General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:01 PM
clevercorgi
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help a newbie!

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy an used mini cooper from a dealership in the next few days and I need help, in assessing the situation.

It's a Preowned 2010 MINI Cooper Hardtop

It's in great shape, and it's only been driven 57k miles... the transmission is manual

BUT! It will be my first car, so I don't know what to expect regarding maintenance. At 57k, should I expect to invest a lot of money in maintaining the car in the next few months?

And I don't know if this helps but this is the vehicle's carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...5523D3D6239081

Any advice or comments regarding how reliable this model is, and how much will it cost me to keep it running, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 06-30-2015, 02:07 PM
laforze
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you aren't prepared to pay money for maintenance and repair on a car, I would say a mini is not really for you. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car and I love mine, but it's just not a Toyota or Honda when it comes to low maintenance needs.

I've just hit 100k and i've started to fork over money on stuff that's needing to be replaced. Typical parts for a mini or any euro are usually 2-3x more expensive than other cars.

With that said, if you don't have money issues (like myself) enjoy the mini because they are definitely fun to have.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:36 PM
clevercorgi
Neutral
Hi laforze,

Could you please provide me with a couple of examples from your experience as an owner of a mini? Just to earn some perspective.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2015, 02:46 PM
laforze
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uhm. Well under warranty I had about 3-4k of work done. Airbag censor replaced, couple of fuel pumps. Water pump i believe. Turbo oil line, tensioner chain. etc.

As of recently i've had a couple oil leaks and had something like 2-3 gaskets this time around and another prior. Those two sessions ran me like $500. Thermostat.

Now i have to have my clutch done. This will be $1,500+ going to an independent mechanic. Could be up to $3k if you went to the stealerships, depending on which one you go to.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:04 PM
clevercorgi
Neutral
Wow, that's quite pricey!

Thank you for your insights though!

Old 06-30-2015, 03:09 PM
whalejr31
1st Gear
I am new to the MINI world so i let me start with that.

But lately i have done a lot of research before purchasing my 2011 Clubman S and if you can find something 2011 or newer i would say it is worth the effort! Do a search for N14 and you will see the problems. I am not saying the later N18 engines that came in 2011 and newer minis is perfect just doesn't seem as touchy which is what drove me to look at 2011+ only Gen II minis!

Just my 2 cents hope you figure out what is best for you and if you do end up purchasing any mini post pics!

Old 06-30-2015, 03:53 PM
tonsabe
1st Gear
Yes to what was said.. Be sure you are familiar with the unique maintenance history of a N14 vs, the newer N18. Especially if $ is an issue.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
And don't forget all the timing chain problems with the n14 engine..

Old 06-30-2015, 08:54 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Ignore the carfax as they are not always accurate, have a real inspection done.

Being used with those miles and your first MINI I'd suggest looking into an extended warranty as that will pay for itself pretty quick.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-30-2015, 09:38 PM
a2oc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The N12 engine in the cooper should score better than the N14 in the S in terms of reliability. Cant agree more with WMW about the extended warranty as are really important in a MINI especially at this age. I got mine as a CPO and the warranty has saved my wallet lots of times and the price difference between CPO and no warranty has paid itself within the first 6 months of ownership.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Don't trust Carfax, would want to see proof of service records, shows only one service in 57000 miles!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:33 PM
clevercorgi
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Ignore the carfax as they are not always accurate, have a real inspection done.

Being used with those miles and your first MINI I'd suggest looking into an extended warranty as that will pay for itself pretty quick.
This is very useful information. Thanks.

Also, is extended warranty something I can request at the dealership while working out the details of the purchase?

Sorry if I'm asking too many basic questions, but as I said this could potentially be my first car.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:26 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I’m correct you are looking at a non-S MINI with N12 engine.

They typically are quite reliable.
You don’t say where you are but try to find an independent mechanic, familiar with MINI’s, to check it over. Maybe even a code check of the OBDC.

At the bottom of the this sites main forum page is a list of MINI Clubs. Maybe one is in your area that might be a useful resource.

Timing chains are usually not an issue with non-S > but can be. Especially if oil level has not been kept near the upper end of full.
Thermostat / sensor housing leaks are a little more common.
Check serpentine belt for wear.
Intake valve carbon buildup is typically not an issue with non-S (which use a different injection system)
Brake pad / rotor wear checks
Spark plugs
Tire wear
Shocks / struts.
Clutch wear and operation
Drive it. Verify it drives tight and straight.
Verify all the switches, ***** and gismos work and do what they are supposed to. Electrical and electronic problems can get expensive quickly.

All in all not really much different than buying most other used cars. Especially IRT to non-S Coopers.

I have 85K on my 07 non-S. Only real “non-typical issues” have been the thermostat housing leak that happened around 60K and a heater problem that came up shortly after I took delivery. Overall I’ve been satisfied with reliability. And it’s STILL fun - after 8 years.