Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Palo Uber C.F. Extension Wing

Old 11-24-2007, 01:53 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Palo Uber C.F. Extension Wing

I just recently completed the installation of the extension wing. I must say, the craftsmanship of the wing along with it's clean finish have really increased the lip of the wing. The C.F. weave and the shape really match the lines of the mini. I like the more aggressive look without the large bolted on wing.

I would also like to make it perfectly clear that I did pay for the wing, no free-be's here.
Since the first of the three wings were sent to me I have had ongoing dialog with the guys at PU in order to correct the minor warpage that I was experiencing.
They were 100% eager to resolve this issue so the wing would have a perfect fit.
And it Does...

Last edited by MidniteCoop; 11-30-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:57 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good Do you have a profile picture of your car with it installed?

Old 11-24-2007, 02:03 PM
noles825
Banned
That does look really good. I'm jealous...I hadn't seen any good pictures of this on a car yet, so I was apprehensive about ordering one. I might have to reconsider.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Trip024
4th Gear
Looks really good! Ive always been interested in this piece but always balked at the price. Is there also a way to do away with the PU badging?

Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Badging/No Badging

I know that they offered the scoops without the badging.
I'm sure if there is enough interest in the wing without badging they may offer a run w/out.
I like the sig.. on the wing more then on the scoop.
Partly due to it being centered.
I think it would look slick either way.

Originally Posted by Trip024
Looks really good! Ive always been interested in this piece but always balked at the price. Is there also a way to do away with the PU badging?

Old 11-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Trip024
4th Gear
Cool. If you dont mind me asking how much was it with the NAM discount? I went on their site but could not figure it out. Thanks

Old 11-24-2007, 02:35 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
I think it is this one.

NAM KIT #2A: Carbon F. Wng Xtsn. - Price: $298.00

Cool. If you dont mind me asking how much was it with the NAM discount? I went on their site but could not figure it out. Thanks

Old 11-24-2007, 04:00 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My advice on this is to petition for a "no-badge" alternative and wait until PU succumbs and stops badging all of them. I got the PU CF scoop and the first one came with a badge that was off-center and it stuck out in such an obvious way (due to the Mini emblem on the hood being centered and the scoop badge being in close proximity) that I had to return it. PU sent me a second one as an exchange, but it was just as bad as the first. You would think they would check the second one before sending it as a replacement. Finally, they offered a "no-badge" alternative. PU will say it was their own idea (the "no-badge" option), but don't buy into their crap; they are usually full of it. I am fairly certain it was this off-center badging that forced them to offer the "no-badge" option. I could not have been the only one with this issue.

If you take a close look and even measure the badge on the wing above, it is similarly off-center; it is just not as annoyingly eye-catching. These folks (PU) seems to have terrible quality control. In fact, I doubt they even practice any. Also, be careful with this vendor, as they are notoriously bad on making sub-standard product and over-charging for it and having absolutely lousy customer service; they will typically blame the customer, if they cannot easily make things right. The CF scoop is about the only part out of 4 or 5 that I was actually happy with and it took them replacing it twice before I had one worth owning. In short, they s..k!

Lastly, I have a thread here on the PU Tuner Lugs and if you have the determination to read it from beginning to end, you will see I was a defender of giving this vendor a fair chance, all the while many were warning me off. I had to learn the hard way. MidniteCoop seems to love their stuff universally. Maybe he has had good luck, but he comes off to me a a naked shill, even if he isn't one.

Last edited by blackie; 11-24-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the original lid and I love it. The best part is I no longer have dirt on the back of my car. The lip changed the air flow that much.

Longboard

Old 11-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Trip024
4th Gear
Thanks Blackie. I am fully aware of PU's reputation. I have actually vowed never to buy anything from them because of there re-badging and other not so savory techniques. Ive tried looking for the wing from alternative sources (ebay) to no avail. Some are close in terms of length and style but no cigar. There is another extension wing available from bimmerperformancestore.com but its pretty pricey as well at $399. So my search has brought me back to PU and with their NAM pricing its almost reasonable.....I am trying soo hard not to bite the bullet...someone please stop me

Old 11-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Trip024
4th Gear
Nice ride Longboard! I actually like the plain black one better. Is there any pu badging (cant tell from the pic) and would you happen to know what the NAM price is? Thanks.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:43 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Pay no mind to Blackie, he seems to be a pessimist living in the past regarding this vendor.
Just wanted to let all know that I wasn't standing dead center when I took the pic so that may be the reason the badging APPEARS to be slightly off.
I can assure you it isn't.
As a customer I have been very happy with PU as a vendor, and I to had a mounting issue with the wing which took them sending out 3 different wings until I got one that would fit.
And for the record there was no placing blame, or negativity they simply wanted to know HOW it wasn't fitting so they could adjust on their end.
Hope others choose to run with such a unique wing.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:47 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
I have the original lid and I love it. The best part is I no longer have dirt on the back of my car. The lip changed the air flow that much.

Longboard
I would buy the lid just to stop the dirt on the boot but can anyone else confirm this effect?

Old 11-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by donjulio
I would buy the lid just to stop the dirt on the boot but can anyone else confirm this effect?
It's kinda hard to believe that it would work without some kind of side spoilers as well....the car still needs to displace the same amount of air as before the spoiler. The extra 1-2 inch lip might change the air movement OVER the car, but it wouldn't affect the air to the sides or under the car.....and it certainly doesn't change the displacement(obviously). The dirt we witness is being sucked up off the road due to the vacuum created by a hatchback as it literally cuts a hole in the air....The spoiler addition might help a very small amount.....but i find it hard to believe that it would get rid of all dirt when the car is still producing a very large amount of displacement and the airflow around the sides and bottom of the car hasn't been altered.

That being said.....this piece looks to fit better than the last. Good to see . Not a fan of stick on things, I rather have things flow fluidly....but the shape is nice, and it looks good on there

Old 11-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Longboard110
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really like that but cant swallow the price tag

Old 11-24-2007, 06:49 PM
PGT
Banned
I discussed making a realistically priced alternative with another vendor. we'll see if they do so...can't see why not since they already do urethane front lip spoilers for other makes.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:55 PM
midMOmini
3rd Gear
can we get a good side profile pic?

Old 11-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Originally Posted by MidniteCoop

I like the "S" reflection! pretty spiff

Old 11-24-2007, 07:07 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear

Good Look, hadn't even noticed that!

Originally Posted by Lagston@VinylStyles
I like the "S" reflection! pretty spiff

Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
hurt to say but it looks damn good... probably the only PU product that I really wanted..
it would look better with an aero kit spoiler ... I think

Old 11-24-2007, 07:47 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
I was in a hurry when I took the pics from the earlier post, this is the best I can do for a side shot right now, this was taken on my way to my Thanksgiving feast!

I'll try and get some clean profile shots tomorrow during the day.

sprp85, that was my other option when thinking of adjusting the wing, I went with this since it was more streamlined to the body.

Last edited by MidniteCoop; 11-24-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:55 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Thanks Blackie. I am fully aware of PU's reputation. I have actually vowed never to buy anything from them because of there re-badging and other not so savory techniques. Ive tried looking for the wing from alternative sources (ebay) to no avail. Some are close in terms of length and style but no cigar. There is another extension wing available from bimmerperformancestore.com but its pretty pricey as well at $399. So my search has brought me back to PU and with their NAM pricing its almost reasonable.....I am trying soo hard not to bite the bullet...someone please stop me
Hey Trip! All I was saying was use that you should use caution with these jokers, because regardless of whatever MidniteCoop says about PU or about me living in the past (and I am pretty certain MidniteCoop already admitted to having received some stuff from PU at special discounts not given to other NAM members or even for free - hey, they tried that same sort of tactic with me when I was still giving them the benefit of the doubt, trying to buy loyalty or silence; it is how they operate) if you have any long-term problems with the wing they will try to satisfy you with excuses and appear to cooperate, but ultimately blame you and make it difficult to get your money back; many seem to just give up when it comes down to that, which is what PU hopes will happen, rather than have to refund. I hear you though; I agree the wing looks good and as I said I did not have a problem with the CF scoop once they finally got me an unbadged version. I'll hope for your sake that the CF wing extension works out well for you.

Last edited by blackie; 11-24-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:00 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MidniteCoop
Pay no mind to Blackie, he seems to be a pessimist living in the past regarding this vendor.
Nope, I'm not living in the past, pal. I am still fighting with PU over credit card charges, so it is still all very fresh and sinister for me.

BTW, I gave them every opportunity to fix the problems and I defended their right to make things right; the 25 page and growing thread on their RUSTY PU Tuner Lugs is testimony to that fact, buddy. I didn't let them buy my silence or allegiance, though some apparently do.

Good luck with all your PU stuff, discounted or free.

Last edited by blackie; 11-24-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:03 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow that does look nice . And can more people confim that it keeps the back cleaner? That would be a huge selling point for me.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:28 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
How could this possibly keep the back cleaner. Air would hit the spoiler and be directed up even more then with the stock unit. In turn this would create a larger low pressure area under the spoiler. Since the back gets dirty from all the dirt picked up off the road I'd imagine this would pick up even more dirt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Palo Uber C.F. Extension Wing