General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56: Front Left Headlight Has Different Color Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:03 AM
cbowlan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56: Front Left Headlight Has Different Color Temp?

Hey guys,

First post here on NA Motoring... Had my MINI for a year or so now, but needed the headlights buffed up and cleared. Took it to a good shop and had it done, but soon after noticed my front left headlight was more yellow (halogen-y) than the front right. They are both supposed to be xenon.

Here's my questions:
  1. Is it possible that a ballast is weakening?
  2. Is it that I've never noticed it is not the correct bulb?
  3. Is it that the bulb itself is dulling?

I've added some photos so you know what I'm talking about.

Front of car.

Front left headlight.

Front right headlight.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Xenon bulbs produce more blue light as they age. The OEM xenon bulbs are 4300K color, which has a slight yellow when new (but nowhere near the yellow of a halogen) and become more white/bluish as it ages. Yellow is actually good for visibility because human eyes are more sensitive to yellow than blue. Some people like to replace their bulbs with whiter/bluer bulbs (5000K or higher) for styling reasons but it actually makes nighttime visibility worse.

In your case, I'd say the bulbs are aging at a different rate (the blue side is aging faster), or only one bulb (right/passenger side) got replaced at some point and it is a newer bulb than the other side.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:28 PM
cbowlan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Xenon bulbs produce more blue light as they age. The OEM xenon bulbs are 4300K color, which has a slight yellow when new (but nowhere near the yellow of a halogen) and become more white/bluish as it ages. Yellow is actually good for visibility because human eyes are more sensitive to yellow than blue. Some people like to replace their bulbs with whiter/bluer bulbs (5000K or higher) for styling reasons but it actually makes nighttime visibility worse.

In your case, I'd say the bulbs are aging at a different rate (the blue side is aging faster), or only one bulb (right/passenger side) got replaced at some point and it is a newer bulb than the other side.
Hm... Well that makes me feel a lot better! The side with the more yellow bulb was a more foggy headlight, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with aging.

The color difference isn't major and nobody would ever notice unless it was pointed out, but the OCD part of me wants them the same. Either way, a new bulb is like $99 and I've already spent enough on cosmetics. I'm ready for some mechanical investments.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 07-06-2015, 12:25 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Replace them in pairs, most likely one was replaced at a time. As they age they change color.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-07-2015, 12:54 PM
cbowlan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Replace them in pairs, most likely one was replaced at a time. As they age they change color.
That's what I did! Thanks for the tip!