-1.jpg
Views: 6571
Size:  88.7 KB
(Double Cups are no longer available as far as I know)

Old 08-28-2016, 06:15 AM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Ugh isn't that gauge kit like stupid expensive?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
He gave a link, cravens parts are typically reasonable.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:22 AM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Wasn't even paying attention to the link, my bad. So the Z bracket then individual cups are needed? I assume then both gauges will mount to one side... Hmmmm

Old 08-28-2016, 06:40 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JaysinStrife
Wasn't even paying attention to the link, my bad. So the Z bracket then individual cups are needed? I assume then both gauges will mount to one side... Hmmmm
it's so you can customize it the way you want, should be a couple options available

Old 08-28-2016, 11:55 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
It's, one Z bracket for each side.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:21 PM
O.C.abrio
2nd Gear
I have the chrono pack gauges. A single Alta gauge pod can mount to either the left of speedometer or right of tachomter via the screw. The Alta/Prosport gauges can then be connected for power simultaneously ("daisy chain").

sorry upside-down

Attached Thumbnails Alta Tach Pods/Cronos Package-20160829_114435.jpg  

Last edited by O.C.abrio; 08-29-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:19 AM
BruceJ
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JaysinStrife
Quick question for my more experienced Miniacs here... I have a Cronos package so obviously dual gauges on my column. Do the Alta gauge pods work on this? I was looking at getting a boost gauge for my R53 as well as a wideband, and was wanting to mount them there. Unless anyone has any better advice, I am all ears as to what to do. Thanks in advance guys.
They work with the chrono-pack but,.....
1. The screw supplied has an over sized diameter and its length is short. I ended up on amazon to find a better size/diameter/length. I already had these on hand along with some spacers as I made my own cravenspeed style mount for my cell phone.Search the quoted phrase below in each of the two lengths on amazon.

"Steel Thread Rolling Screw for Plastic, Black Oxide Finish, Pan Head, Phillips Drive, #8-16 Thread Size" in both 1-1/4" Length and 1-1/2" Length

2. You really need a rubber washer between the pod and the chrono-gauge - too much vibration.I also "carefully" adjust the tilt of my steering column until the rubber hose going into the gauge just contacts the dash.

3. The Gauge you put in the pod governs the PITA factor of fit. Mine was too small for the plain pod and too large for the rubber hose adapter they provide. I ended up notching the exterior and carving out the interior of the rubber hose adapter with a razor knife. Took a while but I got a good fit.

4. Again the Gauge chosen governs the fit as for.... "length of the gauge" I couldn't shove my gauge all the way back into the pod as the wiring and boost hose connection hit the dash when I didnt want it too. Bringing the gauge fwd within the pod worked well and the rubber hose adapter keeps it in place.

So if there are are custom gauges that come with the Alta pods, depending on your patience and skill sets, they may be worth the money. I spent $36 on the pod and $42 on my gauge.

I bought the much poo-poohed GlowShift mech boost gauge. Gauge indicates pressure/vacuum, fairly accurate, I tested it in a cal lab, my only complaints are:

1. The included T-fitting has one restricted flow leg; instructions say to use this leg for the gauge - if you use it as stated then the vacuum boost going to the gauge is severely restricted to the point that you will never see the full boost the supercharger puts out. Using it I only saw 8 psi on a 05 R53 MCS with a 17% reducer, and a WMW Stratmosphere cat back exhaust. Was kinda worried I had a problem. I put in an unrestricted T-fitting from the auto parts store and poof, 15 psi, problem solved. Bottom line is you just go through the gears too fast in normal driving for the restricted leg to allow full pressure to be seen at the point of the gauge.

2. The reduced light feature when your headlights come on doesn't work so well. Instead of just reducing the light output of the gauge, it causes it to "flash" from dim to bright every 2-3 seconds. this is kind of a PITA, but its not nearly as noticeable in RED as compared to any other color.

Last edited by BruceJ; 12-03-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:53 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Nice work.
I second the R53 fit to the dash. I just today made a longer spacer for the Craven double pod kit.
The right side spacer is .60" longer than the, as shipped Craven spacer on the left side.
I've got Auto Meter, mechanical vacuum/boost and oil pressure gauges. I used 90 degree fittings to point the connection down.
An even pod arrangement will not work with the gauges/fittings that I have. Don't know if electric gauges will fit better.

Mike