How To JCW Intake on R60

Old 02-05-2014, 02:48 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JCW Intake on R60

I just installed the JCW intake on my CMS. Its a JCW intake that is meant for a Cooper S '07-'10 N14. I purchased it from WMW. In order to make the JCW intake work with the R60, you need the lower half of '07-'10 n14 intake. I found one at a salvage yard. They gave it to me for free because the top lid was broken. The lower half will mount up perfectly with the R60.

The JCW upper half took a little modifying to make work. Here's what I did:

1. I had to dremel some plastic material off the JCW portion where the MAF sensor insert tube connects. That section ended up interfering with the fuel pump. This section is also removed on the R60 upper intake box as well.

2. I also had to dremel the JCW portion where the MAF sensor flange connects. This section is also removed on the R60 upper intake box as well.

3. The bottom portion (I think its called the resonator) of the JCW had to be removed. That was also interfering with the fuel pump. There are four screws that are to be removed to take the resonator off. Right now it's drawing a little bit of air from the engine compartment. I will either make up a plate where that was in order to close the intake off or cut a portion of the resonator out and glue it back together to give it more room.

4. Swap the old clips (they hold the tubes/wires in place) to the JCW lid and bottom half. One of the clips on the side needed to be drilled and then fastened with a screw because there wasn't plastics to clip to.

Another had to be cut in half with a dremel in order to clip onto the JCW lid.

Installed:

Old 02-06-2014, 02:08 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another hour of modding the JCW box

I ended up cutting a section out of the resonator. You don't see it at all because its underneath. I may or may not close it off. I don't believe the intake will suck to much air from this small hole.

Also, I cut the rubber edging from the existing panel filter and laid it into the perimeter of the air box. It keeps the box from rattling around. Apparently Mini sells this ring but is prohibitively too expensive to buy.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:22 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Nice install. I like how you took our trick of cutting the stock filter for the gasket as that original JCW is crazy expensive at being over $30.

Also you can just use some RTV and part of a laundry detergent bottle to make a flat cover on the bottom where you unbolt the res off the airbox. That is how we did the last one.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more