Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Palo Uber C.F. Extension Wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like your stuck on page two...were on page 4 here and have left that behind us.
Way to chime in now and fuel the fire.

Lets keep the thread on focus so there will be no IBTL

Originally Posted by ImagoX
Whoa, whoa, WHOA folks... Man - I've never seen people so quickly misread a thread and escalate into personal flaming, and I've been on forums since the "good ol" text-only days...

What is it about PU products (and threads) that does this to us? We're all MINI Lovers, remember... Motoring Enthusiasts.

I think that PU must make their stuff out of "Pure Evil" (for the geeks that remember Time Bandits) or something.

Recently discovered archival photo of Mr. Paulo Uber:

:: Waiting to get flamed :::

Old 11-26-2007, 09:50 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, the insults were flying on the last page. But thanks for adding THAT spice to this.

Farking PU threads - I wish NAM would just drop them already...

Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
No need for the
I hear you and was also a bit confused how the thread could stray so quickly from it's focus.
I don't know what it is about the PU threads but they truly do create some heated debates.

But honestly, that is overshadowing a company that has some NICE parts to offer.!
What's your concern with NAM having to drop them, Just don't chime in or read the threads.
That simple...

Actually, the insults were flying on the last page. But thanks for adding THAT spice to this.

Farking PU threads - I wish NAM would just drop them already...

Old 11-26-2007, 10:06 AM
nallen00
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Stuff...

IMAGOX
... I remember Time Bandits. Don't know about "Pure Evil", but some of their prices sure are salty

LONGBOARD
I agree with JIMINNI. That is a righteous list of hardware. Weren't you involved with beta testing their products? Anyhoo, this piece seems almost peel and stick - that easy? Anything you guys ran into with installation?

Looking forward...

Old 11-26-2007, 10:07 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MidniteCoop

But honestly, that is overshadowing a company that has some NICE parts to offer.!
What's your concern with NAM having to drop them, Just don't chime in or read the threads.
That simple...
They also offer tons of cheap, re-badged junk that simply does not work, according to many, many other threads. I'd prefer to not remain silent, that being the case, thanks - it's what places like NAM are for, IMHO, but I'm quite certain that PU would prefer we stop taking them to task.

Do you work for them, by any chance?

I'd warn a person that's just abuot to walk into a crosswalk without looking too - it's just the way I'm wired, I guess. This looks like a PU MOD that's simply "functional, just overpriced" though - at least that's a step-up. Kudos to anyone that has one of these that likes them - glad you felt you got a good deal. I personally think that moving the dirt from the rear window to lower on the bumper (if it indeed does that) is a GOOD THING and if it's verifiable, I think that PU could do worse than to drop all the BS purple prose hype and actually focus on a claim that makes a difference in the real world. I know... I'm a psycho.

As for my preference that PU be dropped: between the evil radiation that PU stuff seems to give off, resulting in countless flame threads and the fact that I personally believe that PU is milking the MINI community, I'd do a happy dance if NAM dropped them from their vendor listing. I know that NAM needs money to keep the doors open, but there's so many good vendors that advertise here, I think it does them a disservice. Just IMHO, of course...

Last edited by ImagoX; 11-26-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
No, can't say I do!!
Do you work for them, by any chance?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 AM
nallen00
2nd Gear
Ahem...

MIDNITECOOP
how about you? any installation pit falls or advice, or is it peel and stick? Thanks in advance.

Looking forward...

PS. Jeez, now I know how you guys must have felt about me

Last edited by nallen00; 11-26-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:24 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
No, can't say I do!!
Good to know... PU needs more happy customers like you. Honestly.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
It was mentioned earlier on in the thread, so to answer your question.
Yes, I did run into installation issues with the wing.

I'm here in New York so the summers are very hot and the winters are very cold. Over the two years of both garaging my car as well as street parking it, my OEM wing has managed to warp. Being a hollow mold I could see this as being totally possible.

It has also been reported by Crevier, the manufacturer of the OEM wing to happen. So PU went to them and got a wing to do further testing, since it was not anticipated. Hence the second and third wing till it finally went into place. I was just talking with Sean earlier and they were meeting with a rep from 3m who has a double sided rubber adhesive that would resolve the very issue I've been running into

It is now on the car with a double sided adhesive and I also ran a small strip of 100% silicone to fill the gaps. As a result of the issues I was having.
I don't find that to be a negative thing either, my uncle runs a car instillation outfit here in New York and West Palm Beach and that is commonly how they apply their parts as well.

Originally Posted by nallen00
MIDNITECOOP
how about you? any installation pit falls or advice, or is peel and stick? Thanks in advance.

Looking forward...

Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He can (and has) said, however, that he receives discounts and free parts as special treatment from PU... Not saying that means something one way or another...just putting it out there.

So some people talk to PU and get free parts, respect, and discounts....other people talk to PU about quality issues and they are treated like dirt, are sent more faulty products, and rarely get helped.....some get lucky....some don't, i guess.:impatient

Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Thanks ImagoX...
To be honest... I know they have had their ups and downs over the years here on NAM.
I will say that all my orders have been this year, so I treat it as a clean slate in my book.

Last edited by MidniteCoop; 11-26-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:48 AM
nallen00
2nd Gear
Good To Know...

MIDNITECOOP
...thanks. I know you had mentioned having issues, but didn't go into detail. Much appreciated It's unfortunate, but if they're aware and taking action, they're okay in my book. At least now I'll be prepared.

Looking forward...

Last edited by nallen00; 11-26-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:17 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Wow... didn't know the OEM spoiled could warp... But it makes sense. I still wish I could put one on the cabrio, though.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 PM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Either did I...Until I tried mounting the fixed shape wing.
No one would know since there aren't many mixed shaped parts that are add on parts to the OEM wing!

Wow... didn't know the OEM spoiled could warp... But it makes sense. I still wish I could put one on the cabrio, though.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
And back to the topic... Great looking wing!

Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LONGBOARD
I agree with JIMINNI. That is a righteous list of hardware. Weren't you involved with beta testing their products? Anyhoo, this piece seems almost peel and stick - that easy? Anything you guys ran into with installation?
I still am. We are in the final stages of the Rotrex Kit development. I have no car right now other then my wife's SUV and my Indian motorcycle .

Yes, it's a peel and stick. The day it went on it was crazy cold here in SoCal. We had to warm it up with a heat gun to make it flexible. Other then that it was measure trice then peel from the middle out one side at a time while a friend holds it in place. They use 3M backing. It isn't going anywhere.

It really does look great. I have the small one and I like that it didn't stand out to much. I like a very clean looking car. The CF one looks great. I know people ride PU allot but my dealings have been great. Really nice guys. I always have gotten a call back. Just my luck I guess.

Longboard

Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Thanks for the new pics LB, yes you have a very nice looking car, but I really like what you have that we can't see under your bonnet .
Thanks JI,

Ya, the power is fun. Glad to here your kids like your car. I have four. 8 and 9 year old boys and 10 and 16 year old girls. The boys are always asking me to take them into the canyons by our house. Gotta teach them young I guess .

Longboard

Old 11-26-2007, 05:33 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Thanks JI,

Ya, the power is fun. Glad to here your kids like your car. I have four. 8 and 9 year old boys and 10 and 16 year old girls. The boys are always asking me to take them into the canyons by our house. Gotta teach them young I guess .

Longboard
Your welcome, my 14 year old boy might like to meet your 16 year old girl............. just kiddin. Iv'e test drove a couple cars lately, a new 08 JCW and a new Mazdaspeed3. I need MORE POWER . Hopefully when Jan gets up here to tune our cars we will get more info. on his numerous projects .

Old 11-26-2007, 06:25 PM
nallen00
2nd Gear
Interesting...

MIDNITECOOP
...what they're experiencing is known as cold flow or creep - internal stresses imparted by a static physical load that force the material into elasticity, offsetting the load, and returning to a balanced state. Basically, that translates into warpage. Polymers are either thermosetting or thermoplastic, which just means that they either "harden" or "soften" at elevated temperatures, respectively. The OEM spoiler is thermoplastic. However, they should also be relatively IMPERVIOUS to thermal cycling (the continuous variation between hot and cold), unless the hotter temps are VERY extreme, or the CURING PROCESS WAS IMPROPERLY EXECUTED - my guess is the latter. Thing is, materials selection and manufacture at the O.E.M. level nowadays is pretty serious stuff - I know, I contract to their vendors :impatient So it kinda sucks that QC didn't catch this in advance, ESPECIALLY with a Class-A surface So is this a common issue, or specific to a handful of model years? And the new 3M material you mentioned, any idea when it'll be packaged with new parts?

LONGBOARD
I know the feeling. Well worth the wait, though!

Looking forward...

Last edited by nallen00; 11-26-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
:impatient So it kinda sucks that QC didn't catch this in advance, ESPECIALLY with a Class-A surface So is this a common issue, or specific to a handful of model years? And the new 3M material you mentioned, any idea when it'll be packaged with new parts?
Hey Nallen00,
Thanks for the breakdown, and yes kind of Sucky....
It really will not effect to many people unless they are trying to attach a fixed wing like myself.
To others this will go unnoticed.
I wish I knew better #'s on how many of these wings were produced as well as across which model years were effected.
With such a high run on the wing, a few are bound to have imperfections.
The info I had was that it was happening in the states (East Cost/4 season states) as well as in the Netherlands.
Regarding the new 3M tape, I think this will be on the wings as of now.
Will double check and keep all posted.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:27 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, can't say I do!!
No need to work for PU, as favorable pricing and free stuff is apparently enough incentive here.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:39 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
He can (and has) said, however, that he receives discounts and free parts as special treatment from PU... Not saying that means something one way or another...just putting it out there.

So some people talk to PU and get free parts, respect, and discounts....other people talk to PU about quality issues and they are treated like dirt, are sent more faulty products, and rarely get helped.....some get lucky....some don't, i guess.:impatient

All too true, but hey, they tried the bribery stuff on me too; I just would not compromise when they kept messing up, making life difficult, making alibis, and spouting nonsense. No amount of money off an already over-priced product that ultimately fails anyway (at least in many cases) will make this equation pan out. I suppose if the number of problems you have are small, those you have do manage to get addressed properly (and without too much hassle), PU is knocking down their prices enough to make their product competitive with the rest of the real world, and throwing in free goodies, you can manage to say nice things about them in the end, but just the fact that they MUST do this sort of thing fairly often (and it is already known they did this dance with this thread starter, as well as me) that should tell you all you need to know about why you ought to look elsewhere first and ONLY use these clowns as an absolute LAST RESORT!

Old 11-28-2007, 04:21 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Edit - comment moved

Last edited by eager2own; 11-28-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know what guy's, this thread was opened up about a CF extension wing, not about lugs, wheels or whatever. This hardware, the CF wing, happens to be a nice product, that a few people have already said works, so what is the proplem? It is priced competitively and I will most likly get one, after Christmas though, unless I can talk the wife into getting it for my present . Any way sorry that one guy's have had a bad experiance with PU in the past, but hopefully with all that's happened, maybe they will get better .

Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
JIMINI,

Exactly my thought.
This is about their wing which happens to be a great looking Carbon Fiber product.

There are threads about the lugs already as well as the wheels.
Keep the complaints to those threads. Honestly!

I understand that there has been issues with OTHER items of theirs.
All seem to mention that it is being resolved currently so let them work it out and this thread progress in the positive light it deserves.

Originally Posted by JIMINNI
You know what guy's, this thread was opened up about a CF extension wing, not about lugs, wheels or whatever. This hardware, the CF wing, happens to be a nice product, that a few people have already said works, so what is the proplem? It is priced competitively and I will most likly get one, after Christmas though, unless I can talk the wife into getting it for my present . Any way sorry that one guy's have had a bad experiance with PU in the past, but hopefully with all that's happened, maybe they will get better .

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Palo Uber C.F. Extension Wing