Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

Wisdom needed...to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 02:39 AM
FAH50
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wisdom needed...to buy or not to buy

Aloha. We have been seriously contemplating purchasing a Mini S Convertible. My husband is very car repair savvy and we take good care and maintain our vehicles. In research though.....we have come across so many negative posts about the "money put" a Mini can be, as well as some serious issues that can happen with this car. On the other hand, they are so cute, sporty and fun. We are lookinh at a 09, with around 50,000 on it. Any honest information would be really appreciated.....we were ready to go with it, until a bit more research slowed things down. Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom!

Old 10-29-2016, 06:50 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
10 years of fantastic topless motoring and yes, we've had the standard failures occur: Thermostat housing, O sensor, PS hoses, CV boots, and etc plus the normal wear items.
Weighing the first against the latter, money can't buy the fun and adventure we've enjoyed. Go for it.

PS: Use ONLY recommended fuel.
Top octane and http://www.toptiergas.com/
Rotate tires and oil change, 5K
RaggTopp or 303 for canvas care
These li'l guys require more attention than mom's SUV drive it and forget it appliance.

Last edited by Fly'n Brick; 10-29-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:58 PM
FAH50
Neutral
Thank you for your reply and very helpful information @Fly'n Brick....going to share it with the husband. He is really concerned about the mechanical issues, especially the timing chain and transmission probs he has read about....Im concerned too...but I just cant get that "fun" out of my heart and head after driving one....I will be primary driver, he doesng want unexpected breakdowns at huge costs as it seems so many complain about. This will be our first "just for us" car....Done with the family car...😊

Old 10-29-2016, 02:01 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I love my Mini and for the dollar it's the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. At the same time I will add that I will have my car traded off, perhaps for another Mini, before the new car warranty runs out.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
The timing chain tensioner is not a big job. Had mine replaced just last month at a little over 100K as a preventative measure. Of course the engines are entirely different so if that's a major concern, swap it out. Is the one you're looking at a manual or auto gear box (manual is a lot more fun)? Neither should be of concern. Most of the manual clutch problems that show up early are more than likely from poor usage practices, not hardware deficiencies.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:14 PM
FAH50
Neutral
Thank you again for solid, helpful info. The one we are looking at is actually a auto trans. Many things we read said problems started at around the 50,000 point. Carbon issues, transmission....and timing chain destroying engines. So many Coopers on rd.....so we figured they cant all be so terrible. We dont want to be repairing them all of the time....as I look forward to driving around our little island in it....dont want a major deal. My husband could change out engine at some point....because we are planning on keeping it for a good long time. Did you purchase an extended warranty? We have never done that. Posted on this site because I thought it would give us some good feedback from real owners!

Old 10-29-2016, 08:01 PM
FAH50
Neutral
Originally Posted by whaap
I love my Mini and for the dollar it's the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. At the same time I will add that I will have my car traded off, perhaps for another Mini, before the new car warranty runs out.
Thank you @whaap!! Tells me a lot!!!!

Old 10-29-2016, 09:17 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
That auto gear box shouldn't be a problem. Consider changing out the fluid in another 10 or 20K in spite of factory claims that it is immortal. Don't cheap out, use OEM fluid. As for the chain tensioner, if it is a concern, change it out. No special tools needed. There are tons of youtube demos on how to do just about everything on/to a MINI and the listed vendors have what's needed.