Interior/Exterior Front Cup Holder Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:47 PM
guy n. cognito
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Drinking and eating and texting and dialing your cell phone while trying to drive is just plain "STUPID" & "dangerous." What the hell happened to paying attention to what you are supposed to be doing (DRIVING) Cars should not even be equipped with _CUP HOLDERS_.

Don't flame me because of this because I have been hit in the rear while sitting at a red light twice in the past five years because idiots were drinking their morning coffee and not paying a dam bit of attention to driving the car at all.

If anyone thinks they can eat a stupid sandwich and drink anything safely while driving down a busy street that are out of touch with reality.

Texting and dialing a cell phone is even worse.
While I don't share your anger around the issue, I do agree with this opinion. I rarely "drink" and drive, and when I do its on long trips. Never in day to day traffic.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:57 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The R60 cup holders are practically unusable compared to my R56. Very disappointed.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Sida3
1st Gear
I love, love, love my CM, however, the cup holders are absolutely useless. I usually carry an aluminum water bottle which as a screw on top, so no real problem. I have only had my MINI for a week and I am just smitten with it...don't really give a da** if the cup holders work or not . I came out of a store today and someone was taking pictures of it! Never had anyone do that with my Audi

Old 07-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Cutelildevil666
2nd Gear
I love when I have a large cup and it actually turns on the heated seats when I put it in the holder LOL However, I do not drink from the cup while driving...it's getting the drink from point A to point B. I have a manual transmission, so that would be pretty difficult!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
86LG4T5
1st Gear
My problem is the teeth won't move out of the way to allow me to put something into the cup holder. Like a Coke can. I have to press down with about 20 pounds of force to cram it in. After pulling it out a few times to drink it's dented the da*n can! The top surface of the teeth is almost flat. If they were turned upside down at least they would be angled. It's really my only complaint but it really bugs me. Stupid cupholder!

Is it possible to disassemble the cupholder and remove the springs and/or teeth? Or does the entire console have to be removed to get at it?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Yes, it is and I have but you do need to remove the center console to get to cup holders and springs. It's been a while since I did the hydrographic's on the console but it's possible.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Had a CMS ALL4 6mt as a loaner the other day...the cup holders aren't as good as what I have in the Clubman...the only beverage I tried was a bottle of Snapple, in the CMS, and it would not fit in the cup holder at all.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 PM
MiniacGirl
Neutral
We have the same cup holders in our X5 and I have found them really annoying when toting around my Lifefactory water bottle. The silicone sleeve has holes in it and the cupholder teeth grab onto the holes and I can't get the da*n bottle out of the car. Sort of bummed my new Countryman will have the same issue. Water bottle will have to travel another way.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
One thing I didn't think of checking and since I don't have my R60 yet I have to ask. Does the front armrest flip uo where you could mount a larger cup holder when necessary?

Michael

Old 06-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
One thing I didn't think of checking and since I don't have my R60 yet I have to ask. Does the front armrest flip uo where you could mount a larger cup holder when necessary?

Michael
The armrest definitely flips up, but not sure about any bigger cup holders being offered.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Shoof
The armrest definitely flips up, but not sure about any bigger cup holders being offered.
No, but you can buy the rail base... Just gotta figure out how to fit a bigger cupholder on the rail accessory base.

All I remember being told is that the CM is mostly designed for the US market and a way to grow market share. Seems to me if that were entirely true we would have 20 cup holders that fit non-NYC approved cup sizes.

Hopefully this will work well: http://minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=73

Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Fireproof
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniacGirl
We have the same cup holders in our X5 and I have found them really annoying when toting around my Lifefactory water bottle. The silicone sleeve has holes in it and the cupholder teeth grab onto the holes and I can't get the da*n bottle out of the car. Sort of bummed my new Countryman will have the same issue. Water bottle will have to travel another way.
Or get a different water bottle without silicone sleeve holes.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:33 PM
MiniacGirl
Neutral
Originally Posted by Fireproof
Or get a different water bottle without silicone sleeve holes.
Indeed! However glass ones are hard to come by ;-) Actually I could just remove the sleeve... not sure why that didn't occur to me before LOL.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Any BCHP on this site? (before cup holder people) Remember in your hand, or between your legs,how terrible was that to deal with when driving. Q

Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ATCQL
Any BCHP on this site? (before cup holder people) Remember in your hand, or between your legs,how terrible was that to deal with when driving. Q

At 40, I am quasi before cup holders. I remember most of the 70's cars having those cheap plastic window sill holders.

My grandmother used to swear the reason all of her grandkids are fat is because of cupholders and drive thru windows. She is probably right.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:52 PM
skotsour
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj

Hopefully this will work well: http://minifini.com
/ShopDetail.aspx?id=73
I just ordered this, I'll give an update when it is delivered.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where does that Mini-Fini extra cupholder mount? $59 seems like a lot for an accessory like that, but I'm desperate enough for a better cupholder that I'd consider it if I could really see where it went.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 AM
WeaverNH
2nd Gear
Bothersome Cupholders

You guys are all coming up with some pretty solutions to a very annoying problem. If you were to email MINI from the MINIusa.com site they might try to take your words to heart and make some changes. I've seen it happen before. MINI owners and drivers are the best real world for any engineering group. The engineers can "think tank" all they want, but until the product (in this case the car) gets out in the real world, the practical applications don't appear. Let MINI know your thoughts.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Fireproof
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tippykayak
Where does that Mini-Fini extra cupholder mount? $59 seems like a lot for an accessory like that, but I'm desperate enough for a better cupholder that I'd consider it if I could really see where it went.
I'd like to see some good pictures with it mounted in the CM.

Also - is it reversible, meaning you can remove it and never tell it was there? Or does it require drilling holes or any other modification to the stock interior?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:42 PM
skotsour
2nd Gear
Hopefully I'll get mine soon and then I'll take pictures for you guys.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM
skotsour
2nd Gear
I got the MiniFini Countryman Cup-Link today. I'm not sure if I'm going to install it as it requires drilling a hole. It mounts with 3M tape and a screw, I wonder if the 3m tape would be strong enough on it's own?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skotsour
I got the MiniFini Countryman Cup-Link today. I'm not sure if I'm going to install it as it requires drilling a hole. It mounts with 3M tape and a screw, I wonder if the 3m tape would be strong enough on it's own?
can you take a picture of it installed, or just sitting there anyways?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 AM
skotsour
2nd Gear
I finally installed the MiniFini cup holder. I was hesitant to drill into my new CM but I'm glad I did. The only thing I'm not happy with is the appearance of the 3M tape. I might hit it with a Sharpie or something similar.

EDIT: Sorry for the sideways pics!

Attached Thumbnails Front Cup Holder Gripes-photo-1-.jpg   Front Cup Holder Gripes-photo.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 PM
WeaverNH
2nd Gear
Looks good.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by skotsour
I finally installed the MiniFini cup holder. I was hesitant to drill into my new CM but I'm glad I did. The only thing I'm not happy with is the appearance of the 3M tape. I might hit it with a Sharpie or something similar.

EDIT: Sorry for the sideways pics!
I Might just buy one before MITM.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Front Cup Holder Gripes