- noticibly higher torque
- marginally higher whp
- better fuel economy

Good luck :D

Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 PM
RHcoopers
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just stalled mine twice while adding it through the pcv!!! 😩😩😩😩 am I screwed?

Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RHcoopers
I just stalled mine twice while adding it through the pcv!!! 😩😩😩😩 am I screwed?
I doubt it. It should start with a little cranking.

Best of luck!

Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Breakmywallet
1st Gear
did mine today. literally emitted no smoke. seems to be running a little more healthy and strong, but it still bogs down at 2500rpm

Old 01-20-2014, 03:36 PM
ctweber
1st Gear
Did three treatments over the weekend. Definitely noticed some improvement. Lots and lots of smoke for entertainment value.

Put in new spark plugs. Number three was completely gone so I suspect my symptoms were more spark plug related than carbon build up. I can definitely say performance was better after Seafoaming but wow after the new spark plugs the improvement was breath taking.

Anyways....
Wanted to share my setup. Put this together with some tubing and brass fittings. Ground a taper on one end to fit snuggle into PCV tube. The other end is a cap. I drilled a 1/32" hole in the cap to meter the rate of intake of Seafoam. Worked really well.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Anldyxp_R56
3rd Gear
Hmm. So I used the Seafoam twice and no smoke. I poured a 5oz cup into the line(like in the video) last night and waited 20-30 mins before starting up the car again and nothing. Just now I tried it again, but instead of pouring it in I used a spray bottle like someone else suggested, waited 20-30 mins and nothing. Any ideas? The car has 50k miles on it.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Anldyxp_R56
3rd Gear
Update: So I finally got smoke to come out about an hour ago. This was actually the 5th try. The only thing different I did this time was that I warmed up the car for 5 minutes from a cold-start. Can someone confirm if you are supposed to use the Seafoam from a cold start?

1st time: car had just been driven - poured in 5 oz - waited 30 mins - No Smoke

2nd time: Did this right after the 1st try - poured in 5 oz - waited 30 mins - No Smoke

3rd time: car had just been driven- Sprayed in about 3/4 with spray bottle, and poured in the last 1/4 - smoked a bit while I was adding the Seafoam - waited 1 hour - no smoke

4th time: car had just been driven - Poured in 5 oz, poured quicker this time - waited 30 min - No smoke.

5th time: Car sat overnight, warmed it up for 5 minutes - Quickly sprayed in 5oz with a spray bottle - waited 30 mins - Smoked like crazy!!!

So can someone confirm whether it was the delivery method or the cold start that made it work on the 5th try? Was it because I sprayed in the Seafoam rapidly? When I sprayed it in on the 3rd try I was pumping the spray bottle maybe one pump per second.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 AM
animal1
2nd Gear
seafoam and others

I am so tired of seeing this not done correctly so if you wish please do attempt to hydro hammer your car by pouring chemicals into whatever hose you can find or........

I have a video of the blow by on the 18 engine when not service regularly and video on seafoam, BG, and another cleaner by Panther products sold commercially on valves caked with carbon and dropped into those products COLD. it doesn't work that way.

One, the engine needs to be warmed up.

Two, the chemicals need to be performed in a prescribed amount. Not "dumped into the engine."

Three, the rpms need to be kept about 1500-1800 rpms while performing this for best effective results and through cleaning of the system from throttle plate to cat converter and beyond.

Four, you you are wasting time and money otherwise.

If you live in and around the Reno/Sparks/Tahoe area please call and our guys will set you up with the proper process and results using a fogged/pressure system to treat the entire system for $85.00 using BG product on your cooper and we can do this for Justas, Turbos and Supers.
We do recommend new spark plugs if over 75K on the odometer.

I will post the video soon from the week long 'Soaking" results and the results showing ZERO cleaning without normal temps combined with the correct chemicals. Not all these works as advertised. If white smoke makes you sleep better please pour.

You will feel the difference and the car will step up for you when we are done with the service.

775.829.6293 Greg, Dana, or Steve can assist you TODAY.
Thanks,

Old 05-23-2014, 11:02 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Easy to say that everyone is doing it wrong when:

A)99% of the people on here in the slightly varying ways they've applied SeaFoam have had noticeable results via better idling, better throttle response and smoother driving and in most cases a slightly better feel by the butt-o-meter.

B)your proposed alternative is a $90 bill.

Just an observation.

I just bought a 2009 MCS with 48k on it and I'll be doing the SF treatment this weekend.

Question though for the masses. Anyone use Marvel Mystery Oil in their MINI? Yay, Nay, absolutely do not use etc? Just curious as I've used it in other vehicles.

I've done SF to other cars that weren't GDI and it worked well in them.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:50 AM
animal1
2nd Gear
no worries to each their own. Hammer away and then put a scope in there to tell us what you found didn't happen like you think it did. Its about the proper treatment chemicals with commercial grades at the prescribed amounts.
The saying goes you get what you pay for and sorry you don't think anybody knows better than you.
best wishes

Old 05-24-2014, 09:55 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
I never said that I know better than all. I was simply making a point that you were chiding everyone in this thread for doing it wrong and then only offer a paid service as an alternative.

We're all on this site because we're do it yourselfers of varying degrees and are trying to help each other.

My apologies if my post came off as antagonistic.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:46 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
Just went to order the DOS seafoam kit and they have closed their doors. :( Does anyone else sell a seafoam fogged kit?

Attached Thumbnails Maintenance :: How-To do Seafoam Treatment R55/R56-image-625430470.jpg  

Last edited by mikeyb74; 05-26-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 AM
HKSpeed
2nd Gear
Used about 1/3 bottle of Seafoam using the instructions from the first post in my wife's 2008 non-turbo with 55K miles. The car suffers from bucking/hesitation during mild acceleration from 2-3K RPM in 3-5 gear (automatic). The Seafoam mitigated the problem, but didn't get rid of it completely. I'll try changing spark plugs next. Thanks for this DIY.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
06 mcs?

Is SF useful for an 06 MCS? Super charged so I'm not sure. Also does anybody have a photo of where the PCV valve is?
I've use seafoam in my gas for quite some time and it has helped my mpg; I just added some to my oil (will change in a couple days) but not sure about PCV application. Help???

Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Series one Mini's don't have direct injection, so carbon build up isn't a problem with them.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 AM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Series one Mini's don't have direct injection, so carbon build up isn't a problem with them.
Okay, thanks Dave!. I have used SF in my gas (a can every 4-5 fill ups) and it has given me an extra 2-3 mpg it seems.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:58 AM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
It wouldn't hurt it though, right?

Old 07-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Worbit
2nd Gear
Just SF'd my 2007 JCW MCS and got no smoke, but I did get gunky stuff on the exhaust tips. I drove my car around for about 15 minutes before pulling into a parking lot and followed the steps in OP's video. Then I let the car sit for about 10-15 minutes and started it up. Hopefully it doesn't start smoking when I get on the freeway tonight, I have to drive from Oakland to Seattle! :|

Old 10-24-2014, 01:10 PM
buckwilly
1st Gear
Seafoamed the 2010 Mini S with 75K miles on it. I have done this to my vehicles in the past. I used a whole bottle and did 3 treatments throughout the weekend. I let it set for 20-30 minutes before restarting each time. Each time there was smoke but the 3rd time had the most smoke but I have seen much worse in my other cars. I assume the car was never seafoamed before I bought it at 40K miles.

The car pulls much smoother and its got a bit more "kick" to it. In other cars I've done this to it rarely made a difference but I can see a quite dramatic change after the first bottle. The mini drove fine before but I can definitely see the improvements through the rev range. Better yet it seems the ECU relearns and got even smoother and quicker after 50-60 miles of driving.

Highly recommend it. And I didn't do anything special, just added it over 5 minutes by pouring/trickling into the back PVC valve. 4000 miles later and I get about 32 mpg now vs 29-30 mpg before

Old 10-24-2014, 01:35 PM
bit_bucket
2nd Gear
Hate to say this, but early on I Seafoam'd my car, multiple times and on a regular basis. When I opened my intakes earlier this year to do a walnut shell blasting, they were so coked up that I have to surmise that Seafoam does absolutely nothing or very little to help an engine with even a moderate amount of sludge. There really is no replacement for a walnut shell blasting, and given that I was able to do mine for about 100 dollars in equipment and just 10 bucks for subsequent times, I think it is well worth it to just walnut shell blast the intakes. Of course if you are not mechanically inclined, then this can be much more expensive. I have just seen too much evidence on my own car that shows seafoam does very little.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:49 AM
theUnderDog13
2nd Gear
Maybe this was already asked, you leave it running while pouring it in the pcv, right? I got the car walnut blasted last summer but figure I should try and do the seafoam as well. It also goes into the oil as well as the gas tank?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes thats how they describe the seafoam service. Personally I think its a waste. I work at a VW/Toyota dealership and we had a customer do the seafoam service instead of a walnut shell blast. They ended up coming back a month and a half later, we took a look at the valves again, sure enough still dirty. Couldn't even tell a difference. Just makes a lot of smoke. I'm sure the gains that people claim are minimal if anything actually happening at all.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:48 AM
Black Sharpie
3rd Gear
Did 1/3 cup into the PCV, slowly pouring, thumbing the opening. Seeemd fine. Drove it after 15 min sitting off.

Solid quite clouds of smoke came out.

Eventually car triggered a P2885 code and now no boost.

Any ideas? Could seafoam have fouled anything here to cause this?

Old 05-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Miniac_DBOWtheSTIG
Neutral
Hey guys, went to do my first sea foam treatment today and it seemed like I had s little more trouble then most people. I only used about 3 ounces out of the 5 because when I was sifting the sea foam into the hose, my engine was choking up a lot harder and a lot more often then any video I had seen. To me it seemed like it was having a hard time sucking the sea foam up even though I was barely putting into the hose. Almost like the sea foam is having a hard time getting through the hose. Is this common? Maybe the hose has a lot of sludge built up in it? I didn't want to continue because I was scared of hydro locking my vehicle.

I am going to try again in a fee days and just take my time and make sure I get the full 5 ounces in.

Update:I also had barely ANY smoke out of the exhaust, so I am assuming I didn't get enough in.

Last edited by Miniac_DBOWtheSTIG; 05-07-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:12 PM
aabcds
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
All right. I'm an idiot. Where is the PCV hose located in a 2013 MCS R56?

I've looked on the passenger-side on the rear of the engine but I don't see it. I'm seeing a few hoses that go into the top of the engine but I'm not sure which one it is. Does anyone have a picture or a link to a picture?

EDIT #1: I think I figured it out based on this picture from minimania.com.

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME6176/

EDIT #2: I tried pulling off that hose while the engine was running but didn't get any suction whatsoever. I reved the engine up to 2,500 RPM but no suction either.

Last edited by aabcds; 04-10-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: How To Maintenance :: How-To do Seafoam Treatment R55/R56