Can you help me undestand this about some GP owners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Inkw8ll
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GP2 owner here. I daily drive the car, sought of (trains to work). I plan on removing the decals, blacking out the chrome & some interior mods (nothing in audio department). Could careless how exclusive it is, but love the mods it came with. I saved time & money by buying a car that came with those mods and a warranty. I just saved the photo you posted because I like the GP2 without decals

Old 05-19-2013, 10:54 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
A person buys a car (any car), and decides that they don't like the decals, or thinks the car would look better without them. So they remove the decals. What's so hard to understand about that?

IMO, the GP on the right didn't go far enough. Should have removed the decal black strips on the roof as well.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:05 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
The GP2 is really cool either way but it's not really that much more performance than a JCW. The big brembo brakes are already plenty of stopping power. The GP2 is documented to be so much faster because it comes stock with R compound tires. I bet that most owners go back to a normal tire after those wear out, then you are back to the performsnce of a JCW with coilovers.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:58 PM
coopking
1st Gear
Originally Posted by k_h_d
The GP2 is really cool either way but it's not really that much more performance than a JCW. The big brembo brakes are already plenty of stopping power. The GP2 is documented to be so much faster because it comes stock with R compound tires. I bet that most owners go back to a normal tire after those wear out, then you are back to the performsnce of a JCW with coilovers.
...of a JCW with coilovers, rear spoiler which reduces lift up to 90% and rear diffuser. Someone will do a comparison test soon to put this all to rest.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
A person buys a car (any car), and decides that they don't like the decals, or thinks the car would look better without them. So they remove the decals. What's so hard to understand about that?
Because I am thick headed:lol :
To each is own. IMO as I have stated numerous times, I think it is a waste of money to buy something as special as the GP2 is and then make it look like a regular JCW. Other then some body parts and coil overs it is just a dressed up JCW IMO again because you took the decals off. By starting this thread I was not looking to offend anyone. Just looking to hear why they would do it. Nothing more and nothing less. If it is not to hard to understand I was just looking for their opinions on it.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by coopking
...of a JCW with coilovers, rear spoiler which reduces lift up to 90% and rear diffuser. Someone will do a comparison test soon to put this all to rest.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Oh and by the way. I would buy one. So I am not bashing them.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I am not bashing either, I absolutely would buy one... But I am sure the tires are the biggest improvement in handling compared to the original GP and current fJCW line.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by k_h_d
I am not bashing either, I absolutely would buy one... But I am sure the tires are the biggest improvement in handling compared to the original GP and current fJCW line.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
And I am quite jealous of the new GP2 owners... I came very close to driving to my dealer who had two on the lot and possibly buying one. But I love my sunroof, and I need a back seat to take my kids for rides. They love to go in the "John Cooper Works" as I have trained them to call it. If I did not have back seats then they would not be able to enjoy it with me... Kids definitely change your perspective because 4.5 years ago I would have never said that.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Because I wanted one.

And when I do build it out, it's always best to start with the best of the breed.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Because I wanted one.

And when I do build it out, it's always best to start with the best of the breed.
Just curious then does coil overs, brakes, body parts and tires make it the best of the breed?

Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Ok it does. So what do you do next to the best? Take things off that made it the best?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:59 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by coopking
..... And undertray improving front airflow, specific gp mode programming of dsc module, different programming of thermostat control, different programming of boost control, etc etc.

I have a race / rally fJCW which runs on bilstein suspension, kumho semi slicks etc. I already done extensive back to back testing with the gp around windy backroads. I a couple of weeks I will be taking them both out to the circuit and will be doing a back to back track comparison.

I will let you know how I get on.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Fuel_Cap
1st Gear
I would say that people who modify and/or put lots of mileage on collectible cars, no matter what it is, help keeping a better resale value for the other owners who keep theirs as good as new... In other words, they help make the car even rarer!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Wyomini09
Neutral
Don't often jump in, but I have 2 MINIs--a 2012 Convertible S and a 2013 GP. I you-ified my S and get great comments from other MINI drivers. The GP is staighht from the factory and will remain that way. I change the badges according to my mood, but it will stay stock. Bought it for the exclusiveness, the design and the performance. Drive it as often as I can--42 inches of snow the first 3 weeks slowed that down. As soon as the Wyoming mountain roads are plowed, I expect to have some great drives at 10,000 ft plus twisty roads. I agree that each owner can, and should, do as they want with their GPs -- that is what makes them fun.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would never buy a GP2 new. Too many other options at that price point. I would however buy one a couple years from now lightly used and deprecated. It would immediately get unstickered and treated to new wheels/tires.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 PM
fladale
1st Gear
I own 0438. There are many parts and software differences between a JCW and a GP. Yea you can throw enough money at a JCW to make it match the GP specs but how much more will you spend and you would void your warranty. Like others have said a GP is a good starting point if you want to make a specialty vehicle. I do and will as I plan to track this car and use it on the street for fun as I did with my R56 jcw

Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
To me, the decals are not what makes it a GP, rather it is the mechanical improvements. So, I have no issue with someone removing some vinyl graphics from their GP2 if they don't like them. They can easily be replaced.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 PM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paint and decals make it a GP,
Ding.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 PM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Then why buy an exclusive model. Like I said, why not buy a JCW and go nuts on the performance end of it making it better the a GP?

You could always say why even buy a JCW? As a 2013 cooper S owner I still turn my head when I see them in Palm Beach but I'm not jealous at all. I know when I get off my lazy *** and install parts I have sitting in my garage it will outperform a JCW in turns and straight line. I have wet dreams of a red light with a JCW after my car leaves renntech That's a lie; the only thing I cam jealous of is the 1300 body kit that I refuse to pay for. That plastic better be dipped in gold for me to cough up that dough for sideskirts.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:42 AM
fladale
1st Gear
6000 lbs
In 09 the jcw engine and transaxle assembled/made in Germany where the other models were not. This leads my to think that some other parts may have been used in the JCW. I had a KWv3 suspension tuned to the mini with other parts on my 09 also and would have like to see what you have at PBIR. In a month or 2 my GP may be track ready if my KWv3 parts fit

Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 PM
jrs66
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
I don't think you can understand why people do what they do. I like small cars and I always liked the MINI. I usually lease cars and for some strange reason I decided to buy this one. Its a JCW that someone configured with just about everything there was to add from the factory except for PDC and NAV. They could not get financing and it sat on the lot for 4 months until I came along. The sticker on the car was $42k. Crazy expensive back then for a MINI. I got a good deal on it for $38k.

Now some might say that $38k for a MINI is way to expensive. I have even had people tell me I have a $20k with $20k in options.

It looked like this:

I found NAM a day after I bought it. Now it looks like this

I spent a ton of money during the first 3 years I had the car.

Looking back on this little adventure... I am sorry I bought it. If I leased it I would not have done many of these mods. And you know what I am sorry I did any of this.

I walked into the dealer last month and there was a GP on the floor much to my surprise. I thought about trading my car in. Doing all this stuff was fun but now I am stuck with it. I can't sell it because I would never make back what I put into it (not that I even expect to) and I wouldn't want to remove everything and put it back to stock to sell it.

In summary... to each there own. You can never understand why people do what they do or why they spend their money on certain things.

To answer the question. Which do I prefer? I would pick the car on the left. The car on the right is not a GP any longer as far as I am concerned.
That is a bad *** Mini.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fladale
6000 lbs
In 09 the jcw engine and transaxle assembled/made in Germany where the other models were not. This leads my to think that some other parts may have been used in the JCW. I had a KWv3 suspension tuned to the mini with other parts on my 09 also and would have like to see what you have at PBIR. In a month or 2 my GP may be track ready if my KWv3 parts fit

sounds like fun. I called Braman Mini last week when I was quoting some prices on parts and from what the service manager told me over the phone and scared to mod my Mini more than I have. If I get a check engine light I'm going to have to unmod everything I have and play dumb. I'm not even sure if that would work. What do you have done to your JCW? I still would like to run at PBIR though.

http://jdmsouth.com/f124/one-largest...ot-like-56278/ is ocming up sunday after next. a forum friend from jdmsouth.com is running this event and might be fun to take stockish mini's out there.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:02 AM
fladale
1st Gear
My 09 had a KWv3 front and rear that had been re valved and stiff linear springs (TSW) , Hotchkis 25 mm rear sway bar, H sport rear camber links, Vorshlag front camber plates and hoosier R-6 for the track. No engine modifications. I sold it a wile ago after re installing all the original parts and we bought a jcw roadster for my wife and I bought a 2013 GP. I need a weekend off to look into changing more parts. The GP suspension is softer than the KW and the GP rear sway bay is a little soft for my likes. Maybe I will try the rear sway bar first

Quick Reply: Can you help me undestand this about some GP owners?