How To Electrical: First Generation Key Refurbishment

Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Here's a valuable link with lots of information about these keys:

https://sites.google.com/site/minian...emotekeys/home

It is more complete and more accurate than some of the information I have posted above. I'll go back and do some editing and make some comments on this later but I wanted to get this linked from here so people have a chance to read it.

Val

Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 PM
ROC
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flip Key Fob

key fob from ebay

Attached Thumbnails Electrical: First Generation Key Refurbishment-photo-8-.jpg   Electrical: First Generation Key Refurbishment-photo.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013, 07:35 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ROC
key fob from ebay
Tell us more- in your second picture it looks like the blade is cut and it doesn't look especially new- my polite way of saying I can kind of see a dirty edge there, but the picture is kind of out of focus. I can also see that your old fob does not have the blade anymore- these two things lead me to believe that the old blade can be transplanted to the flip style key- is this correct?

Can you take a better picture of the key open and or how the blade attaches to the swing out mechanism? Or did you have to get the blank blade cut, and where did you get it cut and about how much did it cost?

Don't forget to transfer over the transponder chip!

Val

Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 AM
ROC
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by valvashon
Tell us more- in your second picture it looks like the blade is cut and it doesn't look especially new- my polite way of saying I can kind of see a dirty edge there, but the picture is kind of out of focus. I can also see that your old fob does not have the blade anymore- these two things lead me to believe that the old blade can be transplanted to the flip style key- is this correct?

Can you take a better picture of the key open and or how the blade attaches to the swing out mechanism? Or did you have to get the blank blade cut, and where did you get it cut and about how much did it cost?

Don't forget to transfer over the transponder chip!

Val
Yes I took the blank out & put my old key in place! I had to drill a hole in the flip portion of the new key fob! Also did some trimming of the old key base with a dremmel to make it fit!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Levo90
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' cooper key shell replacement

Hi guys,

Quick question about changing over the blade to the new shell.
does the pin have a head on one side or are they the same on both ends??
Or if it has a head is it OK if the pin is then inserted on the opposite side of which you pulled it out from the original key?
(ie. it is punched into the underside of key instead of the top which is covered in plastic).
It was eluded to, but wasn't quite explained in original post, and was just wondering.

Cheers, Nathan

Old 04-28-2013, 03:58 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Levo90
Hi guys,

Quick question about changing over the blade to the new shell.
does the pin have a head on one side or are they the same on both ends??
Or if it has a head is it OK if the pin is then inserted on the opposite side of which you pulled it out from the original key?
(ie. it is punched into the underside of key instead of the top which is covered in plastic).
It was eluded to, but wasn't quite explained in original post, and was just wondering.

Cheers, Nathan
Here's a picture of an aftermarket blade and an OEM pin:

Name:  DSCF9282.jpg
Views: 6125
Size:  40.8 KB

As you can see, the pin is the same both sides. It is punched into the inside of the key to hide it. You might get lucky and drill it out with a very tiny bit and save it but most shells I have run across are so trashed I just cut the plastic away to get the key and pin out.

Some replacement shells have a larger hole above where the blade goes in and a smaller hole below- this appears to be a manufacturing error. In this case the pin will not go all the way down and the "lower" hole must be carefully drilled out to allow the pin to go in. One must be careful not to drill through the case; if you do you risk the chance of the pin falling out and the blade falling off. If you are going to do a DIY job, I recommend the cases that "artiway" sells on eBay as they are very high quality.

Val

Old 05-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Levo90
Neutral
Thanks heaps Val. you cleared up everything, very helpful.
ill let you know how i fair doing DIY, Cheers

Nathan

Old 10-09-2013, 02:27 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Just got these in and gave my key the switchblade treatment:
Name:  DSCF9988.jpg
Views: 6173
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  DSCF9991.jpg
Views: 6087
Size:  45.0 KB
These are pretty nice shells. Heavy, sturdy and nicely finished. I'll let everybody know how it holds up after a few months

Name:  DSCF9986.jpg
Views: 6140
Size:  47.8 KB
My local locksmith was able to cut it after I took the blade out. It's got a number of small parts inside that make it kind of complicated to put back together, but looks to be pretty well made.

I have these as well as the clamshell type shells in stock along with the button switches and batteries. PM me if you need some key repair work done.

"Dr. Bruce"
MINI Key Hospital

Old 10-12-2013, 01:51 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
This may also be helpful to some of you. I recently had an inquiry about repairing a key from a 2008 MINI. I can't repair those so I suggested the dealer. Instead, they called the BMW/MINI key hotline at 888-575-5397 and got it sent to their nearest dealer. It saved them a trip and others have also noted that it got the key to them quicker as well, and was cheaper than ordering it directly from the dealer. You still need to provide proof of ownership when you pick your key up. I believe you can still order a key for any year of new MINI. This website says the number is only for California residents but if you need a key and aren't in California I'd give it a try.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...placement.aspx

If anybody knows if the laws regarding car keys are different in California I'd be interested in hearing about it and why.

Bruce

Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Kongfish
2nd Gear
Key replacement

Did I read it right, you do key work? I have a 2002 Mini Cooper S with the key that is more pear shaped,
What the scope ?
Thanks,
Gary

Old 10-26-2013, 03:48 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Gary-

Sent you PM.
(OK- I didn't)

E-mail me at minikeyhospital at outlook dot com. I can fix your key here at the MINI Key Hospital and my prices are reasonable. I can use a new shell to do the repair (if that's what you got) but a used eBay key does me no good as I have only ever gotten the roll pin out without destroying the key once. Besides, a new shell is shiny and you get to choose between Clamshell and Switchblade. Who doesn't like shiny choices? Some good pictures of your key will help me estimate what the repairs will be.

Dr. Bruce

Last edited by valvashon; 10-21-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Can't PM the recipent plus updated e-mail address
Old 10-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... and you get to choose between Clamshell and Switchblade. ...
Any pictures of a switchblade Mini key? Mine are still working (2003MCS) but the switchblade seems intriguing.

///Rich

Old 10-27-2013, 09:55 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Any pictures of a switchblade Mini key? Mine are still working (2003MCS) but the switchblade seems intriguing.

///Rich
I posted pictures of my key in #33 above and ROC posted pictures of his switchblade key in #27 above.

Dr. Bruce

Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I posted pictures of my key in #33 above and ROC posted pictures of his switchblade key in #27 above.
Dr. Bruce
So then the question is how much to convert one of mine to a switchblade? Does a new blade have to be cut as well or is the blade “converted”?

///Rich

Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
They are held together by three screws and there's a somewhat complicated spring mechanism inside that provides the switchblade action. One poster above was able to move his clamshell blade into the metal blade holding piece in the switchblade key but I looked at doing that and felt that it would be too complicated and possibly not reliable enough to do for others- I was afraid of having the blade become disconnected from the metal piece.

I found a locksmith here that will do the cut for $38 from your existing key. The one that was cut for me looks and works great, so $38 to me seems to me to be a reasonable price to pay to cut the new blade. Plus, you get your old key back and can use that in an emergency to at least unlock the doors of your car.

Since the mechanism is complicated and the blade part has to be out of the key to do the cut I intend to have my local locksmith cut the blade and then return a completed key, if somebody wants me to make a switchblade key out of their clamshell key.

Dr. Bruce
MINI Key Hospital

Edit- forgot prices. $15 for the switchblade shell, $15 for labor to swap components, $5 for a new battery (very highly recommended), $5 Priority Mail Shipping. Also, $38 to have the locksmith cut the blade. I charge what he charges and make no profit on this part. Total price would be $78 if nothing else is wrong with your key.

Last edited by valvashon; 10-28-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added information
Old 11-11-2013, 05:34 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Carbon fiber shells, too!

Just got two of these in the other day:

Name:  DSCF0049-1.jpg
Views: 6128
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  DSCF0052.jpg
Views: 6071
Size:  49.4 KB

What your are looking at is a carbon fiber look sticky wrap put on a new clamshell case, not a case made out of actual carbon fiber. They are pretty well done, however, and after following the instructions about using a hair dryer to really set the sticky back into place the pieces seem to be holding well. The wrap seems to be a bit softer than the relatively hard plastic of the shell itself, so I can make no long term guarantees about the durability of the wrap. All I can tell you is it still looks pretty good the day after I affixed it.

These are a bit more expensive than the regular clamshells- $35 plus labor and whatever else your key needs.

Dr. Bruce

Old 12-06-2013, 05:55 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a way I can reinitialize the remote on my '02? One of my buttons fell apart and eventually the other stopped working. I switched to the spare key but now I want to fix it. I put a new battery in and the LED comes on when I press the (still working) lock button but it doesn't lock the car. Once I solder the new unlock switch on, how can I reinitialize the key and car?

Old 12-07-2013, 04:48 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Here's a link to a site with lots of great information about these first generation keys- this link is to the specific page about pairing the early remotes, written by NAM member 04_Indi_Mini_S:

https://sites.google.com/site/minian...ing-the-remote

Here's the link to the site's main page:

https://sites.google.com/site/minian...moving-forward

Here's the thread that spawned the above Google site:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html

Do you have switches for soldering or a new shell? If you've read this thread I'm guessing you know I offer those services, but I can't reprogram your key- only a dealer can for sure, and often, but not always, the above instructions on the Google site work. Good luck with it and let me know if I can be of any help.

Dr. Bruce

Old 12-07-2013, 07:41 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Thanks. I do have the replacement switches and new body. I have a couple buddies at work who do micro soldering to help me out there. Once I get it soldered on, I'll have to give it a try. I'm just trying to renew the sync to my old key, not program a new one so it sounds like it might work.

Last edited by kapps; 12-07-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:03 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Well I got the new switch soldered on. The new case had some flashing that needed removed and I also had to drill the pin hole a little deeper (.099 drill) and shave some material off the back side of the unlock portion of the case. It was depressing the button as soon as I closed the case. Now, with the case closed, I can press both buttons and hear them click. Unfortunately, the instructions for re-syncing the remote did not work. I have a Bentley manual from '02 and it does not show those instructions and says the dealer must program keys. It doesn't say anything about battery replacement either...

Last edited by kapps; 12-18-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:44 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Can you use a 05-06 key on any year MINI? I'm looking at getting an 03 MINI, and one of the keys doesn't work

Old 02-06-2014, 05:20 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
I'm pretty sure you can't. The blade will work or can be cut to do so, but the remote part of the key will not work with the remote receiver and the EWS/immobilizer chip part of things is different as well. Getting an aftermarket key to work is difficult at best involving coding with your computer hooked to the car and teaching yourself the software. You can read more about this by following the link to the Google site I posted earlier. It was compiled by another NAM member.

Best place to get a second key is the dealer, and I think the early clamshell keys are cheaper than the flat, three button kind. A "General Key" without the remote functions is usually under $100; the remote ones are more expensive.

Depending on what's wrong with it I may be able to repair it as I have done about a dozen so far.

Bruce

Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 PM
user 58409
Banned
Hi all - I'm a complete noOb to Mini's. I just bought my first one yesterday (base 2006 MC). I have a ton of questions, but the one pertinent to this thread is that I only got the basic key with it a the one w/out the fob built in. So I'm wondering if keyless entry was an option for this model year or if it was a standard feature. If it's the later, then I want to see if I can get a replacement key w/fob. If not, then I guess I'll have to add an aftermarket keyless entry system.

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
The good news - It's definitely a standard feature.
The bad news - New keys from MINI are $200-300.
You might be able to get a fob and swap in the ECM chip, but you probably want two keys. The fobs can 'learn' from the car, but the ECM chip is VIN specific.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:32 PM
user 58409
Banned
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
The good news - It's definitely a standard feature.
The bad news - New keys from MINI are $200-300.
You might be able to get a fob and swap in the ECM chip, but you probably want two keys. The fobs can 'learn' from the car, but the ECM chip is VIN specific.
Awe bugger.

I don't want to jack this thread, but I have a follow up question. I assume that the secondary key I have has the chip. So I could buy a key with a fob and do a transplant and pair it, right? Or is that more trouble than it's worth?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Electrical: First Generation Key Refurbishment