How To DIY HPFP Replacement - How to replace High Pressure Fuel Pump on MINI Cooper R56 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 08:23 AM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks in Advance

Just wanted to say that this post has been EXTREMELY helpful in my (painful) research on this issue.
I recently experienced the "death rattle" related to the HPFP, called MiniUSA and was told my VIN wasn't covered under the extended warranty on this part. So I ordered my part through http://www.minimania.com (excellent service experience btw) and will be replacing it MYSELF due to the encouraging detailed how-to info from the OP. Thanks to everyone else too for helping to "polish" this procedure and offer input that makes it SO much easier for us rookies to join the DIY club. I will post back after completion if I have anything to add, but I wanted to say thanks in advance.
Cheers!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:47 AM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
Fuel Line removal

I have a question regarding the removal of the fuel line. I'm sure t his has been covered, but is the line pressurized? I remember reading somewhere in the forums that there was a way to depressurize the lines without emptying the fuel tank itself. Also, Is it necessary to bleed the lines (somehow) after installation? does air get trapped in th elines after removing/reinstalling them? Again, these are probably redundant questions but if someone could fill me in that would be great.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:33 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Might take a couple times to clear codes. Some of the OBCII Actron units are slow and take a couple times when I used them. They like to not communicate on the first try.

13517588879 is that part above. If you don't see , missed the hypertext link above.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/13517588879/

Thanks
1100 for the fuel pump now?!? What happened to cause it to skyrocket almost a grand in price?
OP, thanks for the right up. I'm dropping my car off at Mini/BMW San Antonio tomorrow evening so they can hopefully test it Monday morning on a cold start. I know its the HPFP but this Stealership has been especially bad about trying to add on fixes that don't need to be done. When I took it for the auxiliary water pump recall, they refused to do it because I wouldn't ok new hoses. I told them that if they break a hose while doing the recall that isn't my problem. After I complained to Mini North America corporate, they lied and said they didn't have the part to do it. They did the recall when I dropped it off the second time, and those "worn" hoses are still going, 35k miles later.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:36 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EliasBruce Minaise
Just wanted to say that this post has been EXTREMELY helpful in my (painful) research on this issue.
I recently experienced the "death rattle" related to the HPFP, called MiniUSA and was told my VIN wasn't covered under the extended warranty on this part. So I ordered my part through http://www.minimania.com (excellent service experience btw) and will be replacing it MYSELF due to the encouraging detailed how-to info from the OP. Thanks to everyone else too for helping to "polish" this procedure and offer input that makes it SO much easier for us rookies to join the DIY club. I will post back after completion if I have anything to add, but I wanted to say thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Did you ever do this? The price for the HPFP from that site is 1100 for my 2007 Mini. I'm looking into it, in case the stealership refuses to do it. About to do the walnut shell blasting so will have car apart anyway.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:40 PM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
I did it! Ended up purchasing the pump from mini mania for around $300 and doing the install myself. Took me bout 10 minutes to remove the hoses and air box and get everything out of the way, 5 mins to remove the old pump and install the new one, 10mins t9 put everything back together, and voila! 25 minutes later and running good as new. I definitely recommend reading the DIY in this forum and doing it yourself.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:59 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
I did it! Ended up purchasing the pump from mini mania for around $300 and doing the install myself. Took me bout 10 minutes to remove the hoses and air box and get everything out of the way, 5 mins to remove the old pump and install the new one, 10mins t9 put everything back together, and voila! 25 minutes later and running good as new. I definitely recommend reading the DIY in this forum and doing it yourself.
Cool! I guess the pump for the older generation are now really expensive. The part number for the 2007 is 13517588879 and ecstuning and the site you posted want 1100 for it.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:08 PM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
Wow, that's surprising. Check the forums on here, sometime there are guys that are parting out their minis....you might get lucky and find your part for a better price

Old 01-30-2016, 08:13 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Wow, that's surprising. Check the forums on here, sometime there are guys that are parting out their minis....you might get lucky and find your part for a better price
I already did, around 260. I'm going to give the dealership one chance to diagnose it before I do it myself and then try and get my money back from Mini N.A.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:15 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME6...3-2012-R55-r61
Looks like yours is a lot more expensive now too. Wonder what is going on.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:15 PM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
Sounds like a good plan. If you look in here for that part, be aware that it may have come from the same year vehicle so be sure to confirm how many miles are already on it so you don't end up having to re-address this same issue in the near future

Old 01-30-2016, 08:24 PM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
That price change is very confusing. I just checked my order confirmation for that exactsale part that I ordered in December and installed, I was charged $289 plus shipping and paid a total of $325 to rush the delivery. Now it is almost 4 times the price?? If you end up contacting MiniMania please post any info you get about this price change - very curious

Old 01-30-2016, 08:26 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
That price change is very confusing. I just checked my order confirmation for that exactsale part that I ordered in December and installed, I was charged $289 plus shipping and paid a total of $325 to rush the delivery. Now it is almost 4 times the price?? If you end up contacting MiniMania please post any info you get about this price change - very curious
I quoted ECS Tuning about their price jump. They are really good about replying to their quoted posts on here. I will be interested to see what they say.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:32 PM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
Oops - got ahead of myself there. Curious what ECS says too

Old 02-01-2016, 05:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4
1100 for the fuel pump now?!? What happened to cause it to skyrocket almost a grand in price?
OP, thanks for the right up. I'm dropping my car off at Mini/BMW San Antonio tomorrow evening so they can hopefully test it Monday morning on a cold start. I know its the HPFP but this Stealership has been especially bad about trying to add on fixes that don't need to be done. When I took it for the auxiliary water pump recall, they refused to do it because I wouldn't ok new hoses. I told them that if they break a hose while doing the recall that isn't my problem. After I complained to Mini North America corporate, they lied and said they didn't have the part to do it. They did the recall when I dropped it off the second time, and those "worn" hoses are still going, 35k miles later.
Hello,

We already talked about it here.

It was across the board on all three pumps for the N14, N18 early, and N18 late version . Started beginning of last month. Price increase across the board from MINI.

"Looks like a major price increase from MINI, these were high in price, then they dropped down in price, then shot way up. This is over the course of the last two years. We currently don't have any aftermarket solution"

EDIT** We now have lower cost solutions that are direct from the OEM suppliers: OES MINI, Genuine PSA, Bosch:

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_...el_Pump_22527/

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ese-codes.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 08-15-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:47 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
BMW raised prices across the board on parts last month. Specific to the HPFP, there's no real way of telling why it quadrupled in price. Some people speculate it could be that they're trying to make money back from the recall or something unrelated such as supply and demand, etc. However, it is not uncommon for Genuine parts prices of all car manufactures to fluctuate, go up in price and then down in price over the years.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I zero confidence in Mini and would bet the farm that is still the same low quality part that has continue to fail over and over again? To bad the new Bosch redesigned part wasn't made to be backward compatible, that's what a reputable manufacture would do.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
BMW raised prices across the board on parts last month. Specific to the HPFP, there's no real way of telling why it quadrupled in price. Some people speculate it could be that they're trying to make money back from the recall or something unrelated such as supply and demand, etc. However, it is not uncommon for Genuine parts prices of all car manufactures to fluctuate, go up in price and then down in price over the years.
how about asking through BMW supply channels? You have a better shot of finding an answer.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:11 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
how about asking through BMW supply channels? You have a better shot of finding an answer.
Yes, I am sure you could ask. You may not get a straight forward answer though. However, I do know that BMW had many issues with the 335i and I believe MINI also. They went through several revisions of the pump. Prices may have been low due to the issue and now that they have it resolved they may have raised the retail price back up. It's very common for the price to drop on big problems then they do not have to pay the dealers.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
$1200 awesome
started mini up with p15df and p0087 and a couple of cyl misfire codes this morning.

drove about 500 miles yesterday, on the last leg i thought it seemed like engine was cutting out (not constantly just 2-3 times in in a few bursts), but was going 90+mph so i just wasnt sure if i was some road debris (was dark).

Old 02-15-2016, 07:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Most likely not road debris unless you had the traction control light pop up ( flash ) and the system was cutting engine power, get this on a gravel road with the DSC on the MINI. Sounds like the pump issues.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-15-2016, 11:02 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yea...at the time i didnt assume it was the hpfp, but waking up to those codes seems most likely the problem.
soo first dealership i called, played dumb, they said no extended warranty on mine (2011), they said to call corporate (seemed kind of an out of place thing to say unless theyve dealt with it before). new pump through them was $1400. I called mini usa they got me "registered" with mini, said before anything i would need to have it diagnosed at a dealership. Not to sure if i want to go through all of that just to have them tell me tough **** anyway.

Last edited by randeez; 02-15-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:50 AM
whiteoaks
1st Gear
Same HPFP issues

Originally Posted by upintheclub
My 2011 "Cooper S Clubman" just went into the shop yesterday and was told that it has a failed HPFP. I ran across this thread (since I was out here reading about the chop top R56) and promptly called Mini USA to check warranty status on my HPFP. They said, based on my VIN, it wasn't covered, but they're going to be contacting the dealership, and "working with their team" to see what they can do about the cost. I needed a VANOS and HPFP replaced and I was quoted $801.

We'll see if that changes...crosses fingers.

I know you post is over a year old but was wondering if you ever got some kind of break on the cost to replace the HPFP in you Mini. We just shelled out about $1200 to have the same work done on my wife's 2010 MCS Clubman. Car was manufactured in Sept. of 2009, N14 motor type, but MINI Customer Service person said the Vin # indicates that the vehicle does not fall under the HPFP extended warranty. He was firm that Mini would/could not do anything on a warranty. I asked if they would talk to the dealership but the Rep pretty much said there is not much that Mini can do once the repairs have been performed and paid for even though it was just yesterday that I paid for and picked up the vehicle. I told him we did not have any choice about getting the repairs done immediately as my wife needed her vehicle to commute back and forth to work.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:56 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by whiteoaks
I know you post is over a year old but was wondering if you ever got some kind of break on the cost to replace the HPFP in you Mini. We just shelled out about $1200 to have the same work done on my wife's 2010 MCS Clubman. Car was manufactured in Sept. of 2009, N14 motor type, but MINI Customer Service person said the Vin # indicates that the vehicle does not fall under the HPFP extended warranty. He was firm that Mini would/could not do anything on a warranty. I asked if they would talk to the dealership but the Rep pretty much said there is not much that Mini can do once the repairs have been performed and paid for even though it was just yesterday that I paid for and picked up the vehicle. I told him we did not have any choice about getting the repairs done immediately as my wife needed her vehicle to commute back and forth to work.
The extended warranty states, "high-pressure fuel pumps in select 2007,2008, and 2009 model year MINI vehicles equipped with the N14 turbocharged engines." You can view it HERE. You can call the MINI USA number on there and see what they say. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2016, 02:45 PM
whiteoaks
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
The extended warranty states, "high-pressure fuel pumps in select 2007,2008, and 2009 model year MINI vehicles equipped with the N14 turbocharged engines." You can view it HERE. You can call the MINI USA number on there and see what they say. Good luck!

Thanks for your response. Been down that road of calling the 1-866-275-6464 number today and that is when I was told by the Rep. Andrew that even thought our MC was manufactured in 2009 it is not on the list for approved extended warranty. He asked me for the last 7 characters of the Vin and NO is what he came back with. Do you know if there is a internet site that list the vehicle's by the last 7 characters of the Vin that are approved for the extended warranty or are they keeping those number top secret? The key word on in that 2007 - 2009 is "select" as I am coming to understand.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:55 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by whiteoaks
Thanks for your response. Been down that road of calling the 1-866-275-6464 number today and that is when I was told by the Rep. Andrew that even thought our MC was manufactured in 2009 it is not on the list for approved extended warranty. He asked me for the last 7 characters of the Vin and NO is what he came back with. Do you know if there is a internet site that list the vehicle's by the last 7 characters of the Vin that are approved for the extended warranty or are they keeping those number top secret? The key word on in that 2007 - 2009 is "select" as I am coming to understand.
Yes, select is the keyword on that unfortunately, but sometimes dealers will good will things. It all depends on who you deal with and the situation. We would sometimes good will or give a hefty discount for customers at the dealer I worked at depending on the situation and the item that needed to be replaced. I do know that you can plug in your vin into a site like this one here to see if your car has any active recalls, but I do not believe you're able to look up the vin numbers specifically that qualify for an extended warranty or recall as that is through their dealer database.

Quick Reply: How To DIY HPFP Replacement - How to replace High Pressure Fuel Pump on MINI Cooper R56 JCW