How To Interior/Exterior :: Retrofit adjustable lumbar support to a sports seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
keep us updated on the install w/ the leatherette, I'm also a bit nervous about cutting a hole in the cover.
I can't believe it's such a simple mod and it wasn't even an option in the configurator when I was ordering. I actually assumed adjustable lumbar support would be standard with the sport seats

Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 AM
ca92807
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered my parts from Classic BMW for my ’08 R56 and had them in my hands 1 week later. Great instructions, but I still had some difficulty removing the back cover.

The headrest clips are each held in with 2 barbs that engage in the metal tube about 1.5” from the top. If you don’t feel comfortable prying them out – I thought they might break off – you can push the seat cover and padding down and reach down the outside of the tube with a screwdriver to release them.

On my fabric seats I didn’t cut a round hole for the ****, just 2 sets of “X” cuts with a new razor blade that were within the 1” hole needed. The fabric points just tuck into the foam opening when the **** snaps in.

Thanks, Andrew!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ca92807
I ordered my parts from Classic BMW for my ’08 R56 and had them in my hands 1 week later. Great instructions, but I still had some difficulty removing the back cover.

The headrest clips are each held in with 2 barbs that engage in the metal tube about 1.5” from the top. If you don’t feel comfortable prying them out – I thought they might break off – you can push the seat cover and padding down and reach down the outside of the tube with a screwdriver to release them.

On my fabric seats I didn’t cut a round hole for the ****, just 2 sets of “X” cuts with a new razor blade that were within the 1” hole needed. The fabric points just tuck into the foam opening when the **** snaps in.

Thanks, Andrew!
I also had difficulty removing the headrest clips... so I didn't remove them. I just moved some of the seat foam out of the way and was able to (but with several cuts on my hands) remove the old seat spring.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:08 PM
The QZ
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, awesome write up. Gives me the courage to try this out. I'd only do it on the driver's seat, don't really care about the passenger seat as I never sit there.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
I have a quick question for all of y'all that have tried this. I am planning on installing the Euro Armrest and I am now wondering if I should install the lumbar support before I install the armrest. Does anyone have both and/or have any thoughts on which would be better to install first?

Thank you!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:26 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lacynpiper
I have a quick question for all of y'all that have tried this. I am planning on installing the Euro Armrest and I am now wondering if I should install the lumbar support before I install the armrest. Does anyone have both and/or have any thoughts on which would be better to install first?

Thank you!
i have the regular arm rest and it did get in the way a little but all i had to do was move the seat up a little (while working from the back seat). I would imagine without the arm rest access would be a little easier when you put the control **** on the side of the seat (goes on the inboard side of the seats)

Last edited by mellowmcs; 08-06-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:42 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Leatherette Success

Originally Posted by n1tr0
keep us updated on the install w/ the leatherette, I'm also a bit nervous about cutting a hole in the cover.
I can't believe it's such a simple mod and it wasn't even an option in the configurator when I was ordering. I actually assumed adjustable lumbar support would be standard with the sport seats

I recieved my parts today. I was going to do the install tomorrow but I couldnt wait. I did the drivers seat tonight. It was only 110 in the garage at 8pm. Gotta love AZ. The install went without a hitch. I looked over the instructions once before I went out and I had the drivers seat done in 30 minutes. The only problem I ran into was that a small piece of foam ripped from the rear when I was pulling it back through the seat bottom and seat back. Not a big deal, it is on the rear of the seat anyways. I just put it back in its place before securing the cover. Just be careful. The seat foam tears pretty easy. I did the same thing mentioned above about cutting an X shape around the opening. Seems eaiser then cutting a hole. I also did that as my very last step after everything else was installed. You can locate the center of the mechanism pretty easy after the cover is back on. Mine was towards the bottom of the foam cutout. Pm me if anyone has questions.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Angib
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ca92807
Excellent tip.

Andrew

Old 08-14-2009, 08:44 PM
rowebacon
1st Gear
For those that have installed it, how does it feel now that you're driving around? I'm curious since someone had mentioned that the support was a bit much even at the lowest setting.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:20 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rowebacon
For those that have installed it, how does it feel now that you're driving around? I'm curious since someone had mentioned that the support was a bit much even at the lowest setting.
the feel will probably depend on each individual. for me the lowest setting is nearly perfect. about 1 additional turn and it's perfect for my back. that's how I've had it set since I installed mine.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very Very tempting to do. Seems fairly cheap for a great outcome!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rowebacon
...since someone had mentioned that the support was a bit much even at the lowest setting.
That would be me - and it mostly was just by comparison with the previous stock seat - going from the previous hole to even a slight bump makes the bump seem huge.

Now I've had the mod done for over a month, I've settled on about two **** turns more than minimum support.

Andrew

Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Dealer quoted me $600 installed. ($200 for parks and $200 for labor per seat).

Def DIY time.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
($200 for parks and $200 for labor per seat).
I think $200 is about the full US list price for the parts (at least according to realoem.com). $200 labor per seat is a lot, but then if I was the dealer and didn't have anything from BMW telling me how long it would take, I'd want a bit of spare time in the budget too.....

It may be worth repeating - anyone can dismantle the seats far enough to prove to themselves that it's easy to do, without buying any parts. You do need to not be hamfisted with the plastic clips, though I broke one the first time and it's still working fine.

Try it out on the passenger seat?

Andrew

Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phxsteele
Classic MINI quoted the following
52102752613 = 58.06
52102752614 = 58.06
52102751387 = 9.84 each.

My local MINI dealer matched the price so I am buying there. I should have the parts by the end of the week. If I do I will install on the weekend and let everyone know how it goes.
Who is "Classic MINI"? I found "Classic Auto Campus" in the vendors list, but no Classic MINI. I know that a number of vendors have dropped out of NAM sponsorship with the downturn in the economy (including myself). Do you have a link for Classic MINI?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:32 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Classic MINI is "Classic Auto Campus" in the vendors list. Classic Auto Group is a conglomerate of auto dealers in Ohio, and Classic MINI is one of them. I've ordered parts from them several times and received good prices and service. You can e-mail them for price quotes but you have to place orders over the phone.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:53 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angib: I want to thank you for your excellent write up for the adjustable lumbar support retrofit. I ordered the parts for my driver's seat for $80 from Morristown MINI and followed the directions you provided in the PDF. It was a piece of cake, your directions and photos were spot on and easy to follow. Anyone with reasonable mechanical skills who is willing to take their time, look at the photos and follow the directions will be successful with this mod. I find the seat much more comfortable after the mod and will be adding this feature to the passenger seat in the future. Thanks again for sharing this information with the rest of the NAM community, great job.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 AM
ca92807
1st Gear
I just completed the upgrade to a second MINI, my 1-week old BRG S. It only took about 45 minutes for both seats. This time I saved cutting the "X" slits for the **** until I was all done, using my finger to find the center of the control shaft after the fabric was fully tight.

I really recommend this mod. In August I did a 1300 mile 3-day road trip in the '08 and my back felt great with the additional support. One thing I learned after doing 4 seats: be careful of the sharp edges on the seat frame. After both jobs I ended up with minor cuts on the fingertips of my left hand, and I may have exchanged DNA with my car.

Ironically, on the first car one of the seats had a missing push-in plastic rivet. My new S had an extra rivet that was stuck to the seat foam.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Gonna order the parts in the next few weeks and it won't cost me a dime! i have the citi bank drivers edge card and i have $140 in "points" (so it will only cost me about $50 total) usually its only redeemable on service or purchase of a car so buying parts is not redeemable. I asked the dealer and they will gladly put on a 15 minute labor charge to make it look like they did the install.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:16 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Great "to thread", thanks a lot for the effort.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed one in the driver's seat while I had the seat out to run wires from the X9331 connector to an audio amp. The instructions were excellent. Also thanks to ca92807 for the X tip.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Just picked up my parts and about to go install! Wish me luck!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:42 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
From what I can tell from realoem.com, this should also work for the standard non-sport seat. Seems like the same insides. This is definitely on my mod list now. Awesome instructions! Thanks.

Last edited by lacning74; 11-27-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Done! Feels great! Instructions were perfect.

Some notes:

1. My "expanding" rivets were very hard to get to separate. I had to use a knife to get them apart.
2. The Leatherette is very tough stuff. At first i thought i could mark the hole by just stretching the material so a dimple would be my maker. But the leatherette just returned to normal in about 30 seconds of being stretch. So i punched a hanger size hole in the stuff but then later i couldn't find the hole! (Thats what she said! OH SNAP). This just furthers my belive that the leatherette is the best interior surface EVER. So resilient.
3. The Head rest tubes. The snap in place with expanding tabs. Simply putting a screw drive between the plastic and twisting broke one of my tabs so the tube doesn't stay down anymore. Only happened on 1 out of 4 so be carefull. There must be a proper way to get that out....

Other than that that is all i can think of. Any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks!

-Will

Old 11-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Question after the fact. I noticed that the side leatherette has a slight ripple to it. Basically the whole i made is slightly to high. Is there an "Easy" way to just take off the handle to make the whole a bit larger?

Quick Reply: How To Interior/Exterior :: Retrofit adjustable lumbar support to a sports seat