How To Electrical ::Driving lights installation

Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by automan21
Well the 1st on the left is for the driving lights I'm installing now. The 2nd will be for the rear high beams I'm thinking of mounting on the rear parcel shelf behind the rear headrests(James Bond like) for tailgaters and other obnoxious people. The 3rd will be for rear fogs if the dealer cant activate the oem ones. The brackets I used were from VIP. They fot great and no modifying had to be done to them. It was a bit of a pain to modify the grill to accept the brackets. I will post pics when done, maybe by this weekend.
The rear parcel shelf mount would add a lot of reflected light into the cabin interior. If you could put 2 clear fogs or driving lamps into the rear black mesh grill that would accomplish what you are trying to do. Try something like these:
http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...5-series/ff75/

S.

Last edited by SMOG; 10-06-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wanted it to be a little stealthy that's why I wanted it on the shelf but if it's gonna glare then I gotta find another place. I don't want em in the bumper though.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Those Hellas might be what I need though, thanks.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
If the rear shelf mount has tubes fit tight to the rear window and to the lamps that keep the light from escaping into the car it would work. If you put the lamps as close as possible to the rear window then the tubes could be short and offer a wider light dispersion pattern.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Well heres the outcome. I dont have any night shots but will soon. I plan on putting light tint 3m stone guards on the headlights to match the driving lights.
Name:  lights.jpg
Views: 2879
Size:  70.0 KB

Old 10-08-2011, 05:57 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Looks very nice! The finished product should look similar to my Pepperwhite with blackout headlamps.

http://www.mini4fun.info/Quad_Lamps/Hella_500s.html

S.

Well heres the outcome. I dont have any night shots but will soon. I plan on putting light tint 3m stone guards on the headlights to match the driving lights.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:32 PM
d@g
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks to the OP for posting these instructions. I can't believe MINI has OEM accessories that can be installed without requiring a dealer vi$it for recoding! Looks a little daunting but not impossible. Think I'll do the front/rear speaker swap as long as I'm opening up that driver side kick panel as well.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is there a way to allow the driver lights to be on with the...... lets say the parking lights? I want to aim them down and out with Laminex yellow to light the sides of the road to see critters, no chance of blinding drivers there.Might even run lower watt bulbs. Please,please no lectures.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
On most aftermarket driving lights the on/off relay gets its trigger voltage from the headlight high beam. If you want the driving lights on with only the parking lights, then you just use the power to the parking lights to trigger your on/off relay. I'm not sure how the oem driving lights are wired but I assume there's a relay in the circuit somewhere. Find that relay and hook it up to the parking lights. If the parking lights are on and you turn on your oem driving light switch, the driving lights should come on.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
The OEM wiring is different than the normal setup

Originally Posted by ammodave
On most aftermarket driving lights the on/off relay gets its trigger voltage from the headlight high beam. If you want the driving lights on with only the parking lights, then you just use the power to the parking lights to trigger your on/off relay. I'm not sure how the oem driving lights are wired but I assume there's a relay in the circuit somewhere. Find that relay and hook it up to the parking lights. If the parking lights are on and you turn on your oem driving light switch, the driving lights should come on.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
The oem wiring diagram includes something called a "control module" which looks suspiciously like a an ordinary lighting relay. I don't think Mini has reinvented the wheel here so I suspect that module has a terminal that's receiving a signal from the high beams that closes the relay and allows the switch on the dash to turn on the driving lights. If you want the lights to work with just the parking lights you need to find the module (I believe it's in the driver's footwell) and provide power to the appropriate terminal so the relay will activate when the parking lights or on. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
is there a online supply for the oem wiring diagram ?

Is there someplace online for the oem driving lights wiring diagram ? Does the Bentley show the driving lights diagram? (need to get one)

The oem wiring diagram includes something called a "control module" which looks suspiciously like a an ordinary lighting relay. I don't think Mini has reinvented the wheel here so I suspect that module has a terminal that's receiving a signal from the high beams that closes the relay and allows the switch on the dash to turn on the driving lights. If you want the lights to work with just the parking lights you need to find the module (I believe it's in the driver's footwell) and provide power to the appropriate terminal so the relay will activate when the parking lights or on. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Post #1 of this thread contains a link to the instructions for installing oem driving lights including a wiring diagram.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
boy ,that was stupid of me

thanks! looks like A1 is the relay trigger.
but what I think is the relay is drawn different than what I've seen

Post #1 of this thread contains a link to the instructions for installing oem driving lights including a wiring diagram.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:10 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
I gotta a better idea,,, if I could run a resistor in the system to reduce the brightness of the driving lights to about one third( maybe using a resistor from one of those types of circuits that drop day time running lights brightness)

Heres what I want to achieve
Regular use of the driving lights with the OEM switch when the highbeams are on

When the driving lights switch is "on" and dropping down to low beams the driving lights go much dimmer, but only if I have the fogs switched "on"

Old 06-11-2012, 02:01 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a great DYI guide. Thanks!

Does anybody know if the switch and modified knee protection is required for USA/Canadian cars? I was reading the MINI Retrofit guide for the Gen2 driving lights (PDF) and it seems to suggest that it is not required for USA/Canadian cars?

On Page 5 it says:
"2. Preparatory Work
Knee protection, driver's side (US cars only, no longer required)"

On Page 7 it says:
"Legend
R Pushbutton (not for US Cars)"

If you look at OutMotoring, the kit WITH the switch and Carbon Black knee protection is $579... whereas without the switch it is only $411. I have emailed OutMotoring.

So I am wondering can you just cut the opening for the switch, or does the system automatically work with high-beams if the switch is not present?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:33 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
$170 for the knee bolster and the switch seems a little pricey. You can operate without a switch and your driving lights will be on anytime the high beams are on. I have aftermarket lights and I chose to install a Hella switch in the existing knee bolster.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...switch-003.jpg

Last edited by ammodave; 06-12-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$170 for the knee bolster and the switch seems a little pricey. You can operate without a switch and your driving lights will be on anytime the high beams are on. I have aftermarket lights and I chose to install a Hella switch in the existing knee bolster.
Thanks - the response from OutMotoring was just that I could maybe setup a relay or something for everything to work without the switch. hmmmm. Not a huge rush just yet as I mostly do city driving right now... but I am hoping someone with the OE driving lights will chime in that they don't have the switch installed.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a BTW but there is a grommet near the battery on the 2nd gen that looks just like it, is waaaay easier to access than the left side and doesnt require risking breaking the windshield by pulling a wiper arm. Just figured Id mention, I brought my control signal for the intercooler fans into the cabin this way.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
lsirois
1st Gear
Thank you Jackyiscxd for the excellent write-up! I could not have installed my own lights without your help!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:28 PM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
does anyone know if the brackets have been revised or still requires some modification to work on 2011/12's ?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 AM
MikeZZMini
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 2010 R56 MCS
Installed the driving lights per the Mini Installation Instructions
They don't work! The green light on the pushbutton works...
Confirm: Is X14260 in the footwell module to the left of the brake pedal the one on the bottom?
I saw the post above for 2010 & 2011 to connect A1 to the Yellow/Red (pin 41) The Yellow/Red is much larger than the other wires? Is this the correct wire??

MikeZ

I had some wires reversed at the lights. My mistake.......... Other than that the installation went smoothly.
MikeZ

Last edited by MikeZZMini; 03-19-2014 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-18-2014, 05:37 PM
miniforozzie
2nd Gear
I'm glad I found this thread. I received my driving light kit today and we are going to attempt to install these lights on my '13 MCS this weekend. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Chrisjav
Neutral
Switch panel

Great write up. I made my own switch panel. Maybe one for rear high beams (for tailgaters) and if I cant get the dealer to activate my rear fogs I will wire them to this panel. Im almost done with the driving lights install, didnt have to remove anything just used a hanger to snake wires through.
Did you buy this the way it is or did you make it yourself? If so, can you share the breakdown of where you got your parts.... Thanks!

Old 11-26-2014, 10:56 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Made this piece myself. Used the stock piece but if you wanted to you can Look for the part number on realoem.com and buy the switches on eBay. Drill the holes and put the switches in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Electrical ::Driving lights installation