Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior SUCCESS! Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:53 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
SUCCESS! Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.

This is what I did today...took about 4 hours...would take much less time (1 hour?) if I didn't have to figure a lot out. I must say a BIG thanks to cjmadura, as he got me most of the way thru it (he did not install a replacement mirror).

1) removed my rear view mirror,

2) got the remote-receiver circuit board out of the mirror housing,

3) placed it up in the headliner, and then,

4) installed a $15 replacement day/night mirror that is virtually 100% out of the way of the view thru the windshield.

THE VIEW IS AWESOME.

I'd post all the pics and instructions here...but I see that I can only post 3 pics per posting...so I put it all in a Picassa web album...I hope to figure out how to put the whole process here (advice please?).

Enjoy:

REAR VIEW MIRROR REMOVAL

The following 2 users liked this post by wsalopek:
JDS15 (09-10-2020), Tran2tran (05-27-2020)
Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess? I am just not that **** it doesn't block that much for me.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:18 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kind of bothers me. i've changed my seating position to compensate as much as possible giving me sore legs on long trips. totally depends on driving position and driver torso height. my wife has no complaints, and when i lower my level to hers, it's a wonderful view. we need custom sized cars. for example, i would love to have a longer seat base.

btw, i already said so in another thread, but nice job! great instructions and pics. your perseverance paid off.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:15 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Although i do agree that the mirror is higher up and out of the way for you the final result at this point looks very ugly IMHO.

If you do manage to get the Gray plastic cover back on it would look much better.

The problem i see with this is that the black plastic part you have mounted the mirror to has no real weight bearing capacity so you will probably have a problem with the mirror vibrating very badly and possibly the balck plastic piece not staying properly attached at the rear edge away fromthe screws that hold it in place.

Also of note is that the area where you put the wood block backing is used for the interior motion sensor for cars with OEM alarm systems. So anyone with that will be out of luck mounting the mirror the same way you did.

Also of note is that in a coop it might be okay, but in my Clubman if I was to move the mirror up to where you did I would not see more than 10-15 feet behind the car. I actually like being able to see the cars behind me at about 300 feet back.

The ohter problem I see with this mounting point is that it is moved back to far toward teh rear of the car. it must be at least 7-8 inches closer to the drivers face where you put it. I would have to turn my head to be able to use it to see what little I could behind me.

If fact i jsut went out to the car and sat down and realized even my Computer monitor is father back up there than you mirror and I do have to turn my head to see the monitor so i would have to turn my head even farther to see thru that mirror.

Seems very dangerous IMHO. Even more dangerous than the slight obstruction from the mirror in its OEM location.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:59 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Although i do agree that the mirror is higher up and out of the way for you the final result at this point looks very ugly IMHO.

If you do manage to get the Gray plastic cover back on it would look much better.

The problem i see with this is that the black plastic part you have mounted the mirror to has no real weight bearing capacity so you will probably have a problem with the mirror vibrating very badly and possibly the balck plastic piece not staying properly attached at the rear edge away fromthe screws that hold it in place.

Also of note is that the area where you put the wood block backing is used for the interior motion sensor for cars with OEM alarm systems. So anyone with that will be out of luck mounting the mirror the same way you did.

Also of note is that in a coop it might be okay, but in my Clubman if I was to move the mirror up to where you did I would not see more than 10-15 feet behind the car. I actually like being able to see the cars behind me at about 300 feet back.

The ohter problem I see with this mounting point is that it is moved back to far toward teh rear of the car. it must be at least 7-8 inches closer to the drivers face where you put it. I would have to turn my head to be able to use it to see what little I could behind me.

If fact i jsut went out to the car and sat down and realized even my Computer monitor is father back up there than you mirror and I do have to turn my head to see the monitor so i would have to turn my head even farther to see thru that mirror.

Seems very dangerous IMHO. Even more dangerous than the slight obstruction from the mirror in its OEM location.
Thanks for all the input...they are good points to consider.

Replacement mirror shake...

I drove around today with the new mirror mounted on bumpy streets, and it did shake a little bit...but not much...plus I think I can reinforce the attachment point more...but believe me, that little bit of shaking is a very small price to pay to be able to see so much more forward thru the windshield.

The folks who have more problems with the big OEM mirror seem in some part to be those who drive in non-flat terrain, as we need to look up and to the right quite often to see pedestrians, traffic, etc...in those cases and others, the big mirror is a safety hazard.

The Grey plastic trim...

I'll be reattaching the grey plastic at some point, making the installation look better...I didn't want to put a hole thru that grey plastic until I road tested, etc...once I install the trim and have to put a hole thru it, and if I ever have to undo the replacement mirror, I'll put some kind of MINI emblem over the hole.

The wood block...

Yes, I mentioned that might be a problem. All I can say is that the replacement mirror is an OPTION...for a lot of folks, just getting the OEM mirror out of the way will be as far as they want to go...or they might stick a very small mirror up by the grey plastic trim, or find another replacement mirror idea...the one I used works for me.

Seeing farther behind the car?

Not sure I understand what you are saying here...the front of the Cooper and Clubman are virtually identical, right? So why would the mirror I used not see as as far back as in a Clubman?

The mirror closer to the driver...

Yes, it is closer to my eyes, and yes, I do have to look a bit more up and right...but again, I find this a tiny price to pay for the enhanced view thru the windshield. If the driver seat was farther forward, a person will have to make a bigger head movement to see the mirror....I'm 5 feet 9 inches, so I'm about 3/4 the way back on seat adjustment?

Dangerous?

Well...I think seeing forward is pretty important...and I like the idea of not coming home with a sore neck from having the keep ducking below the OEM mirror (I have my seat height at about 1/2-way). And besides, I can see behind me perfectly...no problems with the replacement mirror.

This mirror issue is like many others with our MINI's...some folks find no ill effect, others are ready to trade their car in because that issue bothers them so much....I was closer, along with the very sticky vinyl seats <g>, to trading in.

The following users liked this post:
JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 11-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice write up and details.

Any reason you didn't glue the new smaller mirror to the windshield or was the issue the stock location? I live in an area that is not flat, multiple mountain ranges varying from sea level to 2500' and frequently take drives to much higher elevations (up to 10k or so). I've never had any problem with the OEM mirror location or size. I'm only 5'8" tall though.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:17 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Nice write up and details.

Any reason you didn't glue the new smaller mirror to the windshield or was the issue the stock location? I live in an area that is not flat, multiple mountain ranges varying from sea level to 2500' and frequently take drives to much higher elevations (up to 10k or so). I've never had any problem with the OEM mirror location or size. I'm only 5'8" tall though.
The issue was the stock mirror's size AND it's location...I was trying to optimize forward visibility, so putting the replacement mirror up out of the way made the most sense for me.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 AM
ruabadfish2
1st Gear

I took my mirror off not long after getting my car. Now at 53k+ miles. Only reconnect it and leave hanging when I need to lock the car. Good job sir!

JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
None of this is to be construed as an argument just pointing out what I see is a problem. And some of your points are extremely valid.

Originally Posted by wsalopek
Thanks for all the input...they are good points to consider.

Replacement mirror shake...

I drove around today with the new mirror mounted on bumpy streets, and it did shake a little bit...but not much...plus I think I can reinforce the attachment point more...but believe me, that little bit of shaking is a very small price to pay to be able to see so much more forward thru the windshield.
Great to hear that it does not shake much.But where I live any added shake to the shake I already have from bad and dirt roads would make it impossible to use.

You may be able to reduce the shaking by coming up with some sort of bracket to attache the rear edge of the black plastic to the sunroof housing between the metal roof and the headliner.

The folks who have more problems with the big OEM mirror seem in some part to be those who drive in non-flat terrain, as we need to look up and to the right quite often to see pedestrians, traffic, etc...in those cases and others, the big mirror is a safety hazard.
I drive in very un-flat terrain. Many dips and humps to traverse. Never had a problem with it as you say you are having. And if people are crossing the street without looking first then they do so at their own peril.

The Grey plastic trim...

I'll be reattaching the grey plastic at some point, making the installation look better...I didn't want to put a hole thru that grey plastic until I road tested, etc...once I install the trim and have to put a hole thru it, and if I ever have to undo the replacement mirror, I'll put some kind of MINI emblem over the hole.
Understandable.

The wood block...

Yes, I mentioned that might be a problem. All I can say is that the replacement mirror is an OPTION...for a lot of folks, just getting the OEM mirror out of the way will be as far as they want to go...or they might stick a very small mirror up by the grey plastic trim, or find another replacement mirror idea...the one I used works for me.
Seeing farther behind the car?

Not sure I understand what you are saying here...the front of the Cooper and Clubman are virtually identical, right? So why would the mirror I used not see as as far back as in a Clubman?
Its the back of the car that may make the difference.

As it is the mirror in my clubman could use to be about 1/2-3/4 lower than it is to be able to adequately see out the rear of the car, I can only see back about 450-500 feet on level ground. All my cars in the past and my BMW 525 Wagon I can see for more than 1000 ft. But I live with the short distance because I enjoy driving the car. A friend of mine has driven it and absolutely hates (and would not buy because) she feels she can not see far enough back from the rear view mirror.

If I was to move the mirror up even further toward the roof as you have I would only be able to see back about 50-60 feet. I did measure this. Raise the mirror compared to the rear window opening reduces the view to the rear of the car.

The mirror closer to the driver...

Yes, it is closer to my eyes, and yes, I do have to look a bit more up and right...but again, I find this a tiny price to pay for the enhanced view thru the windshield. If the driver seat was farther forward, a person will have to make a bigger head movement to see the mirror....I'm 5 feet 9 inches, so I'm about 3/4 the way back on seat adjustment?
I am a slight bit shorter than you at 5'6" and I also drive with the seat almost all the way down, only one pull up from the lowest possible position, so i am sure this probably make a big difference.

Dangerous?

Well...I think seeing forward is pretty important...and I like the idea of not coming home with a sore neck from having the keep ducking below the OEM mirror (I have my seat height at about 1/2-way). And besides, I can see behind me perfectly...no problems with the replacement mirror.
Yes seeing out the front of the car is very important but seeing what is behind you is equally important otherwise we would not have rear view mirrors in the first place and they would also then not be required by law either.

This mirror issue is like many others with our MINI's...some folks find no ill effect, others are ready to trade their car in because that issue bothers them so much....I was closer, along with the very sticky vinyl seats <g>, to trading in.
I would recommend against trading in such a fun car to drive but be ware don't drive something like a Lotus as the mirror in those is even worse (although they are smaller as well) than in the MINI and the window height is a lot smaller in the Lotus.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:46 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice job and write up.

I like the idea I'm just not a fan of the mirror you chose as the replacement. Is it illegal to drive without a rearview?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:15 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Nice job and write up.

I like the idea I'm just not a fan of the mirror you chose as the replacement. Is it illegal to drive without a rearview?
In most states it is except for certain conditions like trucks and some other specialty vehicles

Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Great post! I am another R56 driver who would rather get the big rear view mirror out of my face, and free up my forward view of the road.

But I have a few questions before starting my own mirror-mod:

Picture one starts with the factory mirror "twisted" off. Does this mean you just grab the mirror stalk and rotate the assembly to remove it? Would that be counter-clockwise?

Has anyone investigated to see if the (allegedly) smaller r.v. mirror used on previous series can be substituted for the big one on the R56? I've not had the opportunity to take a close look at r.v. mirrors on the previous series, so forgive me if that's a dumb question.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:58 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
I knew sooner or later someone would have the question about which way to twist the mirror...yes, if memory serves, turn it counter-clockwise (as viewed from below)...90 degrees I believe, and it will fall down, and hang by the wire to the remote receiver.

I'm pretty sure the answer is NO to substituting the earlier, smaller mirror for the big one.

Also, someone in this thread thought I would not be able to see very far rearward due to mounting the replacement mirror closer to the headliner. Answer: I can see as far back as I want.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 AM
2006LiquidYellowMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I got my answer here on how to put the 06 model rear-view-mirror back on, albeit indirectly. I'd rather not go into how it came off! I attempted to slide or snap it back on but the spring clip is way to tight to just punch it straight on or attempt to slide it straight over the slots of the mounting block. I did get it to slide straight over the mounting block tabs by loostening the screw mounting the clip to the mirror assembly somewhat. It did stay "sort of" mounted that way but predictably it flopped all over the place. What the hell was I thinking - the screw was tight when it come off and there is no way to tighten it once the mirror is mounted! I gather now if it comes off by twisting it counterclockwise then it most likely goes back on by twisting it clockwise with the spring clip screw all the way tightened. I haven't tried this yet but thanks to the input above from you Mini geniuses maybe I now have hope for re-attachment without the wobble. I'll be back here if the "twist on" method doesn't work.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 PM
2006LiquidYellowMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just confirming after successfully re-installing my inside rearview mirror that to remove and replace or remove and re-install the rearview mirror on the 2006 Mini (likely also works on other model years with similar mirror assemblies) it is a simple twist of the base CCW 90 degrees to remove and twist CW 90 degrees to replace it with a new mirror assembly or re-install the original mirror assembly. Once the mirror is free of the base the shroud around the mirror base can be removed by gently prying up the top front and rear tabs to pull apart the shroud per the photos in the link in WSALOPEK's 7:53 PM post on 11/21/2009. The plug can be pulled free of the mirror neck and disconnected by depressing the side tabs on the connector to completely remove the mirror. The plug and shroud snap back together easily. I installed the shroud behind the mirror after connecting the plug, stowing it in the slot behind the mirror, and twisting the mirror assembly back onto the metal base.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
1 year (yikes!) update on how my mirror replacement has faired:

1) The black plastic rocker switch housing has held up well...it hasn't bent down or become more loose because of the weight of the mirror.

2) I live in Santa Fe and drive on dirt/bumpy roads quite a bit...the mirror definitely shakes more than the factory mirror, but for me it's not at all bothersome...on anything approaching a decently smooth road, it's all but perfectly steady. I wouldn't even consider this an issue, especially considering the benefit vastly better view thru the windshield, and not having to dip and crane my neck all day long to see around the mirror.

3) I can see behind me as far as sight distance will allow...I found no limitation due to the replacement mirror being mounted closer to the headliner. Taller folks (I'm 5'9") or folks who crank their seats higher (mine is about mid height), or folks with a Clubman, might experience shorter sight distance thru the mirror.

4) One bad thing...there is now a gap between the driver and passenger sunshade...when I am driving into a low sun, if the sun is coming thru where the factory mirror used to be, you are going to NEED your sunglasses. If you commute east in the morning and west in the afternoon (I don't), you'll want to think about how you will handle that sunshine in your face.

JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Still stands I am 5' 9" and still have no problem seeing out of my winshield. I guess I am still not that ****.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:10 PM
iguanad
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Still stands I am 5' 9" and still have no problem seeing out of my winshield. I guess I am still not that ****.
I am 6'3". The mirror obstructed my forward/right view when I was turning right while going downhill like on many on-ramps and off-ramps.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
iguanad
1st Gear
Originally Posted by runswithsizzers
Great post! I am another R56 driver who would rather get the big rear view mirror out of my face, and free up my forward view of the road.

But I have a few questions before starting my own mirror-mod:

Picture one starts with the factory mirror "twisted" off. Does this mean you just grab the mirror stalk and rotate the assembly to remove it? Would that be counter-clockwise?

Has anyone investigated to see if the (allegedly) smaller r.v. mirror used on previous series can be substituted for the big one on the R56? I've not had the opportunity to take a close look at r.v. mirrors on the previous series, so forgive me if that's a dumb question.
I have confirmed this. I just swapped my 2010 rearview mirror for a 2002 rearview mirror. It is definitely a big improvement. You do have to remove the keyless receiver from the old mirror and relocate it like wsalopek did. I also wrapped it in bubble wrap like he did. The keyless still works well from 150' away.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
In my '06 I fold the mirror up out of the way when doing spirited driving, such as on the Dragon. Folding it up out of the way certainly opens up the forward view tremendously.

Some day (maybe) I'll retrofit an old school small mirror.

...Les

Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by iguanad
I have confirmed this. I just swapped my 2010 rearview mirror for a 2002 rearview mirror. It is definitely a big improvement. You do have to remove the keyless receiver from the old mirror and relocate it like wsalopek did. I also wrapped it in bubble wrap like he did. The keyless still works well from 150' away.
Wow...that's great info...and glad my pics helped you make the change.

Anyone know a good source for the older mirror (other than MINI which probably wants a bunch of money)?

Thanks...

Old 10-21-2010, 07:45 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by moreorless
In my '06 I fold the mirror up out of the way when doing spirited driving, such as on the Dragon. Folding it up out of the way certainly opens up the forward view tremendously.
...Les
Great idea.

Another one I had was to find a "pedestal" type mirror...one that would mount low, on a post on the dash, just above the speedometer.

That might also solve the complaint some folks have, esp in Clubmans, that they can't see far enough rearward (from the ceiling of the Clubman blocking long-distance rearward views).

I had done a lot of searching around for a mirror like that about a year ago right before I did my mirror replacement mod, but came up with very little...actually found something on a BOATING website, but for some reason figured it wouldn't work.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Checkmate_2006
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
+1

Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
I finally reinstalled the trim cover...ugly has been greatly reduced.

Attached Thumbnails SUCCESS!  Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.-2011-02-07-13-41-36.jpg  
JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 02-07-2011, 01:49 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
I finally reinstalled the trim cover...ugly has been greatly reduced.
Nice job. Looks very clean.

...Les

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior SUCCESS! Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.