Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior FK automotive aftermarket headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 PM
martinroger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FK automotive aftermarket headlights

Gents,

I discovered tonight that the previous owner of my 2002 r50 messed with the inside wiring of the OEM headlights, and the plugs have literally come off.

To put things in a nutshell, I don't really want to add messing on top of the current mess, so I'm keen on getting aftermarket headlights. I stumbled on FK automotive sets, with leveling motors and LED daylights. They come quite cheap, so I'm wary.

Has anyone any advice/opinion on that ?

Old 06-18-2014, 04:38 PM
martinroger
1st Gear
Mounted, working

So so so... I did make the move and bought a pair of headlights from FK automotive. I don't know if they do export to the US, but you can find those on fleabay quite easily. I paid mine 260€ and they do feature leveling motors.

I didn't have time to take too many pictures (plus my parking garage lights are out of order...), but they are nicely finished. They feature a strip of LEDs that are wired on the low beams (but the kit is provided with more wire to connect these strips to anything else you desire). The low beam are projector lamps, so they have a very, very nice cutoff (see pictures below). High beamers are classical reflector-lamp types.

The unexpected icing on the cake came with two angel eyes that are mounted on the high beams. Didn't see it in the description.

Mounting went seamlessly (3 M8 nuts to take off, slide the old lights out, new ones in, nuts back on and voilà). Connecting was effortless, but one can argue that the wire harness is a bit dangling on the back. No biggie, but still. I'll get around to clean the cabling some day.

Lighting-wise, it's literally night and day. My 12 years old lights were having internal wiring issues, and some of the connectors on the bulb had literally fallen off. Leveling motors were doing more noise than anything else.
Now low beams are razor-sharp, and high beams are very, very well working.

I didn't wire the angel eyes yet, I am waiting on finding what I should connect these to so they work as DRL (they are LED-based angel rings, not CCFL). Also, on the down side, they were provided with very very short wires. So I'll have to find crimp connectors and hijack another wire somewhere in the car.

Pre-installation. They also exist with a chrome backing. But since my girlfriend is a fan of pandas...

Reverse side showing the slightly messy harness. I have no idea what the white plugs are for. Green-black wiring is for the LED strip. Tiny wires up there are for the angel eye.

Low-beam cutoff is VERY crisp ! Also, you can see the lights were well-packed.

High beams. Light light light.

Front view. Sorry, no lights in my garage !

And installed, turned off.

Questions, gents ?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:39 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent job! I think they look really good! Once again nice job!

Old 06-19-2014, 02:10 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
So these are a direct swap?

Old 06-19-2014, 04:33 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
These look identical to the "Spyder" headlights you can get over here in the states, which do not have a leveling motor. Are you sure yours have an automatic leveling motor inside? I would be very surprised if they do.

Last year I took a set of spyder headlights and did a proper HID retrofit with HID projectors. Here's my thread on it:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eadlights.html

Old 06-19-2014, 05:03 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
those are the headlights ill be getting at some point, i love the look of them on the pepper white, i also want that exact scheme, chrome ring with black background

Old 07-29-2015, 09:50 AM
martinroger
1st Gear
Alright, some follow-up :

- Still no issues
- The halos are fairly weak... meh.
- There is no automatic leveling motor inside, but servos to adjust global height depending on the car weight load. Just like the OEM headlights, using the 3-positions scroll wheel near the fuse box.
- These were a direct swap indeed
- I thought of upgrading these with HIDs... and eventually I find myself content with the amount of light and the crispness they have.

-> Next update will be large driving/add-on fog lights. Probably four of them.