General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange jump in RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:55 AM
D4RTH
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange jump in RPM

Hi everyone,
I own a 2012 R58 JCW and have notice recently that if I am cruising in anywhere from 3-6 gear and floor the car around 2300-3000 rpm I get an odd (very quick) jump in rpms. Its as if you try to accelerate on a patch of ice (not quite as extreme but a similar spinning feeling without the car accelerating any faster).

Ive also noticed that if I accelerate in 5th or 6th with the cruise control on and I get this jump in rpms, my cruise control will shut off and not return to the speed I had set it at before accelerating.

I have no check engine lights on, no strange rattles, ticks or any sounds so Im a bit perplexed. Any info would be great!

Old 01-16-2017, 06:04 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
clutch going out

Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
It does sound like Clutch Slipping.

Any sign of oil leaking? If so it could be a rear crank seal leaking and oil is getting on the clutch.

Does the Clutch Pedal feel correct? There are a few possibilities, a visible inspection may be required.

Motor On!

Old 01-16-2017, 06:53 AM
D4RTH
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JABowders
It does sound like Clutch Slipping.

Any sign of oil leaking? If so it could be a rear crank seal leaking and oil is getting on the clutch.

Does the Clutch Pedal feel correct? There are a few possibilities, a visible inspection may be required.

Motor On!
No leaking that I've noticed. The pedal feels a little stiff, I was reading on other threads that it should feel rather light. Im going to be taking it in today to have it looked at, see if I can catch whatever it is early. Keeping my fingers crossed