How To Interior: Gas pedal removal (accelerator pedal)

Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Interior: Gas pedal removal (accelerator pedal)

Oh hi there. I know it's not a big how-to or anything really hard to do, but I had to remove the gas pedal and couldn't really find proper infos on it. Not sure if I was too tired and couldn't find it in my Bentley manual, but anyway. Reason I had to remove the pedal is that the (insert swearing here) sunroof drain on the passenger side decided to pop out and as it's been raining all day, I had a lake on the passenger side and had to remove the carpet to get everything dry. Don't mind the dirty floor, I took the car out of storage not even a month ago and haven't spent much time in it due to the weather.

Here's the pedal in its natural habitat, chilling and not knowing what's coming.

First step is to remove the upper rubber part on the steering column, then split white plastic thingy in half. The plastic is sandwiched on the column, one part can move up toward the steering, the other down toward the joint. I had to push the rubber down and then pull it over the plastic to remove it.

Then you can pull the lower rubber seal and twist it our of the way. (Moving the rubbers may not be required, but that's how I've done it to have a bit more space.)

On the left side of the pedal assembly, you can see a small gap where the tab is. You need to press it down and pull the pedal to the left.

Pedal is now out, you can now proceed to press the two tabs on the connector and remove it.

From there, if you need to remove the bracket, you'll need a 13mm socket for the upper bolt and a small screwdriver to pry the tabs at the bottom.

Last edited by Da_Ghost; 01-14-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 AM
tom-nola
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"....screwdriver to pry the tabs at the bottom"

When you are trying to do this at the bottom of the floor, it can be a royal pita if you don't know exactly where the "tabs" are. Got so frustrated I broke the bracket off to get it off.

Attached are some pictures to show what you need to do.

Basically, there is a metal vertical piece welded to the floor, the bottom of the gas pedal adapter plate has a channel that slips over the vertical bracket. There are two tabs accessible by the slots from above. Insert a screwdriver vertically from the top and bring the top of the screw driver towards the rear of the car so the barb goes forward to the front of the car. Lift up as you are doing so, then do the other side.

By the way, you do not have to mess with the rubber steering wheel piece, you can lift the tab then slide the bottom towards the left (pivot) and the gas pedal should come loose.

(Had to take this off to remove the carpet since it got wet... The mini has a 2-3 inch sponge attached to the bottom of the carpet that I literally had to squeeze in order to get the water out. After first wet vac'ing then placing a dehumidifer in the car for 4 days, I decided to try to lift the carpet to see what was going on. I squeezed then vac'ed another 2 GALLONS from the carpet/sponge. The wire bundles are all routed in the channel next to the door and were completely submerged in water. The sunroof drains were completely blocked up which created the flooding. Also ruined my headliner... grrr....)

Interior: Gas pedal removal (accelerator pedal)-img_0072.jpg

Interior: Gas pedal removal (accelerator pedal)-img_0073.jpg

Interior: Gas pedal removal (accelerator pedal)-img_0074.jpg

Interior: Gas pedal removal (accelerator pedal)-img_0075.jpg

Interior: Gas pedal removal (accelerator pedal)-img_0076.jpg

Old 01-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
About the rubber seal, it's mainly beause I originally thought that the pedal would slide into it when trying to remove it.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:51 PM
tom-nola
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem. Your post was very informative and much appreciated. It seems the engineers at BMW/Mini go out of their way to make each part assembly as a riddle to solve.

We'll see how easy it goes on. Just may have to take the rubber boot off... Have to wait for a new bracket though

Thanks again