General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti-dip rims + tire shop= embarrassing dip rip

Old 01-20-2017, 10:57 PM
murdeR53
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasti-dip rims + tire shop= embarrassing dip rip

So funny story. Went to get new tires today. Cheap little tire store, good prices. I forget to mention I have plasti dipped rims. Guy throws my first wheel up on the machine to remove the old tire, and the thing just ripped a big old strip of plasti dip off of the rim. The look of shock on the poor guys face was classic, he looked up at me like he was gonna get fired! I could've been a **** at that point and pretended to be mad, but I would've felt bad. Plus I wouldn't have been able to pull it off because I was laughing so hard.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Interesting. I plastidipped the stock daisies on my old Miata and after some heat cycling of the wheels it basically baked on and would not peel off ala Plastidip style.

I probably would have ribbed the guy a little bit, but that's my style.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:35 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Other than getting the tire rmoved that shredded your plasti dipp, what about regular washing as far as scrubbing the tire/rim. I've been looking at getting my rims powder coated. Plasti-dip,($60) vs powder coating, ($480) seems like a no brainer to me. Just concerned as to how long it will hold up to washing? And will the brake dust in-bead into the plasti-dip. I plan on staying with my white rims. Any feedback would be helpful, thanx.

Search this Thread