General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had enough...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:30 PM
puniphorous
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had enough...

Wow. I was soooooo excited to get my MINI!

I called it my rocket-powered rollerskate.

NEVER have I had a car give me more smiles!

Never have I had a car give me more trouble!

After I did the math, combining my car-payment, insurance, and repair/maintenance costs, I could have bought a brand new car.

On a whim, I test-drove a 2015 Honda Civic Si.

I now own a new Honda, and the Honda Dealer has to get rid of a MINI.

Turns out EVERYBODY in my circle of important people likes the Honda more.

Even me.

Deuces Y'all. Selling some miscellaneous parts off, and I am OUT.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:09 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You unloaded a car with one of the poorest reputations for reliability for a car with the best reputation. Congratulations. Sounds like a winner.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:25 AM
chappybmode
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your circle of friends must have no personality. haha but really as long as your happy thats all that matters. Good luck and safe motoring

Old 07-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I often tell customers with big repair bills that they would not have as big a repair bill if they were driving a Toyota or Honda, but then they would be driving a Toyota or Honda.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
I often tell customers with big repair bills that they would not have as big a repair bill if they were driving a Toyota or Honda, but then they would be driving a Toyota or Honda.
But hey, you can get one in orange!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:11 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Not sure if it is "driving" or aiming!!
You drive a MINI...but you operate a Honda/Toyota.....Kinda dealing with an appliance...
Last one I drove it was like washing my laundry...load it up...push a button, get stuff out when done...
I can see how it CAN be refreshing to not ALWAYS have the rally car experience when you go for a drive, but NEVER having it is a shame.
In either case, best of luck!! Folks love their cars till they don't, then its time to move on!!
Me...I'm still hanging onto the odds and ends for my old MINI.....you never know when a MINI might follow you home!!

Old 07-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by puniphorous

There’s not a MINI owner out there who has not had second thoughts to the point were it drove them mental.

I think with that statement you need to take stock in your friends. I don’t live vicariously though other people’s possessions and don’t want such people as friends.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:01 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by puniphorous View Post

Peer pressure....
Guess some folks worry about how others perceive them...
I always liked what I liked...I am my own person, and if it is different than others like, so be it.
You may find that trying to keep others happy, but neglecting yourself will leave you feeling hollow and worthless....only after you are happy, can you truely help others become happy.....simply making the same choice as others does not guarantee you will like the choice cause you are not them...

Old 07-02-2015, 01:26 PM
puniphorous
2nd Gear
As it happens, I did not consult with anyone before buying the Honda. Just listened to feedback AFTER getting the Honda.

As for character, my wee Honda is an Si. So it's not completely boring. It just hasn't got the same headaches. It goes like stink.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:43 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
As it happens, I did not consult with anyone before buying the Honda. Just listened to feedback AFTER getting the Honda. As for character, my wee Honda is an Si. So it's not completely boring. It just hasn't got the same headaches. It goes like stink.
yea, but it's a Honda, a brand ruled by fart cans and giant wings. No thanks.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:08 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bavmotors
yea, but it's a Honda, a brand ruled by fart cans and giant wings. No thanks.
Nah, that's just the owners.

The new Sis are not bad cars at all... one of very few FWD cars offered with a real LSD from the factory.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:33 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Around me Toyota's, and Honda's only come in 3 colors. Silver, White or Beige/Gold color. Saw a Orange Honda Civic coupe not to long ago owner painted it with a Rattle can, I could tell where the lap marks were. My wife got the Mini because it was different and had a Sparkling Silver Body and Black roof and stripes on the hood.

Tom

Old 07-02-2015, 08:11 PM
CooperS84
3rd Gear
Haha yes he does, we had that conversation. I still have my MINI

Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Zillon
Nah, that's just the owners.

The new Sis are not bad cars at all... one of very few FWD cars offered with a real LSD from the factory.
If I could have found an unmolested EP3 i would have picked that over my S. The funny part is that's it's made in the UK.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Rrotz
2nd Gear
I spent about $12k in upgrades and to fix a clutch that was bad and not picked up in a maintenance check straight out of the dealer, on top of the price of the car....i've spent about $24k Australian dollars.....that's over $30k USD for a 2004. Outrageous but I'm sticking with it until I have the clutch fixed, pulley, exhaust and other upgrades put in. I'm stuck with it, my wife hates my decision but I'm going to keep it and play with it and enjoy it.

I have a 1995 toyota RAV4 2dr cruiser that I have with 225000kms on the clock and still going strong. I gave it to my wife who's just learning to drive and I'm enjoying my MINI. It's going to be a beast when it's done and its's going to give me alot of pleasure but I'm always going to have to live with the amount of money put into it.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
There’s not a MINI owner out there who has not had second thoughts to the point were it drove them mental.

I think with that statement you need to take stock in your friends. I don’t live vicariously though other people’s possessions and don’t want such people as friends.

I have never once regretted buying a MINI. I'm going on 6 years of ownership, and it has NEVER failed. It did get a recall that was taken care of during routine service.

Yes, I replaced the brakes (pads and rotors, and sensors) at 30K miles, no problem there, I wore them out...

Yes, I have put 3 sets of tires on it, (plus a set of snow tires and rims for winter), but I wore them out.

My car is a complete joy. I rotate the wheel, I inspect the car, I perform required maintenance... No trouble what so ever...

So there ya go.

But a Honda? Well as someone said, it's a very nice appliance...

Old 07-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The MINI isn't for everyone. It's a lifestyle fueled by passion. I understand the finance complaint, there are plenty of lemon MINIs out there. The Si is a fine car, the people bashing it are ignorant to it. Peace and enjoy.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 AM
whaap
5th Gear
I've belonged to many automobile forums over the years: Corvette, Porsche (911), Miata, FR-S and Mini Cooper. On every one of those forums they were always bashing Toyota's and Honda's. One thing I have to say for those 'appliance' brands is my wife has owned five different Toyota's and three different Honda's (all new) and none of them (key word is none) were ever taken to the dealership for a warranty problem. Those of us owning one of the poorest rated vehicles made shouldn't be throwing stones.

So as much as I love my Mini it's comforting to know my wife's CR-V is standing by as back-up.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I came to MINI from a Honda CRX. It was a fun little car, and not so much of an appliance. Except that it did tend to start every time I turned the key, and got me where I wanted to go and back again, without fuss.

Thing was, it was old enough to drink, and I already have one old car to keep up with. Plus Da Boss said I needed to have a car with airbags and whose crumple zones in 65 MPH crashes did not include the driver's seat.

I haven't had any second thoughts about my MINI. He has had a couple of problems, but nothing serious, and he is even more fun to drive than the CRX was.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:18 AM
iclancy82
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. I was soooooo excited to get my MINI!

I called it my rocket-powered rollerskate.

NEVER have I had a car give me more smiles!

Never have I had a car give me more trouble!

After I did the math, combining my car-payment, insurance, and repair/maintenance costs, I could have bought a brand new car.

On a whim, I test-drove a 2015 Honda Civic Si.

I now own a new Honda, and the Honda Dealer has to get rid of a MINI.

Even me.

Deuces Y'all. Selling some miscellaneous parts off, and I am OUT.
My R56 tuned to 220hp with many other supporting mods has given me 100% trouble free enjoyment. Never even seen a check engine light more than once. Daily driver, 107K miles. Sucks for you. Enjoy your sterile Honda!

Old 07-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Ugh, I'm glad you're happy, but I can't stand the driving experience of hondas. it's so numb and blah. I've had 2 R53's one went 153k hard miles with very little going wrong (1 wheel bearing, 1 radiator, 1 ps pump (paid for by MINI) and 1 crank pulley) other than that it was just tires and brakes until I got hit by a snow plow, I walked away but the car was totaled. My new R53 looks like it will be the same and it's only at 67k.

My car is not the most practical or cheapest but I love the driving experience of it. I'm already looking for a 3rd R53 to put in storage for when this one drives its last mile.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:36 PM
whaap
5th Gear
My present MINI is the first one I've ever known. As much as I love it I know I'll be trading it in before the new car warranty expires, probably for a new MINI.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:24 PM
monty2013
1st Gear
I generally just read postings on this cite and don't add my $0.02, but I feel I must add my personal comments to this thread. I'm probably older than most of you that are reading this. I've owned four Hondas, and i loved them all. Never had any problems with them, they were a joy to own, very low maintenance to keep on the road, and I still swear by them. For some reason, and I'm not sure why, I purchased a 2007 MINI S and fell in love with it. Then in 2009 I bought a JCW, OH I loved this car, but I just didn't think the premium over the S was worth it. Then in 2012 I purchased an S Clubman, I now had a big dog, it was just what the doctor ordered. Then just a few months later I saw a 2013 Clubman S, with just 2,200 miles on the odometer, and lots more options then mine offered at a Mercedes Dealer, and I bought it, and I'm still driving it. I guess my salient points are MINI's are not for everyone, but there's always a deal on a used one.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:47 PM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
My first brand new car was a 2000 Civic Ex. Pretty decent car for the money at the time but nothing great to speak of...just never had any problems after 55000 miles. Couldn't say I really liked it or hated it....it was just Meh!

Before I bought my 3rd new car, I made the mistake of test driving a 2008 R56S. Ordered one almost immediately. Loved that car...and still wish I had it, it was setup/modded exactly the way I wanted. The wife wanted to get something bigger cause a little one was on the way, so we bought a Jetta TDI.

Anyway, a couple of cars later(I went through 3 in about 2 years due to a long commute), I bought a 2005 Honda Accord sedan with only 80k miles for the long commute. Reliability...dependable...boy was I wrong. Biggest piece of trash I've ever owned. Several horribly expensive electrical and transmission problems. I won't ever buy a Honda again. Sold it after 10 thousand miles....about 6 months.

After another car and finally a shorter commute with a company vehicle....I had to get myself back to a MINI. So last winter I bought a 2011 Clubman S. Couldn't be happier. I realized why I missed my 1st MINI so much...there is nothing like these cars.

As said above, MINIs aren't for everyone but for the fun these cars offer I don't really ever see being without one. I guess my point is all cars have bad seeds...MINI, to me, is a brand worth overlooking the bad seeds!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:33 PM
elvis cole
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So, these three clowns go into a Mini forum and bad mouth Minis and brag on some other brand of car......get it? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Quick Reply: Had enough...