Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How Difficult Is It To Install Door Handles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 AM
InterMurph
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Difficult Is It To Install Door Handles?

I want to add some checkered flag door handles to my 2008 MCS. It doesn't have the comfort access option, so I know they will fit.

I would like to do it myself, since getting to the dealer, paying for labor, waiting, etc., just doesn't fit into my 2-kids lifestyle.

Has anybody here installed their own door handles? How hard is it to do without screwing up the handles? I am a fair handyman, but no expert.

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:19 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
I haven't done it but I read somewhere that it's one of the hardest installs compared to the bang.

You have to remove all the interior door panels etc to get at it.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InterMurph
I want to add some checkered flag door handles to my 2008 MCS. It doesn't have the comfort access option, so I know they will fit.

I would like to do it myself, since getting to the dealer, paying for labor, waiting, etc., just doesn't fit into my 2-kids lifestyle.

Has anybody here installed their own door handles? How hard is it to do without screwing up the handles? I am a fair handyman, but no expert.

Thanks.
I was thinking of doing this myself until I read a warning from one of the vendors who sell the handles. They HIGHLY RECOMMEND professional installation. That's enough warning for me!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:17 AM
InterMurph
1st Gear
OK, I guess I'll have to wait until my first oil change, in 15,000 more miles, and have it done then.

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:44 PM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Yep. Door panels removed, as well as either removing the glass or at least freeing it from the mechanism to allow access to the back of the handles.

Dealer is the safe bet unless you have experience with this sort of thing.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:00 PM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InterMurph
OK, I guess I'll have to wait until my first oil change, in 15,000 more miles, and have it done then.

Thanks.
Prepare for a shock. My dealer quoted $600 per side to put on $55 handles. Their quote was for $1310!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:19 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
I did it on my R52 and the first one was pretty tough. But once you have done it once it's not that bad. I have heard on an R56 though it's really hard. I think you have to actually take the windows out on each door.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:59 AM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
You could always wrap them on the car. That's what I did.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:13 AM
ANT818
3rd Gear
while it was tricky the first time, the second handle went much faster. It was alot easier than removing and reinstalling the cold side of the Alta boost tube set. Go for it. You'll feel great afterwards.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:47 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
Seriously it wasn't bad? I need to get the door handles done, but I heard it was a PITA. Do you have tips, tricks, etc. that you could share with us?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just did mine yesterday
The R53 bolts that hold on the handle are torx bolts... so get a torx bit and get yourself one of those ratcheting wrenches that are worth their weight in gold and that will save you about 30min worth of work!!!
Also you can remove the rubber plug where the door lock goes thru the panel and see the bolts so you won't get taco neck!!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 PM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a good write up anywhere for removing the handles?

Old 06-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Not sure...
But between all of us that have posted here... you can do it...
R53 or R56??

Old 06-02-2008, 02:54 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Originally Posted by ANT818
while it was tricky the first time, the second handle went much faster. It was alot easier than removing and reinstalling the cold side of the Alta boost tube set. Go for it. You'll feel great afterwards.
A write up on how to do this would be much appreciated.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:02 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
its available on here...but I can't remember where i found it. One door is much easier than the other, seems like there is a problem bolt that is hard to reach. sorry I cant remember where i found it.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:15 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Old 06-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Well there you go!!!
I just took all the pics and was gonna do a write up to... saved me some time

Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 PM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Umm, that's R53 stuff.

What about R56, not so simple.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:33 AM
gmhl10
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ubdylan
Umm, that's R53 stuff.

What about R56, not so simple.
yea, I would love some R56 DIY on this.
Or... who or what kind of profession should I contact about just wrapping the handles?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
aestetic creations

Originally Posted by gmhl10
yea, I would love some R56 DIY on this.
Or... who or what kind of profession should I contact about just wrapping the handles?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:44 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Door handles removed! Here's how.

I just finished my comfort access door handle install today. I replaced my chrome with the satin black wrap from Vinylstyles. Lyle offered up some good tips on how to do this, but then I remembered that thread on how to remove the door panels. I found removing and reinstalling the inner door panel to be the more difficult/tedious aspect of this install. So if you can make it this far, then you could definitely handle the door handle install. The pannel removal thread is not entirely accurate, but the pictures and info are quite helpful, so I will offer up some suggestions as an addendum to the link posted here.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...highlight=door

Ok. Following the steps mentioned in this thread.

Step 2: you do not need to disconnect the light in the arm rest.

Stop 6: Remove the speaker as mentioned. There are a total of 11 torx T30 shoulder screws to remove. If it's not a T30, leave it alone!

Step 8: Peer inside the hole where the speaker goes to see the L shaped bracket that connects up to the window track. This is where a T handle torx wrench inserted through the bottom of the door would come in really handy. I only had torx bits to use with my socket wrench, but that worked ok.

Step 10: This is explained rather well actually. At this point you would definitely benifit from a ratchet wrench with a T25 bit. The door will be hanging on by these last 3 screws. They are facining in the opposite direction of all the other T30 panel screws you have removed.

Moving beyond the door panel removal. Peer inside the door and you will see that the door handle is held in place by two 5mm allen bolts. Disconnect the black door handle cable, it just slips into place. You will see a rubber flap covering some holes in the door near the handle. Use a 5mm ball end allen wrench through the hole to get to the far side door handle screw. The other handle screw can be removed with an L key allen or better yet, an allen bit on the socket wrench to speed up a very tedious process!

Here is a shot of the white blastic block that the door handle mates to. That block snaps into the door. You will see a silver 5mm allen bolt to remove as well as the cable harnes below it.

Here is the shot of my L key to get to this bolt. When reinstalling the bolt I had to use a socket extension on the end of the allen key to get enough torque to tighten the bolt all the way. A t handle ball end allen would be ideal here.

Here is a shot of the other allen bolt. Notice the tight working space. I would have really liked an allen bit on a socket wrench for this bolt. I used my L key and it's rather tedious. You can also see the plug for the comfort access. It's wrapped in a fabric tape. I had to cut the tape to disconnect it.

No more chrome!

Lastly here is a shot of the satin door handle and it's associated parts.

Last edited by amazingrando; 07-27-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 PM
andrewholmes
4th Gear
dont do it

i just did mine on me 03. its isnt that difficult but HOLY COW time consuming and i have heard my car is easier to do by a long shot. Shop around at body shops as they tend to be cheeper than dealers by a long shot. Good luck!!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
I'm glad I'm the one who did it. It's my car and now I know it a little more intimately.

Last edited by amazingrando; 04-05-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
Only do it if you REALLY don't like the chrome

Did this on my R53. I LOVE the color matched handles but it was a pain to do. I bought a whole bunch of new tools that were best suited for the job and it's very time consuming. I took my time on both sides and it took me about 4-5 hours. If you are on the fence about the look of the handles, it's probably not worth the money or effort. BUT if you are looking to dechrome or if you want to add a detail that most people won't have, I'd say it was worth the effort, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:48 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
It took me a little over 2 hours to do the first door. The second door took about an hour and a half. I agree though, don't bother with it unless you really want that chrome gone!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior How Difficult Is It To Install Door Handles?