Interior/Exterior Can't Get HomeLink to Program - FRUSTRATED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 06:50 PM
DustinFennell
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't Get HomeLink to Program - FRUSTRATED!!!

I cannot, for the life of me, get homelink programmed on our new MINI. I even cleared all devices from my garage door opener (it can handle 7 devices). I reprogrammed the two remotes, the keypad, and my Audi. All of them work. The MINI.....no such luck.

I have held down both outside buttons until it blinks to clear any programming.

All of the buttons when pushed blink super fast.

I hold a button down that I want to program and simultaneously press my remote garage door opener. The LED in the mirror never changes speed, no matter how close or far I hold it. No matter how I point it.

I have had homelink on my autos for over 10 years and have never had such a hard time. Makes me think the MINI homelink system is a POS.

I know about the rolling codes and pressing the learn button on my garage door opener, but that hasn't worked either.

Anyway, has anyone had any luck?

Old 03-13-2016, 07:44 PM
zipitydooda
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know your frustration as I have gone through it with past BMW's. But I am sad to tell you my MINI worked on the first attempt and I didn't even need to use the learn button on my openers.
I cleared the codes from the mirror. Held the mirror button and opener button at the same time for a few seconds and whola it worked. I repeated the process for my second garage door and it worked without issues. My openers are only about two years old, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Sorry you are having such an issue.

One thought, are you doing this while in accessory mode or is the engine running? I did mine while the motor was running.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:52 PM
DustinFennell
2nd Gear
The motor is running and I have an older and newer remote. Have tried both remotes. The frustrating thing is I've programmed homelinks tons of times, but never had this issue before.

The house be purchased in June is 13 years old. I'm not sure if the garage door opener is the same age. However, since homelink works on my Audi, worked on the Lexus we just sold, and was also working on the owner's Ford F150, I doubt if the garage door opener is the problem.

I thought maybe the garage door opener had too many devices programed to it, so I cleared everything off. It now has 4 devices programmed (Audi, two remotes, & keypad).

I don't believe the MINI homelink is programming at all...

Old 03-13-2016, 08:32 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is what it says in the manual, P.119 of the 2015 manual.
http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...r-manuals.html

It has mostly the same information in the MINI Motorer's Guide app.
http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...bile-apps.html

Programming

General information:

1. Switch on the ignition.

2. Initial setup: Press and hold the left and right button on the interior rearview mirror simultaneously for approximately 20 seconds until the LED on the interior rearview mirror flashes. This erases all programming of the buttons on the interior rearview mirror.

3. Hold the hand-held transmitter for the system to be controlled approx. 1 to 3 in/2.5 to 8 cm away from the buttons of the interior rearview mirror. The required distance depends on the manual transmitter.

4. Simultaneously press and hold the button of the desired function on the hand-held transmitter and the button to be programmed on the interior rearview mirror. The LED on the interior rearview mirror will begin flashing slowly.

5. Release both buttons as soon as the LED flashes more rapidly. The LED flashing faster indicates that the button on the interior rearview mirror has been programmed. If the LED does not flash faster after at least 60 seconds, change the distance between the interior rearview mirror and the handheld transmitter and repeat the step. Several more attempts at different distances may be necessary. Wait at least 15 seconds between attempts.

Canada: if programming with the handheld transmitter was interrupted, hold down the interior rearview mirror button and repeatedly press and release the handheld transmitter button for 2 seconds.

6. To program other functions on other buttons, repeat steps 3 to 5.

The systems can be controlled using the interior rearview mirror buttons.

Special feature of the alternating-code wireless system:

If you are unable to operate the system after repeated programming, please check if the system to be controlled features an alternatingcode system.

Read the system's operating manual, or press the programmed button on the interior rearview mirror longer. If the LED on the interior rearview mirror starts flashing rapidly and then stays lit constantly for 2 seconds, the system features an alternating-code system. Flashing 120 and continuous illumination of the LED will repeat for approximately 20 seconds.

For systems with an alternating-code system, the Universal Integrated Remote Control and the system also have to be synchronized.

Please read the operating manual to find out how to synchronize the system. Synchronizing is easier with the aid of a second person.

To synchronize:

1. Park the vehicle within range of the remote-controlled system.

2. Program the relevant button on the interior rearview mirror as described.

3. Locate and press the synchronizing button on the system being programmed. You have approx. 30 seconds for the next step.

4. Hold down the programmed button on the interior rearview mirror for approximately 3 seconds and then release it. If necessary, repeat this step up to three times in order to finish synchronization. Once synchronization is complete, the programmed function will be carried out.

Reprogramming individual buttons

1. Switch on the ignition.

2. Press and hold the interior rearview mirror button to be programmed.

3. As soon as the interior rearview mirror LED starts flashing slowly, hold the hand-held transmitter for the system to be controlled approx. 1 to 3 in/2.5 to 8 cm away from the buttons of the interior rearview mirror. The required distance depends on the manual transmitter.

4. Likewise, press and hold the button of the desired function on the hand-held transmitter.

5. Release both buttons as soon as the interior rearview mirror LED flashes more rapidly. The LED flashing faster indicates that the button on the interior rearview mirror has been programmed. The system can then be controlled by the button on the interior rearview mirror.

If the LED does not flash faster after at least 60 seconds, change the distance and repeat the step. Several more attempts at different distances may be necessary. Wait at least 15 seconds between attempts.

Canada: if programming with the handheld transmitter was interrupted, hold down the interior rearview mirror button and repeatedly press and release the handheld transmitter button for 2 seconds.

Controls

Before operation

Before operating a system using the universal garage door opener, ensure that there are no people, animals, or objects within the range of movement of the remote-controlled system; otherwise, there is a risk of injury or damage. Also follow the safety instructions of the handheld transmitter.

The system, such as the garage door, can be operated using the button on the interior rearview mirror while the engine is running or when the ignition is started. To do this, hold down the button within receiving range of the system until the function is activated. The interior rearview mirror LED stays lit while the wireless signal is being transmitted.

Deleting stored functions

Press and hold the left and right button on the interior rearview mirror simultaneously for approximately 20 seconds until the LED flashes rapidly. All stored functions are deleted. The functions cannot be deleted individually

Old 03-14-2016, 04:42 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
I had a difficult time too - until I did the second part - the synchronize part. Nothing worked until then.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:45 PM
DustinFennell
2nd Gear
I finally figured it out. Neither one of the remotes I had would successfully program the MINI or my 2015 BMW Z4. Didn't have any issues using them to program my 2014 Audi or 2014 Lexus. We purchased the used home in July, so those were the remotes that were left on the counter.

I thought my garage door opener was not compatible with the BMW HomeLink for some weird reason. So I bought another garage door remote so I could leave one in the BMW and one in the MINI (the third one is for my daughter's MINI).

For shitz and giggles, I decided to try and program my BMW with the new remote. What do you know!?! It worked perfectly. I then tried programming the MINI and it worked too. Very weird, very weird.....

The following users liked this post:
ApexF60SE (04-01-2022)
Old 05-30-2016, 02:38 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HomeLink

Homelink should really clarify that there exists TWO technologies that they offer. Past and present (within the last 10 years). Garage Door opener companies like Liftmaster (they carry different brand names, and made for many companies i.e. Sears etc). And NOT all homelink devices in our vehicles are compatible with any home garage door opener. When the technology changed over, ooh mama, peeps were complaining as they had a really hard time trying to program homelinks.

Word to the wise, the issue usually lies with the garage door opener inside the home. They are finicky, and there rolling code technology somehow causes a whack of issues when trying to program the vehicle homelink, and, while doing so, the blasted garage door opener modules rolls a code. Hence, your chasing your tail out of sequence and hence you can never get the vehicle homelink to learn. There is no sanity and madness to how it works for some, and sometimes does not.

Oh, one big, HUGE factor, swap out the remote control battery on the home remote, before attempting to program the homelink. Trust me, even though the LED on the home remote flashes, it is in fact not fresh enough to perform the function. Changing the remote control battery resolves 85% of all syncing issues (it's like a false negative, the battery must be good because the remote control led light flashes when pressed... but in fact is too weak to perform the learn function).

check out...
Code:
HomeLink Repeater Kit 855LM, if you are having trouble synching your HomeLink system to a new LiftMaster garage door opener, our HomeLink Repeater Kit is a simple solution to get you up and running quickly.
Converts and accepts a non-compatible HomeLink signal into a Security+ 2.0 compatible signal
Compatible with vehicles that are equipped with HomeLink
Can be programmed to work with more than one Security+ 2.0 garage door opener
Kit contains a repeater and a "learning" remote control

Not sure if you need a repeater kit? Find out by visiting www.homelink.com and clicking on "Program My HomeLink" and then "Program My Repeater"
Cheers,

Old 05-30-2016, 02:58 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Home links are hit or miss....
Could never get my wife's Toyota Highlander linked....but did it with a rental we had in about 30 seconds for giggles....so I bet the implementation is better by some makers than others.....same opener won't link with a newer Honda for mor than ONE use...
And I hate to say it, but the Germans have never been good at making ANYTHING user-friendly to anybody but an engineer.....
My MINI didn't have home-link, so good luck!!

Last edited by ZippyNH; 05-30-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:13 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Homelink is a licensed registered product...

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Home links are hit or miss....
Could never get my wife's Toyota Highlander linked....but did it with a rental we had in about 30 seconds for giggles....so I bet the implementation is better by some makers than others.....same opener won't link with a newer Honda for mor than ONE use...
And I hate to say it, but the Germans have never been good at making ANYTHING user-friendly to anybody but an engineer.....
My MINI didn't have home-link, so good luck!!
Homelink is a licensed registered product. It is not something that is manufactured and made by a vehicle manufacturer. The integration of the device in the vehicle is designed and controlled by the manufacturer but not the actual product circuitry and technology. The inner working of the various manufacturers homelink integration and the actual device is a common denominator.

Thank being said, it is not superior from one company, i.e. BMW vs Ford in how they link.

The way to improve the linking and integration comes down to the make and model of your actual garage door opener.
The placement within the garage of where the actual garage door opener is located and where in the vehicle you are parked in attempting to link.
The condition of the battery in the hand held home garage door opener (when all else fails, replace the battery on the handheld unit. Most of the handheld units today use a dime style battery which are slim, thin, but are much more prone to weather temperature and reserve power).
And in many occasions, it is easier to perform the task as a two man team (case in point was my fathers homelink integration at his home with his vehicle... he couldn't successfully link it on his own) since you require to press the learn button on the home unit that is usually installed on the ceiling and within a brief moment commence the learn and sync sequence from within the vehicle.

Good Luck All...

Old 02-21-2022, 05:43 PM
berrthum
Neutral
Originally Posted by DustinFennell
I finally figured it out. Neither one of the remotes I had would successfully program the MINI or my 2015 BMW Z4. Didn't have any issues using them to program my 2014 Audi or 2014 Lexus. We purchased the used home in July, so those were the remotes that were left on the counter.

I thought my garage door opener was not compatible with the BMW HomeLink for some weird reason. So I bought another garage door remote so I could leave one in the BMW and one in the MINI (the third one is for my daughter's MINI).

For shitz and giggles, I decided to try and program my BMW with the new remote. What do you know!?! It worked perfectly. I then tried programming the MINI and it worked too. Very weird, very weird.....
Thanks for the post. This totally ended my frustration with a salvage Homelink mirror I had installed. The mirror was not recognizing the key-fob size transmitter I have. So I had to dig up a full size one, and I was in business. Not sure why the smaller transmitter did not work. Perhaps, not strong enough signal.