General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast isn't always better. I returned a brand new car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:03 PM
The Rossness
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fast isn't always better. I returned a brand new car.

Oh wow, what’s a trip it’s been! For the last year I’d been looking for a car to replace my MINI Clubman S JCW. I thought I found one and bought it, a 2016 VW Golf R. I wasn’t sure when I bought it if it was the right car. I had this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach too. The dealer would only let me drive it around the block and honestly, I was pressured into buying one. On paper it’s a great car.

I traded my mini in for it and drove the VW around for a day. I HATED it. It was a very fast car, it had AWD, close to 300 horsepower, paddle shifters, an upmarket interior and absolutely no personality. If my Mini is dynamically brilliant, the Golf R was dynamically boring. What a terrible car. How can a car that’s so great on paper be so terrible to drive?

I contacted the dealer and let them know I hated the car. They were rude to me and tried to give me the runaround. They told me they’d think about what I said and would get back to me later. They brushed me off and laughed about it. (Look, I know most people don’t return a car they just bought, but the dealer should NEVER be rude to a customer. Sales is built on relationships and mutual respect.)

Anyhow, I then went to carmax to see if I could sell them the car, but I was told I needed to own the car for 6-8 weeks before they could process the title. I then went to another VW dealer who were a complete contrast to the dealership that sold me the car. They were professional and exceedingly nice.--- If I ever were to buy a car in the future, because of how nice and professional they were with me, I’d gladly shop with them. I told them my issue, how the first VW dealer never gave me a copy of my paperwork and was rude. They said they weren't surprised... ---

The first VW dealership got back to me. They offered to buy back the car, give me my mini back and refund most of my downpayment. They kept $2500 for me driving 150 miles :( . I could understand maybe $1000, but it felt like a rip-off to me. Reluctantly I agreed and got my old pal Mini back.

My mini is worse at everything and from a technical standpoint, its outclassed by a golf r in just about every way. However, it has one super import quality called “driving dynamics”. It’s a riot of a good time to drive. The Golf R SUCKS in comparison. I have my issues with my mini, but after my terrible experience with the golf and the VW dealer, I appreciate what my mini does well. I think I’m going to keep it around for a while longer and maybe supe it up some more.

I just thought I'd share my story

Peace~

Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The three cars I had before my Mini were a Mazda Miata, Porsche 911 and Scion FR-S. None of them (key word is none) made me smile as much as my Mini does.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:06 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
I had a test drive in a 2016 Golf R manual in December, and agree. It's a nice car, but didn't feel much different than the GTI. Certainly didn't feel like all 300 ponies were present, and wasn't special enough to get me out of my current R55.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:09 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
That's was an expensive and surprising, because "on paper" is what should count, but if that were true, everyone's experience on Match.com would be perfect .
Welcome back to the Mini world and maybe I can be of help with adding horsepower

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 02-05-2016, 03:22 PM
The Rossness
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
That's was an expensive and surprising, because "on paper" is what should count, but if that were true, everyone's experience on Match.com would be perfect .
Welcome back to the Mini world and maybe I can be of help with adding horsepower

My car is an S with what mini called the JCW tuning kit. It was a way to get a factory tune without going through warranty trouble. How much power can I conceivably make before my engine or transmission explode?

Old 02-05-2016, 04:45 PM
mremg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whaap
The three cars I had before my Mini were a Mazda Miata, Porsche 911 and Scion FR-S. None of them (key word is none) made me smile as much as my Mini does.
Whoa, those are some supposedly 'nice' cars. Do you mind doing a quick review compared to the MINI? My gf recently bought a NC Miata after all the raving online reviews about it. It came up short on the fun factor, but it slowly grew on me, but still not quite there yet. Here is my review on it.

On a similar note, I do own a TT RS as my weekend car and I always have similar dilemma. But when I take it to the canyons that car really shines. But for daily driving the MINI is just so much more fun. Is that the case with 911?

Old 02-05-2016, 04:48 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by The Rossness
My car is an S with what mini called the JCW tuning kit. It was a way to get a factory tune without going through warranty trouble. How much power can I conceivably make before my engine or transmission explode?
With out changing anything, but the tune, you can do another 30hp and the dealer won't be able to see it.

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 02-05-2016, 05:40 PM
The Rossness
1st Gear
Originally Posted by whaap
BTW, I have a miata in my garage. Its old, ratty and I love it. I haven't driven a 911, but I found the cayman S to be kind of meh (even though people rave about it). Years ago, I drove a BMW Z4 M and found it WAAAAYYYYYYY better than any porsche I've driven (no offense). It was very tail-happy and I found it a joy to drive. It wasn't the easiest car to drive, but it felt very rewarding. I'd like to pick one up to eventually replace my miata.

Originally Posted by mremg
Whoa, those are some supposedly 'nice' cars. Do you mind doing a quick review compared to the MINI? My gf recently bought a NC Miata after all the raving online reviews about it. It came up short on the fun factor, but it slowly grew on me, but still not quite there yet. Here is my review on it.

On a similar note, I do own a TT RS as my weekend car and I always have similar dilemma. But when I take it to the canyons that car really shines. But for daily driving the MINI is just so much more fun. Is that the case with 911?
I drove a tt rs last year and thought it was pretty cool. I also only drove it briefly. Strangly, I thought the placement of the clutch felt "off". I have US Size 11 feet and had trouble fitting my feet in the footwell. Strange, right? I drove an Elise a few years ago and had to take my shoes off to fit my feet in the footwell of that one. (Fun car BTW, but what Lotus isn't?)

Originally Posted by MarioKart
With out changing anything, but the tune, you can do another 30hp and the dealer won't be able to see it.

I've been out of warranty for about a year, so I'm not worried if the dealer sees it. I got my tune when I first bought the car. I'd like to work on making more power and the suspension (which is my biggest complaint about my mini).

I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, so I leave modding up to the pros. Is there a guide to modding my mini? I'm kind of clueless in that regard. I was recommended a garage (I'm in CT) called Swift performance. Anyone ever hear of them?

I'm thinking something like a bigger, high pressure turbo and intercooler. With my tune, I think my mini makes 197 HP. If I could make more power (250+) and not just spin the wheels, that would be awesome! (I also have paddle shifters and it has to be compatible with those).

Then there's the suspension. I have a great handling car, but it comes at the cost of ride quality. Quite frankly, it is what has made me want to sell the car. What can I do to make my car more comfortable on bad roads/ city streets, but still retain the great handling characteristics of my car? (I'm currently running a set of Dunlop Sportmaxx non-runflat tires and smaller wheels, and it doesn't help much)

Old 02-05-2016, 06:04 PM
mremg
1st Gear
BTW, I have a miata in my garage. Its old, ratty and I love it. I haven't driven a 911, but I found the cayman S to be kind of meh (even though people rave about it). Years ago, I drove a BMW Z4 M and found it WAAAAYYYYYYY better than any porsche I've driven (no offense). It was very tail-happy and I found it a joy to drive. It wasn't the easiest car to drive, but it felt very rewarding. I'd like to pick one up to eventually replace my miata.

I drove a tt rs last year and thought it was pretty cool. I also only drove it briefly. Strangly, I thought the placement of the clutch felt "off". I have US Size 11 feet and had trouble fitting my feet in the footwell. Strange, right? I drove an Elise a few years ago and had to take my shoes off to fit my feet in the footwell of that one. (Fun car BTW, but what Lotus isn't?)
Yeah Z4M (along with the Boxster) is on my list to replace the Miata down the line. The TT RS has slightly different clutch/shifter feel and it took me a week to get used to it. Unlike BMW/MINI, Audi shifting feel is a little more soft. But, boy that car is fun at high rpms. It's unusually brash for Audi, whose cars are usually very numb. Never drove a Cayman/Boxster, but always intrigued by them because of the rave reviews.

Back to the Golf R - You're very lucky that you realized that it's not for you in less than a day. A few more days, it would have been much more expensive.

Bottom line, it's very hard to beat the fun factor of a MINI.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:03 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mremg

I'm not a 'high performance' driver. I enjoy a little spirited thrill now and then but being an old man it doesn't take much for my adrenalin to flow. I enjoyed the Miata and in fact owned two of them over the years. The 911 fell into the category of 'it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow'. As a daily driver it just never made me smile. When I drove the FR-S I always felt as if I was 'faking it' by driving a car that was designed like an exotic but made and priced near the price of an economy car. The Mini is great because of it incredible handling and the thing I enjoy perhaps even more is that the car is the most non-pretentious car I've ever owned.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:00 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Then there's the suspension. I have a great handling car, but it comes at the cost of ride quality. Quite frankly, it is what has made me want to sell the car. What can I do to make my car more comfortable on bad roads/ city streets, but still retain the great handling characteristics of my car? (I'm currently running a set of Dunlop Sportmaxx non-runflat tires and smaller wheels, and it doesn't help much)
I share a common interest with you. I too swapped out my runflats and I'm still looking to improve the ride quality. I've heard good things about the Koni FSD shocks, they're supposed to improve ride quality and not compromise handling. I nearly pulled the trigger on a set but I heard that Koni is having a sale coming up "soon" so I'm waiting on that. Maybe they'll help you?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 PM
dongood
4th Gear
Some random comments to prior posts.

My local indie mechanic also sells used cars, he has a Z3 era M Roadster I test drove. Wow, but the trunk is tiny. No way the wife and I could take weekend trips in the M. The newer Z4 model has the same small trunk.

But every time I drop off one of our cars a have to look at that M.

Before purchasing the R59S I test drove a 2001 911 Carerra and a 2005ish Boxter S; each for an entire day. Perhaps it was my prior R53 that biased me but the R59S won out. I know RWD is supposed to be all that, but the MINI just seems to handle better.

I was astounded at the difference Koni FSDs made to my old and much stiffer riding R53. Handling improved slightly while the passenger comfort improved drastically. The wife was very happy. I will be installing FSDs on my R59 (hopefully) this year.

I currently have the JB+ on my R59 while I focus on suspension and handling. But Mariokart is just up the freeway from me so hopefully he will still be around next year when I'm ready for a full tune.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
VW dealer may have been rude and unprofessional, but once you take the car off the lot you've taken money away from it. As a buyer I don't consider that to be a new car so I would expect a nice discount on it. I don't see how you can figure $1000 is fair but $2500 is a rip off. They probably also lost on the potential trade in profits, they might have sold it and had to walk that back. I hate defending car dealers but sometimes you have to think of both sides to be fair.

We have a Golf TDI and love it except for the diesel gate issue. Never drove an R so have no idea how it stacks up to a Mini. Had a BMW Z4 and loved it, wish I had kept it, but two seats was limiting.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:21 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific
I share a common interest with you. I too swapped out my runflats and I'm still looking to improve the ride quality. I've heard good things about the Koni FSD shocks, they're supposed to improve ride quality and not compromise handling. I nearly pulled the trigger on a set but I heard that Koni is having a sale coming up "soon" so I'm waiting on that. Maybe they'll help you?
Koni FSD's with stock or progressive spring (like NM) will make your Mini drive and handle so well. Only reason I left FSD's is because I wanted a really low stance.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:22 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by dongood
Some random comments to prior posts. My local indie mechanic also sells used cars, he has a Z3 era M Roadster I test drove. Wow, but the trunk is tiny. No way the wife and I could take weekend trips in the M. The newer Z4 model has the same small trunk. But every time I drop off one of our cars a have to look at that M. Before purchasing the R59S I test drove a 2001 911 Carerra and a 2005ish Boxter S; each for an entire day. Perhaps it was my prior R53 that biased me but the R59S won out. I know RWD is supposed to be all that, but the MINI just seems to handle better. I was astounded at the difference Koni FSDs made to my old and much stiffer riding R53. Handling improved slightly while the passenger comfort improved drastically. The wife was very happy. I will be installing FSDs on my R59 (hopefully) this year. I currently have the JB+ on my R59 while I focus on suspension and handling. But Mariokart is just up the freeway from me so hopefully he will still be around next year when I'm ready for a full tune.
When your ready, let's meet up and I will take your JB+ in on trade

Old 02-05-2016, 10:45 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What a rip off, 2500 bucks for 150 miles... but it was a new car. They'll probably sell the Golf R as a "used" car or a Demo? Definitely a horribly expensive experience.

Reading this thread and and the lead up thread "Stay or go"... I'd say I would have ordered up a new Clubman, along with and extra set of wheels to put a good set of snow tires on the car for the Winter season. Cars have to serve a bunch of purposes, unless you buy one to use as a daily driver and a second specialty car to thrash around in when those special needs have to be met. No one car can do it all.

The new Clubman has been getting great reviews, rides a little better and has a little more room without being a huge car by any means. As soon as the weather gets nice in the Spring I'll take a ride to our local Mini dealer (112 miles away) to test drive a Clubman and see what all the fuss is about. On the other side of the coin, a Mini GP would probably have been my choice if the car had to be a Wild Beast Thing. I bet a good Mini dealer would let you test drive the Clubman for a slightly longer period of time than that VW dealer allowed with their product.

In most states, you get 3 business days to back out of a deal with little if any penalty. Have no idea where the Rossness lives or details of the deal, but it seems you really got held up at that dealership. Not a great way for them to do or encourage business. But that's the way some of the dealerships roll unfortunately.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:33 AM
The Rossness
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
What a rip off, 2500 bucks for 150 miles... but it was a new car. They'll probably sell the Golf R as a "used" car or a Demo? Definitely a horribly expensive experience.

Reading this thread and and the lead up thread "Stay or go"... I'd say I would have ordered up a new Clubman, along with and extra set of wheels to put a good set of snow tires on the car for the Winter season. Cars have to serve a bunch of purposes, unless you buy one to use as a daily driver and a second specialty car to thrash around in when those special needs have to be met. No one car can do it all.

The new Clubman has been getting great reviews, rides a little better and has a little more room without being a huge car by any means. As soon as the weather gets nice in the Spring I'll take a ride to our local Mini dealer (112 miles away) to test drive a Clubman and see what all the fuss is about. On the other side of the coin, a Mini GP would probably have been my choice if the car had to be a Wild Beast Thing. I bet a good Mini dealer would let you test drive the Clubman for a slightly longer period of time than that VW dealer allowed with their product.

In most states, you get 3 business days to back out of a deal with little if any penalty. Have no idea where the Rossness lives or details of the deal, but it seems you really got held up at that dealership. Not a great way for them to do or encourage business. But that's the way some of the dealerships roll unfortunately.
I live in central CT.

I got a chance to drive the new JCW. It was nibble, but somehow, it didn't feel as sharp as my clubman. I'm not sure how that is??? Maybe I'll have to re-drive it.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
I live in central CT.

I got a chance to drive the new JCW. It was nibble, but somehow, it didn't feel as sharp as my clubman. I'm not sure how that is??? Maybe I'll have to re-drive it.
In the neighborhood!

Yes, I'd give the new JCW Mini another chance. A lot of adjustability. Might fit the bill. Make sure the tires are aired to proper spec before you drive it. Soft tires can make any car feel really bland.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Have only drove the new F56 JCW a short time. Just sitting in it I was hooked.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-10-2016, 01:21 PM
capt fred
2nd Gear
For car people, cars are like people; they have character or not. Sometimes we love cars, even if they are (like people) bad cars. I have owned 65 cars in my driving years. Most recently (in addition to my 2011 MiniS/JCW kit) a BMW M3, a 2013 Corvette Grand Sport. The Mini is still in my garage, the other two are gone. Were they "better" cars? Probably. All were paid for, so payments was not the issue. They just were not fun to drive. These little Minis just have character. After 5 years of scaring the hell out the local citizens (and some times myself) I still love that little car. They give you the sensual pleasure of speed without doing 120MPH. My other current drive is an Audi s5; another car I love. For the first time in 76 years I have two cars that are "keepers".
So don't apologize for loving your Mini, we all understand.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Agree , whatever i own in the future. I will always have the MINI setting near it.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-10-2016, 10:21 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Originally Posted by capt fred
For car people, cars are like people; they have character or not. Sometimes we love cars, even if they are (like people) bad cars. I have owned 65 cars in my driving years. Most recently (in addition to my 2011 MiniS/JCW kit) a BMW M3, a 2013 Corvette Grand Sport. The Mini is still in my garage, the other two are gone. Were they "better" cars? Probably. All were paid for, so payments was not the issue. They just were not fun to drive. These little Minis just have character. After 5 years of scaring the hell out the local citizens (and some times myself) I still love that little car. They give you the sensual pleasure of speed without doing 120MPH. My other current drive is an Audi s5; another car I love. For the first time in 76 years I have two cars that are "keepers".
So don't apologize for loving your Mini, we all understand.
Well said, Capt!

I've had a few fortunate encounters with interesting cars through the years. With way more expensive gear available all around me as a kid, the first significant one involved a seemingly lowly MG 1300. It was underpinned by that unique interconnected hydraulic suspension, a '60s mini based product that opened my eyes to small car capabilities. Due to the MG, I noticed the '74 Honda Civic CVCC. It was like a reliable Mini in search of a good radial tire that turned out to be a blast to drive... approaching the fun factor I found in the MG 1300, and then an extremely lucky encounter with a Mini while I was working a month+ long military exercise in England in the Spring of 1979.

Those cars pretty much sealed my car journey, always going for the small light cars to use as personal transport. Then a friend of mine bought a used R53 in 2007 and dropped by to show me. After driving that car (was already living in Maine, where Mini dealerships are absent) the stage was set for a Mini some day. Took a while. Lots of looking and test driving and head scratching and reading. The toughest part turned out to be convincing my wife to add car to the stable.

It was a passing Roadster in town that caught her eye finally one day. I was moving more toward an R53, R56, and for a while the R55, so at that point I went to work reading up and looking for Roadsters and some Coupes.

Totally enjoyed every Mini I drove during the search. These Minis are all really about fun for anyone who loves to drive. Was worth the work and wait to get one finally.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:29 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I've always said before you buy a car a dealer should let you drive it for a couple days. I need to get used to a car before I decide if I want to own it.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:37 AM
IslandJCW
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I was looking for a Porsche Cayman S or BMW 335i before buying my 05 JCW.
I drove a lot of cars and for sure the Cayman was a great car. When I did take out my MINI for a drive it had personality and a feel the others just didn't.
It's not as quick or polished as the Cayman.. But the smiles factor was pretty high in this little go-cart.
My MINI isn't my daily driver and every time I get behind the wheel .. I still grin. I know how u feel ..
There's something about a MINI that other cars can't replace.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
" There's something about a MINI that other cars can't replace. "

Yes.

Quick Reply: Fast isn't always better. I returned a brand new car.