Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior EDDIE mod

Old 08-07-2007, 06:34 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not working so well eddie

Old 08-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
wait i just got it to work.....hehe put them back up and i could help with the img tags.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:58 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
k illl let you work your img tag magic lol ...once the pics are up ill do the write up so i can see the sequence in which i placed the pics....

Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edubledie

fixed

Old 08-07-2007, 07:04 AM
PGT
Banned
and it's called a 'joey mod'. this thread is :fail: in so many ways

for future reference.....the syntax is [img]link[/img]

Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
no its an eddie mod because i dont like the name joey lol

Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I dig the joey mod nice

So what temp and time did you do the oven at?

Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
sweet

Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Cool....but we definitely need a some info on the procedure you used.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Very nice Eddie, so I gathered you went with the Dremel method? Would love to hear more about it so I can do my own Eddie Mod.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:47 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
FYI ,....this is my first write up so sorry if its not too informative.

1. remove the lights from the car ....very easy ...theres only 3 bolts that hold it in

2. remove the chrome headlight rings, for this step i used a flat head chizzle or some sort about .5 of an inch wide. this was very annoying for me because for the life of me i couldnt get the bottoms tabs up to start peelings away at the top part that had the double sided tape.be carefull though because the tabs that secure the ring will crack off very easily

3.now that the ring is removed you will have more room to work the lens because there is an overlay of lens that spans about an inch wider than the assembly. to start taking the lense off i used a dremmel grinder to grind a small groove in the black housing on the assembly ......make this big enough for your chizzle to fit it ....

4. this is the chizzle tool i used . with the rubber compound that the lights are sealed with.

5. if you look closely in the center of the picture you will see the chizzle diagonally in the light. shimmy you chizzle into the groove you made at an angle that you wil no come in contact with the lens overlay and an angle that you will not crack the housing ...once you get in the seam with all the rubber compound in it push it forw3ard as if you are chizzling out the light ...do not try to pry at the light because that will crack the housing. so push the chizzle forward with some force but be patient too

6. after some elbow grease you will be able to start pulling the lens away from the housing ...make sure you chizzle around the WHOLE light ..dont just do a section and then try to pull the lens off it will likely crack.

7.now the lens is off

8.the housing is held on by a few tabs ...3 or so but most probally have some of the rubber compound all around them so pull from the bottom housing first with not much force but enough to loosen it ...then work on the side tabs first and then the top tab will be last....be carefull all of these tabs are flimsy.

9. now i used a dremmel sander and sanded away at the housing ....im not sure what grit ..i believe 100 or so and then i used 320 grit to sand smooth ...now make sure your ready to sand for the next 3 hours or so ...well i atleast did because i notice every little imperfection ( thats why i pulled my lights apart again last night) with the 320 grit in a circular motion you are likley to get nice smooth results.

10. now i primered the housings with duplicolor sandable primer. i primered about 4 times ( leaving enough time for each coat to dry ) and sanded lightly between each coat to get rid of any imperfections in the primer.

11.thats the ending result of the fully painted housing.....i ended up final coating the housing with duplicolor black trim paint....it had a minor gloss in it which i in turn ended up night liking after seeing the lights on at night time...regardless..i placed about 3 coats of the paint ...i would suggest a flat primer black as a final coat to the housing because when light hits at night the primer has a more smooth look ...any gloss will result in showing EVERY LAST IMPERFECTION =)

12. now i assembled the lights again using the same rubber compound to seal the lights back up ...you should have more than enough in the lights housing given you didnt chizzle it all out and throw it away .

13.thats the ligths on my car.....i placed packing tape over the lens to make sure the newly placed lens will set in nice in deep back into the housing .
so if you notice in the pic the lights look hazy ...dont worry its only the packing tape used to set the lens in ( clamps would work too ) an easy method of seling them back up too would be to heat up the compound and then set the lens in i didnt need too because i did this in like 100 degree weather.

** the next few pics ae of my tails i sealed with tinting film and the side markers i blacked out as well as the hood scoop i sanded and painted ....

sorry for all the typos and hope this helps you guys modd your own minis out....fyi the modd was SUPER EASY and opening up each light was about 5 minutes each ...sanding is what took forever.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:24 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you did NOT have to bake the headlights? Yo just Dremeled a notch and started prying? Also, how much different would this process be if one had Xenon projectors fitted instead of halogens? I've been wanting to do a headlamp MOD for a while now (not painting - something else) but the high cost of the lamps has scared me off do far...

Old 08-07-2007, 08:25 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
arghhh....

chizzile...try chisel

Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Very nice Eddie !

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:32 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
So you did NOT have to bake the headlights? Yo just Dremeled a notch and started prying? Also, how much different would this process be if one had Xenon projectors fitted instead of halogens? I've been wanting to do a headlamp MOD for a while now (not painting - something else) but the high cost of the lamps has scared me off do far...

nope no baking what so ever i just made the notched and pushed the chizzle though ...dont pry though you will crack the housing and /or the lens. but yeah this is def. not a hard mod common sense will get you through most of the gutting process and id imagine fitting xenons in the assembly would be a harder project but not much harder you would need a dremel precision bit to cut off the normal halogen headlight section and get your retrofitted xenon and probally use jb weld or some sort of strong adhesive compound to mount the lights in there ...the mounting of the projector is what you would need to figure out i guess there would be a few ways to do it ......

Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gnatster
arghhh....

chizzile...try chisel
argghhhh..... dont be a spelling **** especially when i did a write up for no reason other then to help others out .

Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the mounting of the projector is what you would need to figure out i guess there would be a few ways to do it ......
Yeah, there's the rub... I know that the xenons are self-levelling and I'm not precisely sure how that is mechanically accomplished - I'm worried about yanking them out, prying them open and then hosing the levelling mechanisim... Plus, all the "DANGER - INSTANT DEATH IF TOUCHED!!" warning labels all over the lamps has me a bit concerned...

Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
yeah i would be nervous to do a xenon retro fit too ...i read once a thread of someone that did a retro fit ...im sure theres more info out there

Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
argghhhh..... dont be a spelling **** especially when i did a write up for no reason other then to help others out .
Thanks for calling me a ****. I'm sure the side of my family that was exterminated in Germany for the crime of being Jewish is smiling upon you.

I was only trying to help some with only one spelling issue that could be fixed to help claify the instuctions you generously provided. If I was really trying to be as you state "A ****" about it I would have complained about how the entire bit is written in lower case. it's palinly obvious your ego will not allow for such a sublte correction as you cannot even stand to leave credit with the person that orginated the mod since yuo have now named it as your mod.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
Thanks for calling me a ****. I'm sure the side of my family that was exterminated in Germany for the crime of being Jewish is smiling upon you.

I was only trying to help some with only one spelling issue that could be fixed to help claify the instuctions you generously provided. If I was really trying to be as you state "A ****" about it I would have complained about how the entire bit is written in lower case. it's palinly obvious your ego will not allow for such a sublte correction as you cannot even stand to leave credit with the person that orginated the mod since yuo have now named it as your mod.

hahah ok im POSITIVE he didnt originate the modd and second plus i dont know him nor will i ever so why should i care to give him respect for doing the same mod i did without his help in any way ...i could care less if you like my write up or not ...i wrote it for those who are interested in it and appreciate i took the time to write about it ..so if you want to be annoying about it then carry on and dont read it ...and btw dont comment on my ego since your the one that feels the need to be the NAM grammer police officer man ( hope that was more suitable for you ) ..

Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
arghhh....

chizzile...try chisel
wow get over it spell check!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 AM
nixjosh2
4th Gear

"painfully", "subtle" and "you" are misspelled.....sorry i couldn't help myself

Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear

Second to last line i think you ment you, not "yuo"

Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 AM
wikedgolf
6th Gear
yay! another joey mod thread!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior EDDIE mod