How To Steering :: Power Steering Pump removal instructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rwkeating
Do you have any more information on that? Does it even included the 2006 model?
From my research it is just the 02-05 models. The 06 model has not been investigated.

HOWEVER! It's not too hard to call any Mini dealership and give them your VIN and have them check for you.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitha6
There is now a recall out for the PS pump. Take it to the dealership and it will be replaced for free, no matter the year or miles.
There has been a recall for a long time on the PS' for cars built between 2002-Feb 2005, but to say "no matter the year" I'd like more information on this.

If it's just "some service agent" at a dealer telling you that, it's completely different than seeing the actual documentation.

Please tell us more

Old 04-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jamez
There has been a recall for a long time on the PS' for cars built between 2002-Feb 2005, but to say "no matter the year" I'd like more information on this.

If it's just "some service agent" at a dealer telling you that, it's completely different than seeing the actual documentation.

Please tell us more
No matter the year or miles in those covered by the Recall.

There has been a "Warranty extension" fora while, for. Less than150k or less than 13 years. However, now it is just a stright Recall.

When I issues with my first mini (R50) in January 2016 my mechanic told me to take it to a mini dealership because of the Warranty extension. At the dealership they determined I was outside the Warranty extension (i was right at 13 years and 165k). However, this is when the dealership told me to just wait, that an actual recall would be issued soon and all minis inside the frame specified would be replaced no matter the age of mileage.

Like I said above, it's simple to just call a local Mini Dealership and ask, or have them run your VIN.

I know it's real, and I know it's free, because I've had mine done. My R50 was totaled before I could go back in under the recall, but I had it done in my R53.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:30 PM
Mherboth
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Smith I'm just curious where you had the service done. I'm two hours from two dealerships and one of them has been giving me the runaround about "we have to order parts 4-6 weeks" for a while now. Your not the first person I know who has had this done so I'm wondering if I shouldn't try getting in contact with the other dealer considering I need to order a hub assembly anyway.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:33 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mherboth
Hey Smith I'm just curious where you had the service done. I'm two hours from two dealerships and one of them has been giving me the runaround about "we have to order parts 4-6 weeks" for a while now. Your not the first person I know who has had this done so I'm wondering if I shouldn't try getting in contact with the other dealer considering I need to order a hub assembly anyway.
I had mine done at my "local" dealership as well. About 45min away. Since they are in the early stages of the ACTUALL recall you could get the run around. They have certain parts that were to be used under the warranty extension replacement, and certain parts that were specifically for the recall. While these are the EXACT same part, its all bureaucracy and stuff. So, they may not be giving you the "run around" as much as they just don't have the parts they are supposed to use yet.

I'd just call the other one, and/or keep calling. Check as well, if you're within 13yr or 150k miles of when the car was brand new then you're covered under the extended warranty replacement and they should replace it with the parts they already have in.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:50 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Correct me if I'm wrong. But if it's a full-blown recall... shouldn't the owners get notices in their mail like they did with the passenger side airbag seat sensor?

Wouldn't we be seeing other documentation on it at Motoring file or something?
Has anyone else had success with discovering the full recall yet? If so, what year and month was your car made?
Is there a TSB number or documentation on the recall that you've actually seen?

I'm still hung up on the "all years" aspect on it as I can't say I've heard the 2007+ (2nd gen) having any issues. Previously they were very on only covering the builds before February 2005.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:55 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Following up.... In Canada it is not All-Years, just the 2002-2005 (February according to my previous research).

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...rchResult&pg=0

"The electro-hydraulic power steering pump, as well as the pump cooling fan, will be subject to special extended warranty coverage of 12 years or 200,000 km from first in-service date of the vehicle."

Old 05-03-2016, 05:04 AM
jamez
5th Gear
And here is some USA documentation (Again 2002-2005)

From October 2015:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...teering-glitch

"The automaker will begin sending recall notices via mail in December"

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/28/m...eering-recall/

Report Receipt Date: OCT 15, 2015
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V660000
Component(s): STEERING
Potential Number of Units Affected: 86,018

Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC
SUMMARY:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2002-2005 MINI Cooper and Cooper S vehicles and 2005 Cooper and Cooper S Convertible vehicles. The affected vehicles may experience temporary or permanent loss of the electro-hydraulic steering assistance.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the vehicle experiences a loss of power steering assist, extra steering effort will be required at lower speeds, potentially iincreasing the risk of a vehicle crash.
REMEDY:
MINI will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the electro-hydraulic power steering system, replacing the components and wiring, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 1, 2015. Owners may contact MINI customer service at 1-866-825-1525.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jamez
I'm still hung up on the "all years" aspect on it as I can't say I've heard the 2007+ (2nd gen) having any issues. Previously they were very on only covering the builds before February 2005.
Ok, I never said "all years", and even so...this is a 1st gen forum, so even if I ever did say all years, most would still come to the conclusion that would be all years of 1st gen, which 2007 is not included in, so why ask?

In a later post, I said it was 02-05. Multiple other people have replied saying its 02-FEB 05, so I'm still hung up on why you are so confused?

Also, as I said before...Call the dealership! It's not hard to call and ask, they will tell you. Also, some simple web research will return answers. If you want to wait on snail-mail then be my guest, but if you call a dealership you will get an answer, and service, much more quickly.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:10 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Ok, I never said "all years", and even so...this is a 1st gen forum, so even if I ever did say all years, most would still come to the conclusion that would be all years of 1st gen, which 2007 is not included in, so why ask?

In a later post, I said it was 02-05. Multiple other people have replied saying its 02-FEB 05, so I'm still hung up on why you are so confused?

Also, as I said before...Call the dealership! It's not hard to call and ask, they will tell you. Also, some simple web research will return answers. If you want to wait on snail-mail then be my guest, but if you call a dealership you will get an answer, and service, much more quickly.
The confusion started at post #49
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4202180

leaving rwkeating confused and asking as well.

Yes you cleared it up when you mentioned 02-05 but then you continued later with:

No matter the year or miles in those covered by the Recall.
That can easily be considered as "all years", although yah - you never said that. And yes it's a first gen forum.

Also, as we have discovered through the documentation, it does matter the mileage depending on the country. Which leads me to believe that Canada hasn't proceeded to a full recall, just the warranty extension the way it is worded and dated.

Calling the dealership is much easier when you have the documentation to roll with.

It's all good now. Great to hear it's a full recall now (at least in the USA), and the documentation is posted for future viewers. Its unfortunate that it doesn't cover the last 17 months of builds, but knowing this ahead can help some owners and prospective owners.

I'm really happy you posted and drew the attention to it. Hope I didn't grind anyone's gears.

Happy Motoring

Old 12-09-2019, 06:21 AM
schatenjager
Neutral
I know this is an older thread but I just did this on my daughter's 2003 R50 over the weekend and didn't see this tip mentioned. Getting the pump out and back in again with the car on jack stands can be tough because the clearance is minimal. If the frame of the car is on the stands, you can use a bottle jack and a two-by-four to lift the engine up about an inch, which dramatically increases the amount of clearance for getting the pump back in. Other than that, it went exactly as described and was very easy to do, overall.

The following users liked this post:
AliQ80 (02-03-2024)
Old 03-11-2022, 11:33 AM
tkwR53
Neutral
In case this helps, did a youtube guide on how to rebuild the pump. Not trying to build a channel, just helping all you lot that helped me.

Old 02-03-2024, 07:21 AM
AliQ80
Neutral
Originally Posted by schatenjager
I know this is an older thread but I just did this on my daughter's 2003 R50 over the weekend and didn't see this tip mentioned. Getting the pump out and back in again with the car on jack stands can be tough because the clearance is minimal. If the frame of the car is on the stands, you can use a bottle jack and a two-by-four to lift the engine up about an inch, which dramatically increases the amount of clearance for getting the pump back in. Other than that, it went exactly as described and was very easy to do, overall.

I have been struggling to get the ps pump out for days (to the point where I broke one of the connectors) , the clearance was not minimal nor tight, there was no clearance what so ever, I even tried cutting the slot with a Dremel and still could not do it, my car is actually on stands, lifting the engine was a life saving suggestion , thank you so much for that.