Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Headliner DIY

Old 10-19-2013, 09:46 AM
myquite
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll agree. Not difficult, but a pain in the butt. I wouldn't want to do it for a living.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 PM
qirlie
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for doing this write up... It really helped me out taking my headliner out, I tried wrapping my headliner, but my OCD kicked in, so I asked my friend to wrap it for me and I reinstalled everything. He did a great job... I'm going to do the pillars next.

Here are some pictures:

Last edited by qirlie; 05-09-2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Photos don't work.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:04 PM
myquite
2nd Gear
Wow. That looks great!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:09 PM
qirlie
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by myquite
Wow. That looks great!
thanks, i love it!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:30 PM
JoeGravelle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by myquite
Sadly Jo Anne's no longer has this fabric in store. Hopefully I can find it online or find a different fleece to use.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:14 AM
PA-MCS
3rd Gear
people doing the pillars... are you wrapping them or painting them or plasti dip???

Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I apologize in advance if I missed it, but it seems that the headliner is not secured via the typical MINI fasteners as seen elsewhere in the interior (push to connect clips)?

If correct, then it's simply suspended by the likes of the A, B and C pillar covers, doors & hatch gaskets and roof mounted stuff, like the rear view mirror, clock, sun visors, dome light, grab handles, etc...

I appreciate the confirmation. Thanks much.

Last edited by TonyB; 05-14-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 AM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Curious how these have held up in climates with extreme temp humidity changes (I live in New England). I did one of my other vehicles years ago with some good 3M adhesive, and it started sagging in some spots.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:49 PM
angelnthecty1030
1st Gear
mrgentleminh - I look forward to pictures of the finished product. I just spoke with my brother and I have a 2003 MINI Cooper that the headliner is sagging so we will be using this information to hopefully complete mine shortly. Thank you for the advise.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Cutting12
Neutral
Great thread. Helped me out tons and it looks better than expected.

Headliner DIY-image-4188040467.jpg

Old 11-23-2014, 04:26 PM
rydergal
1st Gear
The headliner in my 06 MCS started drooping a few months back, and after getting a quote of $450 I finally got up the time and energy to do it myself. As is my usual tactic, I simply started yanking things out with no forethought or planning, and almost panicked in a couple of spots when I didn't know what I needed to do next to get the dang thing out.

A huge shout out and thank you to you for posting this...it saved me a lot of heartache and trouble! Fellow MINI owners are the best

A new purple velvet headliner to be installed in my Purple Haze baby tomorrow if the rain clears up

And yes, I would recommend that you get a fabric with a little bit of give to it. The fabric I got is not stretchy at all, which leads to 2 issues:
First, it was very difficult to get it down in all of the curves and bends of the liner and second, when you do get it down in the bends and curves, wrinkles are difficult to get out of the adjoining flat spots. I've got a couple of spots that I am not all that happy with, but with as long as it took to perfect other areas, the glue was too dry to be able to fix them. C'est la vie...it still looks beautiful to me, and now I know a few things about how to work it a little better next time.

Thank you thank you thank you again for the detailed write up and pics. Awesome work!!!!!

Old 12-11-2014, 08:36 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a question about the pillars as I'm thinking of doing this tomorrow. I'd really like to wrap them and have a nice off colored seam going up on bends but the movable belt thing looks as if it'll disrupt the fabric as it's on a very tight track. I've used VHT spray dye before but not on this type of material. Has anyone had any luck painting or dying the pillar plastics? If so what'd you use?

Old 12-12-2014, 05:10 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
They are moulded in ABS polymer.
I have used http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pai...ck-paint-500ml with good results.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:08 PM
Keyou Arian
Neutral
Great guide! My headliner is sagging and will be doing this soon. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a wrap such as 3M wrap film 1080 on the headliner instead of fabric?

Thanks again!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:07 AM
FatherG
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My headliner is beginning to look like Madonna too....

Looks like a project in the near future for me.

One question: do you notice a difference in the interior sound of the car without the insulation (thin as it is) ?

Old 05-25-2015, 10:34 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chris.j.lamb
They are moulded in ABS polymer.
I have used http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pai...ck-paint-500ml with good results.
Thanks man. Still haven't gotten around it it. I convince myself I'll find the time for cool projects and never do. Still trying to figure out the best way to do this. All of the hardware including the visors are light grey. I'd love to redo them in black but it looks like it may be more work then I can manage. The idea was to do a black micro suede but I can't figure out what to do with the visors.
I may just go with replacing the headliner as it is.

The fabric on the vented box behind the light seems slightly more thin. Any issues using the same material for this?

Old 01-05-2016, 04:57 PM
goneFXcrazy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nervous to do this, but I really need to.... Worried about getting the pillars out of the way without destroying the clips.....

Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 AM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I need to attempt to do this as well. The rear section is starting to sag.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:35 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by goneFXcrazy
Nervous to do this, but I really need to.... Worried about getting the pillars out of the way without destroying the clips.....
If you do run into that issue just shoot me a PM and I can help you get replacements.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Blueberry1980
1st Gear
Great thread. Seriously helped me out this weekend doing mine.

Gonna add a few tips though and show some pics.

1. All the stuff in the headliner comes out easily. Most are clicked in with a clip or similar, except the center light fixture, it's screwed in. Take off the little light cover and inside are two screws.

2. The pillars A,C didn't come off as much on mine. Mostly i just tugged until they were loose. Just need the very top clip to be undone. The B ones though you have to unscrew, like shown above. If, you lose a screw here you can go to Home Depot or a hardware store and get a replacement. It's just a pan head, 1/2 inch screw.

3. When you pull it from the car, it'll be at an angle AND you'll have to choose a side to bend. There isn't enough room to pull it straight out. So tilt it, decide which side you want to be bent in on itself for a few moments and tug. It won't be permanently bent. You'll have to do the same when you put it back in.

4. I used numerous things to make this easier.
A Gerber tool or a Leatherman.
I didn't have gloves, so i used ziploc bags on my hands.
A wire brush for the old foam removal.
A old blanket to put the stuff on.
A bucket to keep track of things as i took them out and a separate ziploc bag for screws.
Help from my guy, cuz this is a lot of work.

Pics:

Before

During. ..

Headliner before

Headliner after

Final product

Close up.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:47 PM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Good job, well done.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:06 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Blueberry1980
Great thread. Seriously helped me out this weekend doing mine.

Gonna add a few tips though and show some pics.

1. All the stuff in the headliner comes out easily. Most are clicked in with a clip or similar, except the center light fixture, it's screwed in. Take off the little light cover and inside are two screws.

2. The pillars A,C didn't come off as much on mine. Mostly i just tugged until they were loose. Just need the very top clip to be undone. The B ones though you have to unscrew, like shown above. If, you lose a screw here you can go to Home Depot or a hardware store and get a replacement. It's just a pan head, 1/2 inch screw.

3. When you pull it from the car, it'll be at an angle AND you'll have to choose a side to bend. There isn't enough room to pull it straight out. So tilt it, decide which side you want to be bent in on itself for a few moments and tug. It won't be permanently bent. You'll have to do the same when you put it back in.

4. I used numerous things to make this easier.
A Gerber tool or a Leatherman.
I didn't have gloves, so i used ziploc bags on my hands.
A wire brush for the old foam removal.
A old blanket to put the stuff on.
A bucket to keep track of things as i took them out and a separate ziploc bag for screws.
Help from my guy, cuz this is a lot of work.

Pics:

Before

During. ..

Headliner before

Headliner after

Final product

Close up.
Looks awesome. I sill haven't gotten around to mine. Thanks for the tips. Love the furry dice.

The following users liked this post:
jk6672 (11-05-2020)
Old 04-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great pix, thanks for sharing!

Old 04-30-2016, 11:37 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Finally got around to doing this. What a pain but definitely worth it. I have some extra fabric. If I can find a used set of visors I'd like to match them at some point.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:28 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by daviday
Finally got around to doing this. What a pain but definitely worth it. I have some extra fabric (...)
That looks fantastic! What kind of fabric did you use and where did you get it? From that last pic it looks like something with a suede-like nap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Headliner DIY