General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB Power On Key

Old 06-30-2015, 03:46 PM
CaptKen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB Power On Key

First time poster and Mini owner. I couldn't find this specific question, so please limited flaming if I missed something.

I have a 2013 Roadster, and I notice the USB power is always on. I've attached
this USB Bluetooth adapter this USB Bluetooth adapter
-- the car only has BT Phone, not A2DP music.

I like this adapter because in my truck, it's powered on and off with the key -- key power == USB power.

My Mini apparently always has USB power on. Is there any way to get shut the power off when the key is pulled? I really want it to auto-disconnect when I leave the car, but more importantly, I don't want to kill the battery...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:01 PM
meental
1st Gear
i dont believe the usb is always powered, it is powered when you unlock the car, and for a few minutes after you lock the car, but not constant.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:09 PM
CaptKen
Neutral
Just checked again -- it's off. You appear to be right. So much for that test I did before I posted.

Disregard. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:07 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
There are so many quirky things about these cars. A few days ago, my wife was complaining the outside lights turning on and off when the car was parked. Still under warranty so took it to the dealer today. Tech looked it over, then came in to speak with him. Basically said, he couldn't find anything (was not surprised), but said he wanted to show me a 'feature'. With car off, key out, he pulled the left stalk back (the one for lights), sure enough the lights came on. They are on a timer and turn off after a few minutes. Well, seems my wife sometimes hits that guy when she gets out..

Old 07-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
There's also the "follow me home" feature that can be turned on using the on board menus. That turns the lights on after you lock the car for some specific amount of time, theoretically lighting your way to your door. I do not have that enabled, because having the lights come on by themselves bugs me. I have run batteries flat in older cars by leaving the headlights on...