General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI Road Rage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:21 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dongood
Again with the quick "blame the victim"?

Accident #1: I was sitting, stopped, at a red light and I get rear ended.
Accident #2: I kid in a pick-up performs an illegal u-turn in front of me, another foot and I would have avoided the accident.
Accident #3: I am 3rd car back, stopped, waiting at a red light, on a residential street. A woman backs out of her driveway hitting me.
Accident #4: I am making a right turn, on a 2-lane turn, in the outer lane when I get hit from behind by a car in the inner lane that decides to go straight.
Accident #5: I am driving 5-10 MPH in a crowded Costco parking lot when I come to a complete stop at a stop sign only to get rear ended by the car behind me.
Accident #6: In freeway gridlock with speeds between 10 and 20mph a pick-up tries to force his way in front of the car behind me, clipping the rear of my car in the process. This idiot, already on the freeway, entered an on-ramp "lane" to speed past the cars in front of him and the guy behind me made an attempt to block him out, and I was hit because of it.

All of my accidents, except for when I was 17/18, have been in this single car; and I while there was body damage the car never received frame or structural damage and was always safe to drive.

I agree that the rhetorical "you" should ask what is going on, but automatically blaming the driver is not right.

So what is going on? That R53 Checkmate will be the last small dark colored car I will ever own.

I have avoided innumerable other accidents; but the fact the MINI is harder to see is something you must always be aware of.

As I said in my first post on this thread

One could argue that it is because I am a defensive driver that none of my accidents were serious.

Even you must agree that your blithe "have you ever heard of a defensive driving course" was out of line; especially given the accidents I have had.
So you think that all these people intentionally hit you because you drive a Mini?

Old 10-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Id like to hear from more bikers. I know one has said he doesnt notice any aggression. What about others of you? Do you think its directed at you because you drive a Mini, or is it the same BS you deal with when riding?

Old 10-21-2015, 04:45 PM
KeziaPurrs
2nd Gear
Wow, it's sounding like "Post Rage" in here.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:56 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj

I see one post person is from Detroit ..... hmmmmmm

foreign car in Detroit ....

Could it be: Houston we have a problem?.... .
Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, VW/Audi, Bentley, Fiat, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, not to mention a bunch of international suppliers all call Detroit home in some fashion. You're way out of touch on the foreign angle.

You completely failed to reply with a useful comment, unless proving you're out of touch was your goal. You have proven repeatedly you're unable to understand the situations at hand, and repeatedly asserted that blaming the victim is the only logical conclusion. You apparently think that "foreign" cars deserve to be vandalized and their owners deserve to be assaulted and murdered. After all, we deserved it.

You win at achieving sociopath of the day award. Just because you live in a bubble where nothing has ever happened to you, absolutely does not mean things don't happen. You making up asinine rationalizations only prove how unwilling you are to accept that not everyone in society is well-screwed together. How's that for irony?

Last edited by Ryephile; 10-21-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Blues Trucker
Id like to hear from more bikers. I know one has said he doesnt notice any aggression. What about others of you? Do you think its directed at you because you drive a Mini, or is it the same BS you deal with when riding?
The MINI is not the car that's received the most negative UNSOLICITED behavior (Capt Beej can't figure that one out), though it did happen a few times when they were new on the market.

I don't get any intentionally negative behavior specifically towards my motorcycle, just the typical people-not-looking-cuz-they're-on-their-phones stuff. That's why you have to ride defensively and be highly situationally aware.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
The MINI is not the car that's received the most negative UNSOLICITED behavior (Capt Beej can't figure that one out), though it did happen a few times when they were new on the market.

I don't get any intentionally negative behavior specifically towards my motorcycle, just the typical people-not-looking-cuz-they're-on-their-phones stuff. That's why you have to ride defensively and be highly situationally aware.
OK. I dont know if Im following anymore. You are saying that this is different than what you experience on the bike, But you are saying it is not solely the Mini that has been the target of this?
If I am on the right track I think you are saying it was a range of IMPORT cars youve received this recklessness in?

Old 10-23-2015, 08:00 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Nope, nowhere did I say import had anything to do with it, unless you're trying to turn that into a point. Read my post on the previous page. The MINI isn't the only car people see on the road. People absolutely lose their mind (could be positive or negative) if they see a Ferrari or Lamborghini et al on the road, however.

In my experience, regardless of location throughout the USA:
*Motorcycle: no negative behavior
*Exotic and Prius: high incidence of unsolicited negative behavior
*MINI's: medium negativity in the past, nothing observed lately
*Boring cars that average people assume they should drive: no reaction

Old 10-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, VW/Audi, Bentley, Fiat, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, not to mention a bunch of international suppliers all call Detroit home in some fashion. You're way out of touch on the foreign angle.

You completely failed to reply with a useful comment, unless proving you're out of touch was your goal. You have proven repeatedly you're unable to understand the situations at hand, and repeatedly asserted that blaming the victim is the only logical conclusion. You apparently think that "foreign" cars deserve to be vandalized and their owners deserve to be assaulted and murdered. After all, we deserved it.

You win at achieving sociopath of the day award. Just because you live in a bubble where nothing has ever happened to you, absolutely does not mean things don't happen. You making up asinine rationalizations only prove how unwilling you are to accept that not everyone in society is well-screwed together. How's that for irony?
WOW

you convinced me YODA

btw

I bet my insurance rates are lower than yours!

Old 10-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
unless you're trying to turn that into a point.
Im not trying to turn anything into a point.
Im just trying to figure out WTF the problem is, but Im done.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:11 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
There are A-Hole drivers everywhere! I get tailgated in my MINI as much as I do in my Dodge Ram pickup. Most people just can't drive....or drive like they are bent out of shape all the time.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:57 AM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anything I've experienced the opposite. Admittedly my new MINI is electric blue with white stripes and roof but people DO seem to see that I exist more than they do when I'm driving my apparently invisible Toyota Highlander.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yesterday after work. Little man in a BIG dodge pickup for no apparent reason was up on my ***. I did nothing wrong. I was driving a friend from work home so I had no intention of driving aggressively nor did I cut anyone off. We were on a 2 lane road. BUT since he was basically in my back seat I slowed down. Took my time leaving the red lights etc. to help his mood get a lil better. I hope to run into him again someday

Old 11-25-2015, 09:51 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Another factor that possibly could play into this for some of the people that feel they're being 'singled out' because they drive a Mini is: If you drive like an *** hat you will likely be treated like an *** hat.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
He was the *** hat prior to me driving like an *** hat. The closer you get to my rear the slower I go.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:30 PM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
I come from a family used to big German cars with the occasional Lexus SUV. Prior to my first MINI I was in an M-Class Benz. It took me some time to get used to the size.

My point is, people that tailgate and merge very close exist everywhere. I find that living in LA, you have to force your way in especially during traffic. Almost to say "either you give me room or I'm gonna slowly sideswipe the front of your car." Then offer a polite hand wave to show them "thanks for letting me cut you off." Unless you are driving an exotic car, many will close the gap on you if you give advanced warning by signaling too early.

In the M-Class it didn't bother me cause I was bigger than most but mostly cause tailgaters seamed much further away from me as the driver. In the MINI someone can be tailgating the same distance and it felt uncomfortable. Something tall like a truck or full size SUV and I have headlights a foot from my rear window. That was the tiny R53. The R55 is not so bad.

But the first years of the R53, many gave special treatment on the road since it was such a new and novel car. Those were the days when people in the parking lot would stop me to ask questions, random thumbs up on the freeway, and if you see another MINI you sped up to drive next to them until your exit. Kind of like when my sister bought here first VW Beetle when it first came out. People gave you special attention and gave you room to pass if you needed it. Those days are long gone.

Now MINIs are too common, and there no longer is special treatment given. Like a cute baby boy that eventually grew up to be a terrorizer like everyone else on the playground, no more love. You get cut off just like everyone else. You cut off people when they don't give you the option not to.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:47 AM
_ynot
1st Gear
I have only owned my MINI for five weeks, but I have noticed there is a lot of testosterone out there. I didn't notice this nearly as much the last ten years driving my silverado. Guys in pick ups don't like me passing them in the MINI. People are always trying to get infront of me. I see a lot more people pass me on two lane roads, and I am driving faster than I do in the truck.

There sure are a lot of insecure people out there.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I noticed road rage most when I did my time in Florida, it seemed like prison would be. No offense to you FL residents on board. Here in Oregon, it is much calmer as was California. Even N Y, back in my days was calmer, no I'm exaggerating it was always pretty raucous on the LIE.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if road rage or bad driving are directed at me more because I'm in my MINI or if I'm just noticing it more because STAY AWAY FROM MY BABY!

When a large vehicle starts moving over on me in my Forester or tailgating me, it's one thing. When it's in my MINI, though, it feels so much worse because they're much larger than I am. When I'm being tailgated, especially at night with their headlights pressed against my rear window, it's almost like I could reach behind me into the back seat and touch their hood.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Southern Marylander
it's almost like I could reach behind me into the back seat and touch their hood.
It's called 'Rectal Enfilade' (learned that term from an ex Armored Div. officer friend). They can't imagine a situation wherein you may be required to apply your brakes for any possible unexpected situation. It is especially worrisome during the rut.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
and I am driving faster than I do in the truck

wanna read that one back to yourself

put yourself in the driver seat of the PUT

an reconsider?

Old 12-01-2015, 05:51 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
It's called 'Rectal Enfilade' (learned that term from an ex Armored Div. officer friend). They can't imagine a situation wherein you may be required to apply your brakes for any possible unexpected situation. It is especially worrisome during the rut.
I actually was almost rear-ended on the commute home yesterday. I had anticipated someone being an idiot, so when a SUV pulled out in front of me from a side road, I was able to break (harder than normal, but no squealing tires or anything) without a problem. The idiot behind me was tailgating though and had to swerve into the left lane. Fortunately, there wasn't a car right there.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:54 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
and I am driving faster than I do in the truck

wanna read that one back to yourself

put yourself in the driver seat of the PUT

an reconsider?
If he drives his pickup at the speed limit exactly and drives his MINI at five over, what's the problem? Also, I fail to see how his speed on a two lane road justifies others passing more aggressively on such a road. Theoretically, if he's driving faster, other cars should need to pass him less than if he's driving slower.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
I'll quote m'self from a thread from another forum: "I set the cruise at 6 above posted. People still pass me and I quietly thank them for sacrificing themselves as LEO bait."

Old 12-01-2015, 03:31 PM
_ynot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Southern Marylander
If he drives his pickup at the speed limit exactly and drives his MINI at five over, what's the problem? Also, I fail to see how his speed on a two lane road justifies others passing more aggressively on such a road. Theoretically, if he's driving faster, other cars should need to pass him less than if he's driving slower.

That is pretty much what I meant. I do get passed more on the two lane roads, and the part about pickups not liking to be passed is more on the highway. Maybe I just notice it more now.

Whether it is real or just perceived, it seems to me that others are more aggressive when I am in the MINI.

It all boils down to this:
Anyone driving faster than me is an idiot, and anyone driving slower than me is a moron.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by _ynot
It all boils down to this:
Anyone driving faster than me is an idiot, and anyone driving slower than me is a moron.
Thank you Funniest Man In The World, George Carlin.