Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior What's the deal with the hood scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:48 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the deal with the hood scoops?

I'm not sure if I just haven't looked hard enough, but it seems the only options available for an aftermarket, more aggressive looking hood scoop, are from M7.

Now, I'm not saying anything negative about their products. What I'm saying is, honestly, there's gotta be a decent hood scoop for the R53 out there that is less than $200. You'd think in the past 10 years something might have come up.

If not, somebody who is proficient with fiberglass/plastics, hell even aluminum... get on that please.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Cabalabadingdong
3rd Gear
Ask and ye shall receive!

Originally Posted by jown.iv

I'm not sure if I just haven't looked hard enough, but it seems the only options available for an aftermarket, more aggressive looking hood scoop, are from M7.

Now, I'm not saying anything negative about their products. What I'm saying is, honestly, there's gotta be a decent hood scoop for the R53 out there that is less than $200. You'd think in the past 10 years something might have come up.

If not, somebody who is proficient with fiberglass/plastics, hell even aluminum... get on that please.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ly-bit-me.html

I'm working on one as I type (almost literally). Give it a look.... prolly too aggressive for what your looking for, but it could definitely be "toned down" a bit. If it turns out as I expect it will, we'll talk.

Believe me, I've looked all over hell's half acre for something "aggressive". And, like you, I really like M7 products. Lemme know.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:35 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
i just checked it out. definitely an interesting idea. keep me posted!

Old 08-10-2013, 05:49 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's wrong with stock one?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CHKMINI
What's wrong with stock one?
looking foe something with more airflow and more aggressive look.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in the same boat...or MINI I should say jown.iv. These Arizona summers are killing the power on my poor car. I think a bigger scoop would definitely help.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Bond06
1st Gear
Voltage Hood Scoops

Have you seen the Voltage product? Looks good and quality it great too.

http://www.voltageproductsonline.com/hoodscoops.html

Here is a picture

Attached Thumbnails What's the deal with the hood scoops?-cropscoops.png  

Last edited by Bond06; 08-14-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bond06
Have you seen the Voltage product? Looks good and quality it great too.

http://www.voltageproductsonline.com/hoodscoops.html

Here is a picture

i did check it out, but it appears that some modification is needed for it to attach properly, as well as the fact that it is still over $200. i do like the look of it though.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
With almost all the different scoops I have had over the years they almost always required a tiny amount of elongating of the scoop's attaching holes in the bonnet. I have a small round file for that...no big deal to be sure.

For me, the M7 Extreme Scoop provided the best numbers when coupled with an intercooler diverter....per ScanguageII.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Mib4840
I'm in the same boat...or MINI I should say jown.iv. These Arizona summers are killing the power on my poor car. I think a bigger scoop would definitely help.
I relieved about 1 inch of the back of the lower inside lip of the aftermarket bonnet scoop then had a body shop fill and paint them and now run without the 3 foot long rubber bonnet seal attached to the front panel.

Those mods combined helped to drop temps about 2* with faster recovery time. I also use the M7 180* thermostat and Water Wetters additive in the MINI coolant. Typical coolant temp is 177*.

And don't forget, altitude of your location will effect power (boost ) difference as well.....Even in Tucson which is some 2600+ feet above sea level you will have about a 10% reduction of PSI than sea level. That I have no mod for, sorry.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Cabalabadingdong
3rd Gear
Question

Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I relieved about 1 inch of the back of the lower inside lip of the aftermarket bonnet scoop then had a body shop fill and paint them and now run without the 3 foot long rubber bonnet seal attached to the front panel.

Those mods combined helped to drop temps about 2* with faster recovery time. I also use the M7 180* thermostat and Water Wetters additive in the MINI coolant. Typical coolant temp is 177*.

And don't forget, altitude of your location will effect power (boost ) difference as well.....Even in Tucson which is some 2600+ feet above sea level you will have about a 10% reduction of PSI than sea level. That I have no mod for, sorry.
When you say the 3 foot long rubber bonnet seal attached to the front panel, do you mean the one that seals between the bonnet and the grille area? Or the foam rubber seal around the scoop "reservoir?" that seals the bonnet scoop to the IC diverter? Did you basically make a path that was more unobstructed to the IC and does it give some flow into the front and below the IC to help with heat recovery?

Old 11-22-2016, 04:54 PM
caffeinatedmini
1st Gear
im new here to the website as well as being a new mini owner! I keep seeing pictures of this Voltage Products hood scoop and I really want one, but I cant seem to find it any where. all the links I find don't work, and typing it in on google doesn't help either. does anyone know where I can find one?

thank you, hope that this being an old thread ill get someone

Old 11-23-2016, 03:27 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If I remember correctly Voltage was basically going out of business back in 2011-2012. The only way you will find one is going to be used. Try searching Craigslist, eBay and other MINI forums. You might also put up a Want to Buy ad on a few of the forums and see if you get any response. I tried to find a Voltage a couple years back but ended up going with a custom made scoop until it was hit with something on the freeway and ripped off the hood. I am now running an M7 Vortex carbon fiber scoop and am very happy with it.
Good luck!

Old 11-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Anakist
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.atomspeed.co.uk/product/m...-bonnet-scoop/

I have one of those. A guy in the UK makes them.

Jamed