General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini fell on my Father.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Inziladun
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini fell on my Father.

So my car (Mini 08 S) was overheating pretty badly, gave me no warnings or anything, just shut off... and boy was that engine hot. I'm not sure why it would have done this but I'm guessing my temp sensor is shot. So my Father and I were looking it over, trying to determine the damage (it tries to turn over, which is good, but pretty sure the engine is ruined.) It was about to rain so we were rushing a bit.

Anyway, my dad's trying to get to some cracked plastic piece underneath the intake manifold, where water is spewing out. When my Dad asks me to crank it up a little higher, which I did. It was at this point I'm thinking we should have a Jack Stand underneath, but didn't get one... He goes back to work and asks me to crank it up a little higher and that's when the jack gave out and crushed my Father underneath.

It was the scariest moment of my life, thinking I had witnessed my Dad die right before my eyes. I panicked of course but managed to get the car back up and get him out. He pulled through with a few cracked ribs, cracked sternum and broken collar bone and is on the mend after a couple days in the hospital. I have a lot of feelings of guilt, that it was my fault, which is why it's therapeutic to write about it. Of course my Dad doesn't blame me one bit, we both just learned a valuable lesson.

So just a reminder guys, ALWAYS have some backup protection when you're under the car. If not a Jack Stand a tire or a cinder block or SOMETHING. Even Mini Coopers are too heavy to bench press.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:43 PM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy ****! Good luck and positive thoughts for your pops!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:33 PM
jr_R52
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow! Best wishes for a rapid and full recovery to your dad. Just goes to show you that no job is too important or urgent not to be done safely.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:04 PM
Kinetic89
2nd Gear
I'm sorry you and your father had to experience that, sounds scary for sure.

ALWAYS use a jack-stand and chock the vehicle. Added hassle sometimes but can potentially save a life.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Old 08-24-2015, 11:12 PM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! What a scare that must of been. Glad to hear he is on the mend. A little safety goes a long way.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 AM
meental
1st Gear
please dont use cinder blocks, they give a false sense of security. if the car was to fall, it would more than likely crush the cinder block and you would be in the same situation, buy proper jack stands, if working on the side of the road, put the wheels under the car.

im glad your father is ok, give him my wishes.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That is terrifying and I really hope your father recovers quickly and without difficulty (relatively speaking).

Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow, that must have been just terrifying to witness. Very glad to hear your dad is alright. Sending positive thoughts your way to a speedy and healthy recovery for your father.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Glad to hear it wasn't more serious, but it is just dumb to get under a car that is not properly secured. And rushing to do repairs is obviously not smart.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:46 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm very glad you were there to get your Dad out. Had you not been the outcome could have been the worst possible. Don't blame yourself. Both of you were wrong in the choices you made. You are now both much wiser for your experience. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Best wishes to your Dad for a complete recovery.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Csbdr
3rd Gear
Glad he's still with us! Hope he has a speedy recovery

Old 08-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yup, don't beat yourself up about it. Use it as a lesson--never EVER get under a car that is not solidly supported by jack-stands!

I also prefer the type that use a pin to set the height, as opposed to the ones that have a ratchet. I have a friend who bumped the handle of a ratchet-style one, and had his car fall on his head. He tells me that facial reconstruction surgery isn't pleasant, and that's something I really don't want to confirm for myself.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:48 PM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I use jack stands and a floor jack when working on cars, even if all I am doing is taking a wheel off and have no intentions of getting underneath the car. Jacks just aren't trustworthy.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 PM
SolCalMini
1st Gear
Wow !!! I'm a father of 2 boys of driving age and in the process of teaching them how to take care of their cars. You can never be too safe !

I knew a guy from a supply house who was a huge rally car racer always used jack stands ! He had a big race on the weekend worked on his car in his elderly mothers driveway !
Long story short she came out one morning found him dead under his car that fell off the jack stands !!!

We old farts don't heal as quick ! Tell your dad to bye a lottery ticket !!
Really dodged a bullet !!!

Thx for the story I can get careless at times and have more to lose now if I do F up !

Old 08-30-2015, 11:13 AM
sbninja
3rd Gear
Mini fell on my Father.

Wow! Scary! Glad he is pulling through. It could have been much worse.

I always use back up when going under my vehicles when jacked up.

It's a matter of fact in the jeep community (off road), you remove a tire/wheel and place it under the vehicle when jacked up. Safety first!

DIY is not cut out for everyone, A man has got to know his limitations

Old 08-30-2015, 12:50 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
If not a Jack Stand a tire or a cinder block
Jack stands, yes, a spare tire or rim under the car, yes, cinderblocks, no...they crumble instantly in some cases...using them under a car has killed many.
Sorry to hear of your accident...its not your fault, anybody should have known better.
Now a real question...did this happen or are you just monitoring this thread to write a psychology paper on social media and apathy? Since you have never posted since the initial post to thank folks for the good thoughts and prayers, it makes me wonder.....

Old 08-31-2015, 07:51 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Jack stands, yes, a spare tire or rim under the car, yes, cinderblocks, no...they crumble instantly in some cases...using them under a car has killed many. Sorry to hear of your accident...its not your fault, anybody should have known better. Now a real question...did this happen or are you just monitoring this thread to write a psychology paper on social media and apathy? Since you have never posted since the initial post to thank folks for the good thoughts and prayers, it makes me wonder.....
maybe a car fell on him!

Old 09-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
"Now a real question...did this happen or are you just monitoring this thread to write a psychology paper on social media and apathy? Since you have never posted since the initial post to thank folks for the good thoughts and prayers, it makes me wonder....."

If so, another word of warning...