Interior/Exterior Rear Mirror Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 05:46 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Mirror Swap

I want to swap out my "auto dimming" rear view mirror for a manual one. Anybody know if doing so will compromise any other functions? I know the rain sensor for the wipers is up there but I think that stuff is actually in the mirror base on the window not the mirror housing itself. Any function wizards out there?

Thanks,
Paul_F

Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Richard_rsp
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I have the manual mirror and still have the rain sensor. So I assume that its not in the mirror.... not sure if replacing it will affect anything else though.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:49 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
I want to swap out my "auto dimming" rear view mirror for a manual one. Anybody know if doing so will compromise any other functions? I know the rain sensor for the wipers is up there but I think that stuff is actually in the mirror base on the window not the mirror housing itself. Any function wizards out there?

Thanks,
Paul_F
Hi Paul. Did you end up doing it? Because I am thinking about doing the same, but the other way. I'd like to add auto dimming. I have the manual mirror, with rain sensing already

Old 12-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Frosty_Ohio
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MyroMini
Hi Paul. Did you end up doing it? Because I am thinking about doing the same, but the other way. I'd like to add auto dimming. I have the manual mirror, with rain sensing already
Been thinking of the same thing and wondering if it's just a change, is the wiring already there?

Old 12-10-2016, 12:10 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Frosty_Ohio
Been thinking of the same thing and wondering if it's just a change, is the wiring already there?
If it's like the R-series at least one critical wire will not be present and must be added.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Frosty_Ohio
1st Gear
Really only needs power to the new mirrow, rigjt? I was just guessing the sensor was located in the mirror housing.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:47 PM
devilmotorsports
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been toying with adding the auto dimming mirror to replace my manual one. There are three wires on the auto dimming. I'm assuming that its a positive, negative and a trigger to tell the mirror when the headlights are on. I'm not sure if its as easy as just figuring out which is which and wiring it up, or if coding is required and a ecu trigger wire ran. If anyone has electrical diagrams it might could answer some questions for all of us

Old 12-12-2016, 02:55 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Any update on this? I want to also add the auto mirror to mine

Old 12-30-2016, 05:46 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hi ..i have a good easy free solution for you ....I have the auto dimming mirror and sometimes i like it but sometimes i prefer having the road behind me more visible in my rear view .......there is that tiny 1/4 inch round sensor near the top of the mirror, so i simply made something to cover it:

just took a strip of black sticky velcro and wrapped it over a small nut and bolt, just to add a little weight, and then have the other end stuck to the flat horizontal top of the mirror, leaving that weighted loop to just hang over the sensor as needed ...generally, i have the weighted end folded back on top of the mirror totally out a view out of the way and the auto dimming feature works normally, but then if i want to, i just reach up and let the weighted loop hang over the sensor and the dimming goes away and the mirror is just a mirror and the little loop is basically out of the way and not noticeable

i originally was thinking of finding the power to the mirror and making a toggle switch ...but i like this simple low tech approach

Old 12-31-2016, 03:26 AM
Frosty_Ohio
1st Gear
Nice job. Cheap, easy and works. Hard to bet if you are going from auto dim to no dim.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:14 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
I had an auto dimming mirror in my last DD (Subaru) and you could always toggle it off with a switch on the bottom of the mirror. So what you guys are saying is the MINI auto mirror doesn't have a switch to shut it off on the housing? I have been thinking about adding it as well to replace my manual mirror.