Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior SUCCESS! Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Checkmate_2006
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wsalopek
I finally reinstalled the trim cover...ugly has been greatly reduced.
looks much better.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:22 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As pictured, looks sharp!

But I'm wondering about the area where the old mirror was - just out of view to the left of the area you photographed. How does that look?

I want my replacement mirror to be smaller, and if it cannot occupy the same mount as my present one, then I want it to be farther away from face, not closer. So, if I can't replace my R56 factory mirror with a smaller one from an older series, then I'm opting for a windshield mount.

I've not removed my factory mirror yet, so I don't know what kind of hardware is exposed with it gone. I don't like the idea of looking at something that says "parts missing".

Can anyone recommend a source for an old style mirror - the smaller-the-better - which is known to fit the mount for an R56?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
See pic for the looks of where the old mirror was. It's not very visible from any seat in the car, and invisible from outside. That said, I'm thinking about putting perhaps a MINI badge over the hole...same thing I'll do where the replacement mirror is attached...when I remove it, there will be a small screw hole, so I'll pput a MINI badge or some such thing over the hole.

But if I sell the MINI privately, I'll ask the new owner if he wants the replacement mirror removed...I'll be he won't.

For those who say the factory mirror doesn't bother them, they should check the view with their mirror removed...go for a short drive, etc...it really is a big difference.

As far as other mirror possibilities go, I looked and looked...the best possibility I came up with, besides the one I used, was to get a boat mirror (from a boating website)...the kind that mounts from BELOW and stands up on a dashboard.

I've also seen that type in a few older roadster/cars from time to time...can't remember which models...anyway, screwing something like that down into the top of the dash would probably be a very nice solution...would look very classic.

Check this website for a couple nice dash mount possibilities:

http://www.cobrarestorers.com/

...click MIRRORS.

The round chrome one might look really cool sitting right above the MINI speedometer. And there is another one there that is more traditional.

Attached Thumbnails SUCCESS!  Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.-2011-02-08-11-55-25.jpg   SUCCESS!  Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.-2011-02-08-11-55-57.jpg  

Last edited by wsalopek; 02-08-2011 at 03:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Checkmate_2006
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like the way it turned out. Was the stock mirror that bad?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Thanks for the newer (and older) photos - eliminates a lot of uncertainty for me.

I am intrigued by Iguanad's post on 10-20-2010:
"... I just swapped my 2010 rearview mirror for a 2002 rearview mirror..."

My Dealer (Baron's in Kansas) could not confirm this, and he opined that the mirrors are not interchangeable between models - but he was guessing. So far, I've not seen a 2002 on eBay, but I did see some 2003.

Does anyone know where I can find out for sure which model year was smaller? Has there been only one change from small to big - or several? Guess I'll have to just gamble the bucks on eBay to find out?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:05 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Checkmate_2006
I really like the way it turned out. Was the stock mirror that bad?
There are at least several threads talking about the big mirror and how much of the view it blocks thru the windshield...some people just HATE it...but there are many that think the mirror is just fine. Search for more threads, or read back earlier in this thread.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by runswithsizzers
Does anyone know where I can find out for sure which model year was smaller? Has there been only one change from small to big - or several? Guess I'll have to just gamble the bucks on eBay to find out?
I'm pretty sure the same mirror was used 2002 to 2006, then a much bigger one (after folks apparently complained that the 1st gen mirror was too small) from 2007 to present (though I haven't looked at 2010 and 2011 mirrors).

For me, even a smaller mirror on the windshield might block too much...I figured if I was going to do some work, I wanted the mirror all the way up and out of the way.

JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Last summer I almost hit a little kid in my development because, going around a right-hand curve, the mirror put him in a blind spot until the last moment! And my car is an '05 (with the smaller mirror?)! If it weren't for the fiasco with the power steering pump failures, I'd be surprised that BMW allowed such a safety hazard to slip by for so long.

JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Thanks for the newer (and older) photos - eliminates a lot of uncertainty for me.

My Dealer (Baron's in Kansas) could not confirm this, and he opined that the mirrors are not interchangeable between models - but he was guessing. So far, I've not seen a 2002 on eBay, but I did see some 2003.

This site will at least let you compare part numbers between the years.

......Les

Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
I'm pretty sure the same mirror was used 2002 to 2006, then a much bigger one (after folks apparently complained that the 1st gen mirror was too small) from 2007 to present (though I haven't looked at 2010 and 2011 mirrors).

For me, even a smaller mirror on the windshield might block too much...I figured if I was going to do some work, I wanted the mirror all the way up and out of the way.
Thanks! That helps.

You may be right about the windshield mount, but I was hoping that even with the mounting plate on the glass, the mirror itself could be positioned high enough to reveal more glass than the OEM setup. The one I've been looking at appears to have a fairly wide range of positions:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also, I was hoping by positioning the mirror farther away from the driver, it would be effectively smaller than the same mirror up close, due to perspective. I haven't yet had the opportunity to take the mirror out to the car to see exactly how things line up, so I'm just guessing.

For now, my plan is to try the older (smaller OEM MINI mirror first), and if that doesn't work, plan B is the glass-mount version.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:16 AM
iguanad
1st Gear

The first generation mirrors fit on the mount for the second generation models, however there is a catch. The second generation models have the receiver for the keyless entry inside the mirror. You have to remove the receiver from the existing mirror then place it up under the headliner around where the overhead switches are. There is a ton of room up there. There is not enough room in the smaller mirror. You have to take apart the existing mirror then disconnect some wires to reroute them. There is a thread on it somewhere with step by step instructions. It took me about 45 minutes.

JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by iguanad
You have to take apart the existing mirror then disconnect some wires to reroute them. There is a thread on it somewhere with step by step instructions. It took me about 45 minutes.
That's this thread.

There is a link in the very first post of this thread to a slew of pictures and explanations.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
The first generation mirrors fit on the mount for the second generation models...
I'm still trying to pin down a brief history of MINI Cooper rear view mirrors (after 2002), as it relates to replacing the bigger version on my 2010 with a smaller one from a previous model year.

Apparently there have been at least 3 (possibly more?) styles in manually dimming rear view mirrors. I've started a gallery of photos illustrating some the differences here:

http://garywright.smugmug.com/Other/...83920685_aLVe5

Measuring to the outside of the black plastic frame, my 2010 mirror is about 3 3/8" tall by 10 1/8" wide.

What I don't yet know is:
What size are the older mirrors, and when did MINI change to the wider version?

If anyone can provide measurements, and post them here, it would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to document when the electrical receiver needed for the remote door locks was incorporated into the mirror, but I am not attempting to document any other changes in electrical components like auto dimming, etc.

I just bought a 2003 rear view mirror on eBay for $16. I saw quite a few mirrors from 2002-2006 being offered, with "Buy Now" prices ranging up to $90. After I've confirmed it will work in place of the OEM mirror on my 2010 hardtop, I'll post back.

JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Another refinement (which I should have noticed right away)...I was able to remove the metal bracket that holds the mirror...note: even after removing the center screw, I had to pry down on the bracket a bit to get it to come loose....so that's one less shiny protuberance in the headliner, and will make it easier to put a MINI badge, etc, over the hole. See pics.

Attached Thumbnails SUCCESS!  Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.-2011-02-16_08-26-15_926.jpg   SUCCESS!  Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.-2011-02-16_08-28-17_312.jpg   SUCCESS!  Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.-2011-02-16_08-30-05_319.jpg  
JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
The first generation mirrors fit on the mount for the second generation models...
I can confirm that.

I've just completed installing a 2003 mirror on my 2010 R56. Many thanks to wsalopek for his detailed advice about how to get the door locks receiver out of the 2010 mirror and relocated in the headliner. I doubt I could have done it without his excellent photos.

In case anyone else is considering trying the smaller MINI mirror, I've documented some of the differences between the older style mirrors (2002-2004) and my 2010 version here:

http://garywright.smugmug.com/Other/...93322942_GaEws

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Runswithsizzers...

Do you have a picture comparing the 2002-2004 mirrors that are auto dimming? I would love one of those if it's the same size as the manual flipping one. If not, I'll go manual.

Cheers

Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Sorry I don't.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by peeti
Hi Runswithsizzers...

Do you have a picture comparing the 2002-2004 mirrors that are auto dimming? I would love one of those if it's the same size as the manual flipping one. If not, I'll go manual.

Cheers
Peeti, Sorry, but I only researched manual mirrors for my un-optioned base model. If you just want to see pictures of the auto-dimming mirrors, I expect you can find some on eBay. For example, here is a 2004 auto dimming rear view mirror:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...#ht_500wt_1156

Getting measurements, however, will probably be much harder, unless someone in the NAM community has what you are looking for and will post the measured dimensions here (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

I believe it's very costly to develop the molds for the plastic parts, and if possible, MINI would try to make one mirror body mold work for as many models as possible, so I'm *guessing* the manual and auto-dimming versions *may* be the same size in a given model year.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
peeti
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep - already hit up ebay. Found a bunch of the mirrors, but am concerned that it's no smaller and that would be a waste of effort and money. So to everyone else - if you have a gen 1 self dimming mirror, please post up data! and pix! thanks.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Hypercrew
1st Gear
Great tutorial, I was able to get the plug through the hole with a small pair of forceps so no rewiring needed, took twenty minutes! I did not replace the mirror, have removed the rear view in my last four vehicles, this one is the best without it!

JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:55 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
To all:

I previously said the older series MINI mirrors (2002-2004) will fit the roof mount on newer cars (2009-2010, maybe later). While it's true I was able to mount a 2003 mirror in my 2010 R56, it's also true that after I removed and replaced the older mirror more than just a few times, it got loose and wiggly. I eventually replaced the 2003 MINI mirror with an aftermarket windshield-mount mirror from AutoZone.

Photos HERE

Old 06-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Rob Hunt
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Reviving this dead thread to ask if wsalopek could add a new link to those images since this link is dead?

I'd post all the pics and instructions here...but I see that I can only post 3 pics per posting...so I put it all in a Picassa web album...I hope to figure out how to put the whole process here (advice please?).
Enjoy:
REAR VIEW MIRROR REMOVAL

Old 06-11-2018, 01:37 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
It's really easy.
Just grab the base and twist it to the right.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:42 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Rob,

I'm the OP...yeah...I hear you...Picassa web albums went bye-bye a while back...couple years?

But OK...found the album in my Google Photos...but, WITHOUT my captions...ughh...and now 8 years later, I hardly remember the why's and wherefore's of what I was doing...anyway here is the link, and I'll work on captions (which Google Photos calls "descriptions"):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hfSvPkV0zCp7zfY13

Originally Posted by Rob Hunt
Reviving this dead thread to ask if wsalopek could add a new link to those images since this link is dead?

Old 06-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Rob Hunt
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Rob,

I'm the OP...yeah...I hear you...Picassa web albums went bye-bye a while back...couple years?

But OK...found the album in my Google Photos...but, WITHOUT my captions...ughh...and now 8 years later, I hardly remember the why's and wherefore's of what I was doing...anyway here is the link, and I'll work on captions (which Google Photos calls "descriptions"):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hfSvPkV0zCp7zfY13
Thanks a lot!

Did you ever figure out a solution to cover the open hole in the headliner left by removing the rearview mirror?

I looked for blanking plates online for a while and couldn't find anything. I may just buy a black piece of plastic and cut it to shape using a dremel.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior SUCCESS! Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.