How To Electrical :: How to make a replacement key fob for cheap

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:10 PM
TheBigD
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry no key code.

I tried the instructions you posted but was not successful. The Mini is a 2005 cooper. I purchased the replacement key from the dealer. They wanted $147.12 but my autobody shop got it for $30 less. I thought the code would come with the key. Dealer wants me to go back to code the key at a cost of $145 to code. This is crazy! Any other ideas to code this key?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 PM
jasohn
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coding the key

You should be able to code the key FOB to the car by:

Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the AC on position. Remove your key from the ignition, then hold the key close to the rear view mirror. Hold down the key's unlock button while pressing the lock button three times, then release both buttons.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:25 AM
MiniMeep
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you know if the eBay key has to match the Mhz and the FCC ID? eg if my existing key is 315mhz should I be purchasing a key with the same frequency or it doesn't really matter?

Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM
gsibert
Neutral
Originally Posted by Linda Baker
You could just buy a replacement key fob for cheap at Keyless-remotes.com. They ship very quick and they have just about every make/model available.
It dosnt appear they sell them for mini cooper as I dont see bmw or mini listed as a choice for their keys

Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 AM
domgiovanni
Neutral
I have read everything written on the Mini remote carefully and am about to try some of the ongoing ideas posted here.

The wife's silver wings fell off one of her 2005 Mini Convertible key remotes. She super-glued it back on and unfortunately glued down the button, too. The key works fine starting but as you would guess the lock/unlock/trunk functions don't. I was thinking - because that's all that I have to do these days - changing the case front from a new eBay case (with electronics to be safe) and reusing the same key. If she glued anything sensitive inside down I don't know, I haven't opened the case. I think this is worth a try for an eBay key blank at about $60. Does anyone have any other input to what I am considering? Should the old key and electronics work without reprogramming once opened and the face of the remote replaced only?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM
jasohn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMeep
Do you know if the eBay key has to match the Mhz and the FCC ID? eg if my existing key is 315mhz should I be purchasing a key with the same frequency or it doesn't really matter?
I really didn't look at the key frequency when I did this. I just figured that the key would work for the specific model year if it looked the same (which it did).

Did you get it to work?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM
jasohn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gsibert
It dosnt appear they sell them for mini cooper as I dont see bmw or mini listed as a choice for their keys
No one except the dealers sell them. That might have been someone's quickly-researched reply without going in-depth as to their answer.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
jasohn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by domgiovanni
I have read everything written on the Mini remote carefully and am about to try some of the ongoing ideas posted here.

The wife's silver wings fell off one of her 2005 Mini Convertible key remotes. She super-glued it back on and unfortunately glued down the button, too. The key works fine starting but as you would guess the lock/unlock/trunk functions don't. I was thinking - because that's all that I have to do these days - changing the case front from a new eBay case (with electronics to be safe) and reusing the same key. If she glued anything sensitive inside down I don't know, I haven't opened the case. I think this is worth a try for an eBay key blank at about $60. Does anyone have any other input to what I am considering? Should the old key and electronics work without reprogramming once opened and the face of the remote replaced only?
DomGiovanni,

That sounds like all you would have to do is get another key, open up both keys, and replace the glued-up cover with the new key's cover. Everything else (ic board, etc) should just fit in.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM
art2111
1st Gear
Will it work for 2004 R50 ?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
If I read this right, the OP saved $90 by making his own. Given the time it probably would have taken me to find the key on ebay then follow all the instructions to program, prize the key apart, put it back together, etc. I would be paying myself less than minimum wage. Not worth it to me.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 AM
art2111
1st Gear
You will also have satisfaction of making something by your own hands...

Old 10-30-2012, 12:17 PM
jasohn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jhull413
If I read this right, the OP saved $90 by making his own. Given the time it probably would have taken me to find the key on ebay then follow all the instructions to program, prize the key apart, put it back together, etc. I would be paying myself less than minimum wage. Not worth it to me.
Hey, I didn't say anything about time vs. expenses. Apparently it's not worth a multi-billionaire's time and effort to pick up hundred dollar bills off of the ground, but I betcha any one of them still would.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 PM
jasohn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by art2111
Will it work for 2004 R50 ?

I don't see why not. I'm assuming you have the older bulbous key? I've only tried this with the keys pictured.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 PM
art2111
1st Gear
Yes, it's an older key. Where did you learned the procedure? Would it be possible to find out more decisive answer? I would like avoid buying something I couldn't use.
Thanks.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 PM
jasohn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by art2111
Yes, it's an older key. Where did you learned the procedure? Would it be possible to find out more decisive answer? I would like avoid buying something I couldn't use.
Thanks.
Sorry, I actually figured this out independent of anyone else's help. There was absolutely NOTHING in forums other than "only the dealer can make a key".

When I purchased my 2006 R52 used, it came with the older key cut for the car, but it didn't have any buttons on it, so the cut will definitely work. I just can't tell you that the signal will be the same.

ZippyNH in this forum says they won't work:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-2003-r50.html

Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 PM
jhull413
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jasohn
Hey, I didn't say anything about time vs. expenses. Apparently it's not worth a multi-billionaire's time and effort to pick up hundred dollar bills off of the ground, but I betcha any one of them still would.
1. I was talking about my time, not yours or anybody elses. Obviously there are a lot of people interested in doing this even if I'm not.
2. I was referring to my inability to do things like this in a short time. You certainly would not have know this but I have an essential tremor that makes it difficult for me to do tedious things with my hands very quickly.
3. I am certainly not a "multi-billionaire." While I love my MINI, if I were, I probably would be driving something a lot more exotic and expensive.
4. I agree with you that "any one of them" probably would stoop down to pick up a hundred dollar bill. Given the two seconds that it takes to do that, it translates to $180,000 per hour or $374,400,000 annually. Certainly more than minimum wage.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
jasohn
1st Gear
Sorry, I think I came off a little coarse with my reply. Nice roadster, by the way.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
jhull413
4th Gear
Sorry, I think I came off a little coarse with my reply. Nice roadster, by the way.
Not a problem. I've done it too on occasion. Apology accepted. I also didn't mean to belittle the obvious hard work you did with the fob and your willingness to share with others. Thanks for the compliment on Rupert.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Bbmatt
Neutral
Any ideas on where to get used keys besides ebay? I just lost my keys and am down to one plus the plastic one.

It seems that they're going for 50-80 bucks on ebay now for the used keys...

Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The MINI key has an embedded transponder chip. You may be able to customize duplicates that can open & lock doors, but w/o the chip specific to your car, you can't turn it on. Working duplicates can only be bought from dealers. I've heard of chips being copied but don't know anyone who've actually tried.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 PM
MiniMeep
2nd Gear
Did you get it to work?
I finally pulled my finger out and made the key, I ended up getting an ebay key that was the same frequency as my current key.

Programming the key worked straight away however I had some issues getting it to start the car and after some trial and error it turned out that the sticky tape I was using to temporarily wrap the key in seemed to be blocking immobiliser chip signal, without the sticky tape holding the key the car started fine. Now that I'm happy it's working I can glue the key back together .

@jhull413
A replacement key with remote costs $800 from Mini in Australia, so for the $25 the replacement ebay key cost me, it was well worth my time and effort

Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMeep
@jhull413
A replacement key with remote costs $800 from Mini in Australia, so for the $25 the replacement ebay key cost me, it was well worth my time and effort
Holy cow! If a key with remote costs that much in Australia, how the heck much does a whole MINI cost?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM
jasohn
1st Gear
Yeah $800 sounds NUTS. Glad it saved you money.

FYI More than 2 1/2 years later, the 2 keys I made are still working.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 AM
jasohn
1st Gear
Has anyone else made keys using this method and have gone to a Mini dealership for service? They always have a puzzled look on their face when they try to read the car history when they put the made key in the key readers!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 PM
MiniMeep
2nd Gear
A Justa is approx $30,000, an MCS is around $40,000, a Justa Cabrio starts at $42,700 and a Cooper JCW is $50,000
Yes we pay a lot more for cars here, the goverment also bans private imports of cars that are currently sold here (it would be cheaper for me to buy one from overseas, especially secondhand, and pay all the associated import / compliance costs)

Last edited by MiniMeep; 11-28-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: How To Electrical :: How to make a replacement key fob for cheap