Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Repainting JCW front lip. Is there a color code?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:17 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repainting JCW front lip. Is there a color code?

My R55 Laurel Sport has the JCW body kit on it and the front lip is in pretty poor shape. I'd like to pull it and repaint it, but if I do I'd like to make sure it matches the wheel arches as well. Is there an actual pain code for this part?

Mine is chipped and you can see what looks like primer coming through, so I'm just assuming it was painted as some point.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:56 AM
joedotmac
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
On my '11 R56 JCW fascia with integrated ABS molding, only the fascia itself is painted to match body color. The black ABS plastic isn't painted. Is your R55 equipped with the ABS plastic painted to match the body color? On mine the body color identification plate is located around the passenger side strut tower. Mine includes the three character paint code and common paint color name.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paint-codes/mini.htm

Pictures of yours might help.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:44 AM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joedotmac
On my '11 R56 JCW fascia with integrated ABS molding, only the fascia itself is painted to match body color. The black ABS plastic isn't painted. Is your R55 equipped with the ABS plastic painted to match the body color? On mine the body color identification plate is located around the passenger side strut tower. Mine includes the three character paint code and common paint color name.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paint-codes/mini.htm

Pictures of yours might help.
Mine is exactly like you described yours. The fascia is painted and the lip is black, but mine appears to have been painted at some point. I guess I can always try plasti-dipping it.

I don't have a close up of the chipping, but I've attached a shot of mine.

Attached Thumbnails Repainting JCW front lip. Is there a color code?-mini-front-lip.jpg  
Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 PM
joedotmac
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I see what your saying now. The ABS plastic appears it has been treated, painted with something. It might simply be one of the plastic restoration products. Mothers has one called Back to Black. I've used it on my fog light, brake duct, and rear reflector surrounds. I've been hesitant to use it on the actual molding fascia and wheel well trim. Usually those products once you use them, you're committed for additional applications or the appearance will suffer.

Answering your initial question, AFAIK there's no official Mini paint code for the JCW ABS plastic on any of the fascias. This would be the same ABS plastic that's used as the wheel well moldings.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joedotmac
I see what your saying now. The ABS plastic appears it has been treated, painted with something. It might simply be one of the plastic restoration products. Mothers has one called Back to Black. I've used it on my fog light, brake duct, and rear reflector surrounds. I've been hesitant to use it on the actual molding fascia and wheel well trim. Usually those products once you use them, you're committed for additional applications or the appearance will suffer.

Answering your initial question, AFAIK there's no official Mini paint code for the JCW ABS plastic on any of the fascias. This would be the same ABS plastic that's used as the wheel well moldings.
OK. Thanks for the reply.
This one has definitely been painted because you can see a primer beneath the chips. I'll have to figure something out then. It's not bad from a distance, but you can really see it when close up.