Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Removing a-panels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 PM
DME
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing a-panels?

Is this do-able w/o being a body shop? Some nitwit hit my car a few weeks ago and I'd like to try and replace my driver side (EB) A panel with one off a parts car rather than have the body shop mess with it.

(caveat - I tried to search but the phrase 'a panel' makes it worthless)

Thanks!

Dave
'04 MCS EB/W

Old 03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
easy

just bought an '03 CVT that needed this part replaced... bought a new part at the dealer for about $58...

very easy to install, be sure you save the foam strip off the old one (or don't destroy it when removing the old one... it's a long strip that acts as a pad and a seal... it runs from top to bottom parallel to the inner (windshield) side of the pillar... and it's stuck to the windshield and your old part.

pull back your weatherstripping that seals driver's window and door, right next to the part you're replacing... along the A pillar... you'll find 4 screws that hold your part in place.. remove them then slowly pry the old part off... it's also held on by plastic pointed things that stick into holes in the metal part of the A pillar... similar to what's used to hold door side-moulding onto a door.... you might very well break the old part into several pieces trying to pry these things out... that's what happened to me, but I didn't really care since the old part was cracked already... that's why I was replacing it.

'03 Velvet Red w/White Top CVT K&N in the airbox, my only mod.

if you're trying to remove one from another car to use on your car, you'll have to be very careful that you don't break it as described above, when trying to pry those pointed plastic things out of the A pillar metal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Goodwood; 03-31-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 04-01-2008, 06:15 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
are you talking about your a-pillar cover, or the panel that the vents and side signals are in? If you are asking about the latter, I found it to be very difficult, the torx bolt that was holding it on was actually painted on, so I was unable to remove it because of lack of proper leverage. According to my bentley manual it is removable. If you don't have one, you should buy one and if you do have one, it says inside how to remove it.

-Chase

Old 04-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
I'm talking about the black glossy plastic cover on the A-pillar, between the hood and the roof.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:25 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark Loft
I'm talking about the black glossy plastic cover on the A-pillar, between the hood and the roof.
I was making sure what the original poster was asking about.... I knew what you were talking about!

-Chase

Old 04-04-2008, 04:58 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering it got hit by a car I would say that it is the a-panel. The part with the side vent in it.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear

Looks doable at home. Looks like there are only a few bolts/screws holding it on. Maybe you could ask Gnatster because he has switched his panels for new ones, so he should know what is involved.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
My mistake

Sounds like I was mistaken in my initial reply. I've never heard it called an A-panel. I would have called it the front fender.

Too eager to share my recent experience with an A-pillar I guess.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
No worries. I just recently saw another thread on the a-pillar recently. I hope I don't have any issues with mine.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Berthil
2nd Gear
Removing the side-panel is not hard. I replaced it and made a few picture. Commentary is in Dutch but the pictures may help.

One bottom screw was the hardest. It was so tight it had to be flexed of.

Don't try to bend the side-skirts to reach the bottom screw if they are from the aero kit. The skirts will crack. Get a set of new clips and rip them of.

http://www.r53.nl/zoekfoto.php?from=23722383