GP decision time

Old 01-22-2017, 03:48 PM
Matty33
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GP decision time

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with a GP who has another mini. I'm looking at getting a '16 JCW CM that is really nice. The GP is amazing but I don't drive it much and won't be tracking it at all as was the original plan. I also have a long daily commute so extra creature comforts are a bonus.

So question is, if I get the JCW CM and drive that daily will it be such a huge difference from a performance standpoint that I'd miss the GP? Tough to answer and all opinions obviously but still love to hear some!

Old 01-22-2017, 04:23 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Keep the GP and the JCW too.

I do that kind of thing all the time, I have six cars and a motorcycle.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:51 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Matty33
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with a GP who has another mini. I'm looking at getting a '16 JCW CM that is really nice. The GP is amazing but I don't drive it much and won't be tracking it at all as was the original plan. I also have a long daily commute so extra creature comforts are a bonus.

So question is, if I get the JCW CM and drive that daily will it be such a huge difference from a performance standpoint that I'd miss the GP? Tough to answer and all opinions obviously but still love to hear some!
Where you will really notice a difference is in the handling. The GP is much sharper and more precise with steering input, holds the road much better. It is stiffer though.

On the downside, no cruise control, no steering wheel stereo controls, no rear windscreen wiper, no rear seats. If those kind of things bother you, then using the GP as a daily driver will bug you.

Here is a nice little comparison article a friend of mine did a few years back,

http://www.ausmotive.com/2013/08/03/...v-mini-gp.html

Old 01-23-2017, 02:14 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I owned my GP2 and JCW CM for awhile and I love the CM more. After the bigger turbo, tune, downpipe and suspension it became a family car for the canyons. I sold the GP and replaced it with a Nissan GTR. Keep the CM and modded it.
mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

Attached Thumbnails GP decision time-image-528248202.jpg   GP decision time-image-2286325739.jpg   GP decision time-image-2963631265.jpg  
2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-23-2017, 05:59 AM
Matty33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by robbo mcs
Where you will really notice a difference is in the handling. The GP is much sharper and more precise with steering input, holds the road much better. It is stiffer though.

On the downside, no cruise control, no steering wheel stereo controls, no rear windscreen wiper, no rear seats. If those kind of things bother you, then using the GP as a daily driver will bug you.

Here is a nice little comparison article a friend of mine did a few years back,

http://www.ausmotive.com/2013/08/03/...v-mini-gp.html
Thanks for the input and great article. The first few years not having all the creature comforts didn't matter but now it's starting to weigh on me for sure because of the longer commute and wanting to have a fun car to drive with some of the amenities.

If the GP goes away I'll definitely miss the precise handling and the brakes, oh how I love those brakes

Old 01-23-2017, 06:05 AM
Matty33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I owned my GP2 and JCW CM for awhile and I love the CM more. After the bigger turbo, tune, downpipe and suspension it became a family car for the canyons. I sold the GP and replaced it with a Nissan GTR. Keep the CM and modded it.

What I got from this is buy a GTR, my wife will be thrilled

But seriously thanks for the input, that's really helpful. Initial drives of the JCW CM does make it feel that with a little tuning it could be amazing.

Right now I'm in the mindset to grab the CM and sell the GP when a buyer pops up.

PS: Fantastic looking JCW CM MarioKart

Old 01-24-2017, 11:07 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
What I got from this is buy a GTR, my wife will be thrilled But seriously thanks for the input, that's really helpful. Initial drives of the JCW CM does make it feel that with a little tuning it could be amazing. Right now I'm in the mindset to grab the CM and sell the GP when a buyer pops up. PS: Fantastic looking JCW CM MarioKart
You will really like a JCW CM manual and no sunroof. The car responds very well with coilovers and AWD. The turbo and tune gained me about 70whp mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

Attached Thumbnails GP decision time-image-2273165959.jpg  
2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp

Last edited by MarioKart; 01-24-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:30 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Get the JCW CM with the stock sport suspension (it's free). Right? Not the adjustable suspension that's probably horrible.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:41 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Never drove a GP, but my F56 is so different than the Countryman. Not from the same planet. You might love a JCW CM, but it probably won't scratch the same itch.

If you want creature comforts wait for 2017 CM or go JCW Clubman.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Matty33
2nd Gear
I went with the JCW CM, pick it up later this week. I have the GP still...for now. Will put it up for sale soon.

Thanks all for the advice!

Old 01-24-2017, 07:17 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
I went with the JCW CM, pick it up later this week. I have the GP still...for now. Will put it up for sale soon. Thanks all for the advice!
Good choice! A tune will help a ton.

Search this Thread