How To Electrical :: Radar Detector Hardwiring (12v Line) Above the Rearview Mirror...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdman
Problem I have putting it up there, is that is where my Light'NSight is, which I LOVE and wouldn't move for 5 billion dollars (well, ok, maybe ...but..). Soe where else could I mount a detector, stealthy?
I have the Lightinsight as well, but it doesn't interfere with the detector. I have the lightinsight mounted near the top of the windshield, centered so that it's right in front of me. The radar detector is just to the left of the rearview mirror, so the lightinsight isn't in front of the detector. It's worked fine so far.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=OctaneGuy;1639754]That may be. I was able to mount it this way in both my '03 MC and '05 MCS--though very little changed between them. quote]

I checked and it does fit in the R56, perhaps even better. There is ample room just above the mirror, as well as just to the side without even interfering with the visors! Thanks for sharing the idea, OG.

Once the Velcro cures on my V1, I will see where I will actually place it and add photos to my gallery. I also repositioned the remote unit and will photo that, too. I mounted it facing up just beneath, and slightly right of, the key slot. Since I have comfort access, it's a great spot and very easy to reach to hit the mute. Maybe not a great spot if you need to use a key.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:14 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad it works for you too!
Cool yeah I'd like to see your remote location. I had mine mounted below the toggles in the center console of the R53 for a long time, but later moved it to a more "stealth" location behind the steering wheel, near the ignition slot--but it's so stealth that when I'm driving straight, the 3 spoke steering wheel blocks site of the remote. Can only see it when I'm turning. LOL.

I've actually got a new idea in the works--and that's integrating it into my Garmin Nuvi--we shall see if that pans out. LOL.

Richard

[QUOTE=LynnEl;1640196]
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
That may be. I was able to mount it this way in both my '03 MC and '05 MCS--though very little changed between them. quote]

I checked and it does fit in the R56, perhaps even better. There is ample room just above the mirror, as well as just to the side without even interfering with the visors! Thanks for sharing the idea, OG.

Once the Velcro cures on my V1, I will see where I will actually place it and add photos to my gallery. I also repositioned the remote unit and will photo that, too. I mounted it facing up just beneath, and slightly right of, the key slot. Since I have comfort access, it's a great spot and very easy to reach to hit the mute. Maybe not a great spot if you need to use a key.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:15 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
OOPs, double posted.

Last edited by 1chaos52; 07-20-2007 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:17 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by crucial_fiction
Remember your radar unit will still have power for ~15-30 minutes because for some reason, the car isn't really off just because you removed the key. I've left mine on and in the car when I went out of town for 2 weeks, no battery drain or anything of the sort.
Thanks for the great write up and instruction. I hooked mine up last night using the same method and it is working great.

One difference though, mine does not retain the power for 15 minutes using those same wires. Mine shuts off immediately when I pull the key out of the slot.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I put the detector in this morning. Perfect. It fits above/behind the mirror, to the right, on the part of the headliner that is about an inch lower than the rest. There is just enough room to reach and turn the button, if I ever need to (since I have the remote, that isn't often). It is virtually invisible looking into the windshield, yet it is still below the dark band (which could otherwise impact laser detection). I was worried that the Velcro wouldn't have a strong grip on the headliner. Wrong. When first putting it in, I needed to pull it off to make a small adjustment. It was an epic fight to get it to let go.

As for the remote, I used to have it on the checkered dash piece between the left a/c vent and steering column. I didn't like it there because (1) the curve of the dash made it's placement look sloppy no matter how I adjusted it; (2) if stopped by a cop, it would be in his face and was still somewhat visible from outside; and (3) I would have to reach between the steering wheel spokes to hit the mute. It's new location, facing up just below, and slightly to the right of, the ignition "pod" is much better. It's lights are clearly visible in my peripheral vision; it cannot easily be seen from the outside; I can easily hit the mute button; it is almost never hit by the sun; and it just looks better.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:00 PM
crucial_fiction
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to see people are using this

Old 09-01-2007, 09:05 PM
jrammon
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the pictorial! This will be the first thing I do when my mini arrives. I was wondering about power access - now it will be a snap.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:31 AM
mikeo
3rd Gear
It's a very good DIY. It would be a GREAT DIY if it had found a switched power source. It gets annoying when you open the car door/hatch and the radar fires up.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:44 PM
sirr6
4th Gear
Are you guys cutting the adpater that it came with? Or are you buying something else to wire it? Please let me know what else I would have to buy to install it the way you guys are doing it. Thanks

Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 PM
jrammon
2nd Gear
I have used the V1 supplied "direct-wire power adaptor kit". https://store.valentine1.com/store/d...gory=partsdept

It makes a very clean, professional installation.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:20 PM
sirr6
4th Gear
thanks for the help, i will be getting that kit, does it include one of those connectors for 1.00 or do i need to get one of those?

Originally Posted by jrammon
I have used the V1 supplied "direct-wire power adaptor kit". https://store.valentine1.com/store/d...gory=partsdept

It makes a very clean, professional installation.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 AM
crucial_fiction
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sirr6
thanks for the help, i will be getting that kit, does it include one of those connectors for 1.00 or do i need to get one of those?
Get the direct wire power adapter. It will come with a little clamp for the input power. Just take that clamp, put it on the purp wire and connect power and route it as shown and you're golden.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:46 PM
sirr6
4th Gear
will the adapter kit have a power line and ground line?

Old 09-03-2007, 07:52 PM
jrammon
2nd Gear
sirr6,

Yes. The V1 direct-wire power adaptor kit includes wires for power (red) and ground (black). Makes it simple to install the V1.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 AM
sirr6
4th Gear
Hey, i just ordered the whole kit for 399.99 and it states that the everything in the adapter kit is in the box, should i be ordering another adpater kit?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the V1 also, and it comes with the adapter kit, so you won't *need* anything else. One thing I would suggest is getting a shorter phone cord to attach the power adapter to the detector. The phone cord that comes with the V1 is about 10 feet long, which is probably about 9 feet more than you need if you're going to tap into the power wire above the rear-view mirror.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
jrammon
2nd Gear
The direct wire power adapter is included with any new V1, so you do not need anything else. Yes, the cord is long. You can coil it up nicely and zip-tie it together. It should fit above the overhead rearview mirror/light panel.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:29 PM
MrB
2nd Gear
nice job

Old 09-15-2007, 11:58 PM
sirr6
4th Gear
im not sure if its me or not, but i see 2 purple wires and with has a blue strip, but when i connect the wire, it still doesnt work!?!?! Am i missing something here?

Old 09-16-2007, 12:01 AM
sirr6
4th Gear
I also grounded the blk to one of the long screws that you take off with a star bit, is that ok to ground it there? Or where else should i ground it too?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:51 AM
sirr6
4th Gear
got it! i grounded it to the paint, i should have known that.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
jrammon
2nd Gear
Just received my Mini tonight and I installed my V1. It went very smoothly except the ground wire. I had to find a screw that would bite into the metal behind the switch assembly to get a constant, solid ground. Now it is working great. There is a predrilled hole up on the left side, towards the front of the car. If you have the right size machine or self tapping screw it will work great for the ground wire.

Thanks again for great DIY pictorial.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
your write up was the bump i needed to finally get one. thanks.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 PM
ladisney
3rd Gear
I put mine in yesterday. Getting a good ground was difficult until I noticed the small hole in the support for the roof just above and in front of the plastic bracket. A small screw and a few seconds and voila, ground problem solved.

Quick Reply: How To Electrical :: Radar Detector Hardwiring (12v Line) Above the Rearview Mirror...